Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2021, 07:41 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Wages get paid to the workers through the subcontractor.
The contractor still is paying them. Where do you think the subcontractor gets the money to pay the workers?

Old 10-04-2021, 10:45 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
Quote:

Plus I know there is insurance and other miscellaneous costs....but $10,000 pure profit on 1 single job in 1 day??????

This seems disgustingly absurd and should be illegal don’t you think?

Westcoast seems to have no answer.. How much profit can a person make in a day in westcoast world before stepping over the line to become gouging???

Old 10-04-2021, 04:50 PM

858 posts, read 1,806,268 times
We had a similar experience repairing some storm damage(not the roof). The price quoted to the insurance was very high. I couldn't understand how they got to it. I priced all the components and my total, for a DIY, was less than half what they were quoting. Take into account that the prices I got are higher that the prices a specialized contractor buying in bulk gets, so we felt taken advantage of.

So we were convinced they were charging those prices just because insurance was paying. The original whole install was $19K 4 years ago and the parts damaged were only a small part of it, so again why were they charging over 50% of the original price when they were only replacing like a 20% of the system and prices have been dropping on that industry.

It was a $6K profit on a $10K job that would take them less than a day to fix. To add insult to injury, the company insisted on charging us $500 just to come to our house and doing an assessment (30 minutes), that we had to pay regardless because they made us sign a contract before coming and the insurance company felt it was unjustified that the assessment fee wouldn't be deducted if they got the job so they refused to pay for it.

Old 10-05-2021, 04:13 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Late to the thread so I don't know if OP has mentioned it.

How many squares does your roof measure? Ours is just 9 squares and we paid $5k to have it replaced in October 2019.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:25 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
The contractor still is paying them. Where do you think the subcontractor gets the money to pay the workers?
It’s not the responsibility of the contractor to cover the subcontractors’ workers health insurance. It’s the subcontractors. The subcontractor probably gets the cheapest crappy company with low limits

Old 10-05-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Westcoast seems to have no answer.. How much profit can a person make in a day in westcoast world before stepping over the line to become gouging???
You tell me. You’re the one obsessed with profit for contractors. I’m saying $12,000 to $15,000 net profit after taxes in one day is making a KILLING. On two roofs!!!

Old 10-05-2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
We had a similar experience repairing some storm damage(not the roof). The price quoted to the insurance was very high. I couldn't understand how they got to it. I priced all the components and my total, for a DIY, was less than half what they were quoting. Take into account that the prices I got are higher that the prices a specialized contractor buying in bulk gets, so we felt taken advantage of.

So we were convinced they were charging those prices just because insurance was paying. The original whole install was $19K 4 years ago and the parts damaged were only a small part of it, so again why were they charging over 50% of the original price when they were only replacing like a 20% of the system and prices have been dropping on that industry.

It was a $6K profit on a $10K job that would take them less than a day to fix. To add insult to injury, the company insisted on charging us $500 just to come to our house and doing an assessment (30 minutes), that we had to pay regardless because they made us sign a contract before coming and the insurance company felt it was unjustified that the assessment fee wouldn't be deducted if they got the job so they refused to pay for it.
Yep yep. All a racket. But these contractors here don’t want the scam revealed. The goose is cooked

Old 10-05-2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Late to the thread so I don't know if OP has mentioned it.

How many squares does your roof measure? Ours is just 9 squares and we paid $5k to have it replaced in October 2019.
House is 2600 sq ft. Not huge. One large two sided slope and one two medium side slope over the garage, with one angle above one window. Nothing complicated.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:33 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I think it is the worker's comp that is expensive. Of course, you have to know that not all companies are doing the right thing. So, you have to find the most reputable company you can.

They have you over a barrel; there is a going rate and you are either going to pay it or do it yourself.

What about plumbers? Actually any contractor nowadays wants at least $1,000 to $2,000 a day to work at your house. This is part of why housing prices are climbing (one of many reasons not the least of which is interest rates).

With inflation the way it is if you wait 5 years the price of the roof will be double (or maybe in 5 months)...

Old 10-06-2021, 07:55 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
It’s not the responsibility of the contractor to cover the subcontractors’ workers health insurance. It’s the subcontractors. The subcontractor probably gets the cheapest crappy company with low limits
Awesome my favorite troll is back telling more lies. What you call workers health insurance is actually paid directly to the state and they pick the rate the contractor pays. Don't let reality stop your beyond silly posts though. They make me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House