Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 05:33 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
What if you could change your perspective and enjoy as-is? It’s possible that by the time you achieve the magazine look half your stuff could be “out of style” as far as magazines are concerned.
LOL

Our basement flooded 3 weeks ago. Carpet is ruined, drywall is ruined in one bedroom...We’ve got exposed slab and exposed foundation in one room, and a mess of ruined carpet in another room.

And we are in the middle of a bathroom remodel and finishing up the kitchen remodel.

So while I get your point, I’m a long way from where a change of perspective could help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 06:44 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
LOL

Our basement flooded 3 weeks ago. Carpet is ruined, drywall is ruined in one bedroom...We’ve got exposed slab and exposed foundation in one room, and a mess of ruined carpet in another room.

And we are in the middle of a bathroom remodel and finishing up the kitchen remodel.

So while I get your point, I’m a long way from where a change of perspective could help.
Wow - sorry you are dealing with all that!! And I totally understand your perspective. Hope you are able to get things straightened out soon.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow - sorry you are dealing with all that!! And I totally understand your perspective. Hope you are able to get things straightened out soon.
Thank you. Insurance refused the claim, although we have appealed it.

We decided to go ahead and replace the carpet through the whole house and found a great deal on a lovely wool. It will be nice to have to done, although financially we are taking a bad hit.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:51 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Thank you. Insurance refused the claim, although we have appealed it.

We decided to go ahead and replace the carpet through the whole house and found a great deal on a lovely wool. It will be nice to have to done, although financially we are taking a bad hit.
Damn. What caused the flooding? I swear that is the whole point of insurance - they can sure be frustrating to say the least.

Wool carpet is very nice. I am sure that was not cheap. What color did you go with? I replaced my stairs and (bed)room over the garage, a couple of years ago with a nice anso nylon. I will be replacing the last of my carpeting in two bedrooms, next year I think. (I replaced the rest of the downstairs with hardwood, but I prefer carpet in the bedrooms.)

Old 09-17-2021, 10:15 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Damn. What caused the flooding? I swear that is the whole point of insurance - they can sure be frustrating to say the least.

Wool carpet is very nice. I am sure that was not cheap. What color did you go with? I replaced my stairs and (bed)room over the garage, a couple of years ago with a nice anso nylon. I will be replacing the last of my carpeting in two bedrooms, next year I think. (I replaced the rest of the downstairs with hardwood, but I prefer carpet in the bedrooms.)
If it's regular homeowner's insurance they very often don't cover flooding. That's why having actual flood insurance is so important even if you don't live in a flood zone. It's very inexpensive (courtesy of NFIP) but it will save you a lot of money if your basement floods or your gutters back up with an ice dam, etc. I had it even when my house had a crawlspace because I had two sump pumps due to the high water table.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:

A sprinkler valve attached to our home failed. It is literally on the exterior brick wall where the sprinkler pipes exit the home. (Cold weather area). When the sprinklers turned on in the middle of the night, water gushed for hours. State Farm says they do not cover water on the outside of the home entering the inside of the home.

Quote:
Actually since we need so much, we got a really good price! Far less than a lot of the nylons or polyesters we considered. I know wools can get really expensive, but this one is not. (Around $2.60 ft). I guess it depends what you think is expensive?

The color is dark ivory/light camel to coordinate with our existing flooring. Maybe not the most “in” color? But it goes. I did have my heart set on one that was a wool/poly blend, it was almost white, but they can’t get enough of it.

I would do hardwoods if I could.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 09-17-2021 at 11:49 AM..

Old 09-17-2021, 05:16 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
If it's regular homeowner's insurance they very often don't cover flooding. That's why having actual flood insurance is so important even if you don't live in a flood zone. It's very inexpensive (courtesy of NFIP) but it will save you a lot of money if your basement floods or your gutters back up with an ice dam, etc. I had it even when my house had a crawlspace because I had two sump pumps due to the high water table.
There are a lot of limitations to FEMA flood insurance.

Unless it has changed recently - you can not file a claim if only your house floods - it has to be a flood over a certain size area- a few acres.

And it is getting more expensive to buy it too as they just updated their flood maps - a lot more people would have to pay more ..

As far as older homes with lived in look - quite often they are built better with the materials one can’t get anymore.
So those substantial doors with slight dings - look so much classier?

So, it could be quite useless for many people “with flood in the basement”

Last edited by L00k4ward; 09-17-2021 at 05:59 PM..

Old 09-17-2021, 06:05 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Just about the only time my home will look like a magazine is when I sell it. Other than that, I'm comfortable living in a neat home that has dinged trim from when the movers moved our furniture years ago, scratches on the floor due to our big fat dog, dog hair on the floors (no matter how many times I vacuum), carpet that has a soda stain (courtesy of our friend's 4 year old) that Resolve can't remove...

The way I look at it, we work busy jobs, have two kids, and a dog. All things considered, the home looks great but it's far from perfect.

There is one room that I don't allow kids or dog in...the parlor...now that room is like a museum.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:34 PM

I don’t want to derail the thread. I did want to mention that after 28 years with State Farm, we are switching to Farmer’s. Much better coverage at the same price. They would cover what happened to us as a “sudden and catastrophic failure of a plumbed line.”

Old 09-18-2021, 11:22 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
It’s a 94 y.o. house, it looks great - charming as hell but it’s been lived in and has the patina to prove it. We bought it from a family who raised five kids including three rambunctious boys in it so at least the wear and tear is dramatically reduced with two middle-agers living here lol.

I definitely am of the camp preferring a comfortable, vintage atmosphere over a starkly new and sterile one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House