Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 05:18 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,332 times

Advertisements

So I bought my parents a $600 stick vac since their 7 year old Dyson upright broke. I wanted to get a good one so I did my research and picked one with some of the best reviews.

One thing I noticed was that you have to monitor your battery life — even though it came with two batteries it’s still an annoyance having to switch out batteries in the middle of cleaning. It’s just something else to worry with vs a regular plug it in the socket vacuum. Each battery would last about 15 minutes…I’m a person that doesn’t like to rush at all while vacuuming so I could spend 15 minutes doing one room.

The next thing I noticed was that the stick vac doesn’t stand up by itself…it you want to move something or whatever, you have to lay it down somewhere.

The third thing is that the canister is very small so you have to empty it frequently.

The fourth and most annoying feature is that the accessories aren’t attached to the vacuum. I know the design prevents this, but it’s very annoying having to find a place to store all the tools and then having to go looking for the tool you need while vacuuming. I much prefer the design of traditional uprights that have the 2 or 3 most used tools right there on the vacuum. Storing the vacuum and accessories in different places also takes up more room…I put them all in a big bag in the laundry room.

Lastly — the price. At $600, the stick vac was about $200-300 more than a nice upright that performs about the same or better.

I believe I will return this stick vac and get my parents another Dyson upright — probably one of the $150ish refurbs that Dyson sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 06:54 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,375,189 times
Sounds like something that I don't want to own.

Our daughter bought us a roomba, but it got hung up where the floor transitions from hard floor to carpet. Some time later I bought a different brand which was advertised as being able to handle the transition and it works.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:04 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My mom wanted a lightweight cordless vac and we played around with the sticks but had the same issues you described. She ended up with a Shark Navigator Freestyle and it does the trick on her area rugs and is lightweight enough for her to move around easily. It's basically a skinny-mini upright.

I wouldn't recommend it for heavy vacuuming though. For my wall-to-wall, with pets, I have a SEBO.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:59 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
I agree with everything you stated. I bought one when I moved but mine cost only about half of yours and came with only one battery. I also checked reviews and thought I picked one of the better ones.
I vacuum almost every day and have every issue you brought up. I need to empty the canister after vacuuming each room and can't vacuum the entire house which is only about 1600 sq ft without it needing to be recharged and that's on the regular setting. If I use it on the high power setting, it will barely vacuum one room. The sucking power on the regular setting leaves much to be desired. It really won't pick up anything off the floor other than loose pet hair and dust.

On the positive side, I love not having a cord and it's very light weight to carry up and down stairs.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:30 AM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
My Dyson stick has been perfect mick.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:15 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
I have two Eureka 2 in 1 quick-up electric power, bagless stick vacs. About $60. Hardwood and rug (beater) settings. They work great.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
When my husband died unexpectedly and my daughter came in for the funeral, I told her "OK, I am going to do two bad things. First of all, I am going to rejoin the Catholic church. And I am going to buy an expensive Dyson." I did both and am very, very happy.

I am the owner of numerous vacuum cleaners and other floor cleaners because my husband loved clean floors, and he loved vacuuming and doing other floor and other cleaning stuff (steaming carpets and floors, attaching attachments and cleaning blinds or ceiling fans, etc.). So I have an upright from when we had an upstairs (can't remember the name but it wasn't cheap) and a newer Kirby with all the fancy schmancy attachments, a steamer thingie, various mop type things, and a Shark. But all of them have cords. I HATE CORDS.

The Dyson I bought runs for 45 minutes. That's long enough and then some for me to vacuum the 2200 square foot house. I generally empty the cannister one time. We do have dogs and they shed. The cannister is very easy to empty.

Once every few months, I will sigh and then drag out the Kirby and deep vacuum things, and occasionally I will even attach the carpet cleaner (which I like) and clean the carpets.

But I love the convenience of no cord. And with my Dyson, the attachments are attached to the base where the battery charges, so they're just easy to get to and easy to attach.

Happy camper here!

Old 09-16-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When my husband died unexpectedly and my daughter came in for the funeral, I told her "OK, I am going to do two bad things. First of all, I am going to rejoin the Catholic church. And I am going to buy an expensive Dyson." I did both and am very, very happy.

I am the owner of numerous vacuum cleaners and other floor cleaners because my husband loved clean floors, and he loved vacuuming and doing other floor and other cleaning stuff (steaming carpets and floors, attaching attachments and cleaning blinds or ceiling fans, etc.). So I have an upright from when we had an upstairs (can't remember the name but it wasn't cheap) and a newer Kirby with all the fancy schmancy attachments, a steamer thingie, various mop type things, and a Shark. But all of them have cords. I HATE CORDS.

The Dyson I bought runs for 45 minutes. That's long enough and then some for me to vacuum the 2200 square foot house. I generally empty the cannister one time. We do have dogs and they shed. The cannister is very easy to empty.

Once every few months, I will sigh and then drag out the Kirby and deep vacuum things, and occasionally I will even attach the carpet cleaner (which I like) and clean the carpets.

But I love the convenience of no cord. And with my Dyson, the attachments are attached to the base where the battery charges, so they're just easy to get to and easy to attach.

Happy camper here!
I never even use my Ball anymore jamall since i got the stick.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:00 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Depends on whether there is carpet or hardwood, etc. - a stick vac. is NOT the best choice for carpeting.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Depends on whether there is carpet or hardwood, etc. - a stick vac. is NOT the best choice for carpeting.
Works fine as wine on mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House