Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2021, 03:45 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Again..........I've never met a rich roofer.

I don't care what profession it is, when the customer thinks they can do it cheaper then I say GO FOR IT!

Imagine if a roofer went to hire you, then proceeded to value your job at whatever he thinks should be the going rate. You would be outraged!

Between your roof and your deck project you suddenly feel you should be the contractor and buy the materials then sub out the labor to get the cheapest finished project. Absolutely no problem, its America do whatever you want.

But to start a thread about a lot of profit made............You don't get it, it isn't a lot of profit at the end of the day/month/year because you are only considering the cost to do your job (shingles/nails/labor).

Again, I've never met a rich roofer.
Never met a “rich” roofer?

Guess you very unfamiliar with contractors as I’ve met and worked with plenty of them who have acquired all kinds of wealth in both residential and the commercial sector and that’s throughout all of the trades and disciplines.

It’s ludicrous to think there are trades, or a specific trade like roofing, that are not profitable due to a particular trade or type of work. Think of another reason to justify the price of this roof install other than saying you’ve never met a “rich” roofer, they do exist!

Last edited by Rickcin; 09-22-2021 at 04:05 PM..

Old 09-22-2021, 04:11 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
So you’re admitting all companies gouge. Got it
ummm can you read?

The quote was: "your imagined gouging"

Old 09-22-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Never met a “rich” roofer?

Guess you very unfamiliar with contractors as I’ve met and worked with plenty of them who have acquired all kinds of wealth in both residential and the commercial sector and that’s throughout all of the trades and disciplines.

It’s ludicrous to think there are trades, or a specific trade like roofing, that are not profitable due to a particular trade or type of work. Think of another reason to justify the price of this roof install other than saying you’ve never met a “rich” roofer, they do exist!

I do not know a single roofer that lives in a 5mm+ house on the water. Yet I know of 2 general contractors that do! I know commercial AC/Plumbing contractors that work in NYC and have ridiculous Florida homes they can take off to.

Ever consider with clients like WestCoast it's hard to make a living!

Old 09-22-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I’m just a pleb wage worker. Still just change the fact that this company made $20,000+ in one day on two roofs

So you finally admit you have never owned a business. When you are sitting in your office tomorrow, look around at everything your company has purchased to make a workplace for you so you can earn a living. The office, the desks, the water cooler, the utilities all need to be bought and paid for before you can come in and make your wage. Then consider what your health insurance costs your employer, then your 7.65% in SS/unemployment plus 401K match and the list goes on. So if you sell me something for 10K, I certainly can't start a rant on how WestCoast just gouged me for 10K right? Even if you made 10K in pure profit on whatever you sold me, now back out your overhead/what your boss paid you/your benefits and whew suddenly that 10K is nowhere near 10K.

You feel that is "net profit" yet you have no idea of all of the associated costs of the specific jobs. Unless you are the guy's accountant you have no idea what you are talking about..........its just you guessing to make yourself feel good (or bad for overpaying).

Old 09-22-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Workers comp alone is somewhere around 25% to 30% for roofing contractors. Then there is general liability, commercial truck insurance and disposal costs for the old roofing. Trucks cost $60,000 or more for ones capable of pulling trailers and hauling equipment. The materials were probably double what the OP thinks they cost. Go to Lowes and look at how much one bundle of shingles cost now. Then the roofing company probably has an office with a warehouse that cost $750,000 with who knows how much in insurance and property taxes each year. Then there are days and weeks on end where it rains or it snows or there is a material delay or whatever. The OP has no idea how much it actually costs to run a contracting business. Wouldn't it be great if you could just go grab 4 guys and pay them $15 an hour each and have lowes drop off the material yourself? Sounds great in theory but give that a try and see how well it works out. lol
Classic.............this is exactly my point.

I've asked, where does it stop restaurants/tire shops/florists? Nobody works for free!

Old 09-22-2021, 05:08 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
ummm can you read?

The quote was: "your imagined gouging"
Anyone with common sense can see it’s clear gouging

Old 09-22-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I do not know a single roofer that lives in a 5mm+ house on the water. Yet I know of 2 general contractors that do! I know commercial AC/Plumbing contractors that work in NYC and have ridiculous Florida homes they can take off to.

Ever consider with clients like WestCoast it's hard to make a living!
$20,000 in one day. Even after 40% taxes you made $12,000 profit after taxes in a day.

Old 09-22-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
So you finally admit you have never owned a business. When you are sitting in your office tomorrow, look around at everything your company has purchased to make a workplace for you so you can earn a living. The office, the desks, the water cooler, the utilities all need to be bought and paid for before you can come in and make your wage. Then consider what your health insurance costs your employer, then your 7.65% in SS/unemployment plus 401K match and the list goes on. So if you sell me something for 10K, I certainly can't start a rant on how WestCoast just gouged me for 10K right? Even if you made 10K in pure profit on whatever you sold me, now back out your overhead/what your boss paid you/your benefits and whew suddenly that 10K is nowhere near 10K.

You feel that is "net profit" yet you have no idea of all of the associated costs of the specific jobs. Unless you are the guy's accountant you have no idea what you are talking about..........its just you guessing to make yourself feel good (or bad for overpaying).
No no.

This company paid nothing for these workers insurance. And doesn’t have a huge office with rows of desks and chairs. A few hundred dollars a month in utilities maybe in the small rented unit I saw. Still $20,000 in a day!! You’ll never change my mind and you’ll never change peoples mind that can see through the charade

Old 09-22-2021, 06:18 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
I’m just a pleb wage worker. Still just change the fact that this company made $20,000+ in one day on two roofs
I KNEW IT.

Here's a person that hasn't any clue what it takes to run a successful business. Probably can't even figure out employment taxes for employees...

Come to think of it, there's a guy in DC that has the same credentials...

Yeah, yeah, I know...snip...

But, it's the honest truth, too. And that, is un-deniable.

Lastly, plural of "roof" would be "rooves."

Old 09-22-2021, 06:27 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
No no.

This company paid nothing for these workers insurance. And doesn’t have a huge office with rows of desks and chairs. A few hundred dollars a month in utilities maybe in the small rented unit I saw. Still $20,000 in a day!! You’ll never change my mind and you’ll never change peoples mind that can see through the charade
How on earth do you know that the company paid nothing those workers insurance? Answer: you don't. And it's true that no one will ever change your mind, no matter how many facts about business they present. Some people are just closed off to actual information rather than speculation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House