Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 06:28 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I had significant hail damage and the insurance approved a new roof.

Received similar quotes from a few companies and the company I chose subcontracted the work to what appeared to be “immigrants” who didn’t speak one word of English. The Final price was $17,600.

There were 4 guys and they worked from 7am to 8pm. Even if these workers were getting $30 an hour(which I highly doubt) thats $1,560 ($30x 4x 13) there sure is a MASSIVE amount of profit.

Plus the cost of roofing material was probably $3,000 to $5,000.

Plus I know there is insurance and other miscellaneous costs....but $10,000 pure profit on 1 single job in 1 day??????

This seems disgustingly absurd and should be illegal don’t you think?

Does the insurance industry know this? Or no one cares?

This is why our insurance rates are high
Worker's comp for roofers used to be "$22 a hundred."

That $3872 for this one, single job.

The other reason "illegal aliens" are doing the work? Because they're hard workin' mother fu^&ers.

Plain and simple, they WORK.

Oh, the $$$ they made on this job, likely went BACK to Guatemala/Mexico, btw.

What part of this transaction should be "illegal?" The making of money part? The employing of people that actually get the job DONE?

Was the job not done satisfactorily?

Was it done not using equipment described in the contract?

Dude, you sound like someone who's never made 10 large in a day.

Go do it, then get back to us on "How unfair it is to pay 40% in taxes..."

Old 09-18-2021, 06:33 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,235 times
Sounds like you're in the wrong business.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:45 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
We can argue about illegal workers all day

There is still a $10,000 dollar profit in 1 day

Get a dba for westcoastforme Roofing Company, submit a bid from them to your insurer, select them, and then you go get some illegals and buy the materials and pocket the $10k difference.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:54 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
We can argue about illegal workers all day

There is still a $10,000 dollar profit in 1 day
I'm not arguing about illegal workers in the least, just asked if you'd be happier if the workers had spoken English and taken more than one day for the job. If the company that does my job is licensed and insured I don't care if the workers speak Spanish, Croatian, Greek or whatever. If they do the job in one day or three but it's done correctly, fine by me. I paid $9,700 to have my roof done by a local company January 2021 and it took one day. They did an excellent job.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
what kind of house do you have?
$17,500
Is a lot of roof !
Years ago when hurricane Harvey hit Houston,we are outside Houston,many of us need new roof and the local companies were able to quote a price matching what the insurer pays so we do not have to dish out the deductibles.
7-8 MEN came to install a new roof ,my house is only $1600 sq ft and they work from 8-5?they all look hispanic and they look foreign,yes,they could be illegal aliens ,if they get $100 US a day,they would be happy ,they could even get less,it is better than sit around and get nothing
But dont forget the company which you hire has other expenses they need to cover,the office overhead ,the sales rep and the warranty.
The salesman does not get every roof he visits,there are quite a few companies competing for roof business.
Insurance companies cannot assume they are using illegal aliens,they have to use the going rate aka US labor rate

Old 09-18-2021, 07:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Back in early 2000 when there is this great housing boom,I heard some workers are getting $5 an hour.
The guy who laid bricks for our builder was going to do a patio in my neighbor backyard,he has 3 men standing around and he went to HD to buy cement,they mix the cement with water and my neighbor paid him $250??

Old 09-18-2021, 07:18 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
I had significant hail damage and the insurance approved a new roof.

Received similar quotes from a few companies and the company I chose subcontracted the work to what appeared to be “immigrants” who didn’t speak one word of English. The Final price was $17,600.

There were 4 guys and they worked from 7am to 8pm. Even if these workers were getting $30 an hour(which I highly doubt) thats $1,560 ($30x 4x 13) there sure is a MASSIVE amount of profit.

Plus the cost of roofing material was probably $3,000 to $5,000.

Plus I know there is insurance and other miscellaneous costs....but $10,000 pure profit on 1 single job in 1 day??????

This seems disgustingly absurd and should be illegal don’t you think?

Does the insurance industry know this? Or no one cares?

This is why our insurance rates are high
Quote:
Luckily I paid nothing for the roof but my insurance rates are high and it looks like every other citizen of the USA is over paying too

Your hail damage was so severe that it earned you AN ENTIRE NEW ROOF?

Really?!!

Apparently that is common in some places in the U.S. It's definitely not common in New England, where I live. Even if we had a huge hail storm, I cannot imagine my insurance company saying, "OK, Karen, here's $25,000 for your new roof, courtesy of us!"

So while you're pissed off at the contractor making so much profit (and frankly, I agree with you), I am pissed off at insurance rates going up because somehow SOME insurance companies in SOME areas of the country pay for ENTIRE NEW ROOFS at the hint of damage.

(And frankly, of course, I'm jealous as he**, because of course the $25,000 for MY new roof in a few years will come out of MY pocket, not the insurance company's. )

Old 09-18-2021, 07:22 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Midwest
Those prices are happening everywhere from what I’m seeing and hearing.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Had a fun one 4 years ago. Started to get a leak into my office which is below the bigger AC unit.

Got a roofer in that I had dealt with for a couple of clients.

First thing I find out was that I was part of the problem. Some 12 or 13 years ago I had found a screw sticking through the roof and leaking water onto my office ceiling.

Then I made a crucial error. I simply plugged the leak - Successfully. No more leak into my office.

But guess what? Where was the water that had been coming through going? I should have figured it out but I was so pleased with closing the leak I did not try. Dumb

So some years later it comes home to roost. There is clearly something going on under the big AC unit. Call in a guy who I trust...the roof under the AC is rotting away.

I call in my trusted roofer. Funny all white guys with a Jewish boss. They have to tear about 150 SF of the roof open without loosing the base to the big AC. Takes a good bit of doing including some inventing.

But we got it and the repair is almost undetectable..

The bill was very reasonable. I even slipped the foreman of the crew $50 and told him to buy the crew a drink.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:34 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Your hail damage was so severe that it earned you AN ENTIRE NEW ROOF?

Really?!!

Apparently that is common in some places in the U.S. It's definitely not common in New England, where I live. Even if we had a huge hail storm, I cannot imagine my insurance company saying, "OK, Karen, here's $25,000 for your new roof, courtesy of us!"

So while you're pissed off at the contractor making so much profit (and frankly, I agree with you), I am pissed off at insurance rates going up because somehow SOME insurance companies in SOME areas of the country pay for ENTIRE NEW ROOFS at the hint of damage.

(And frankly, of course, I'm jealous as he**, because of course the $25,000 for MY new roof in a few years will come out of MY pocket, not the insurance company's. )
Yes the entire area got hit with hail strong winds and tornadoes in June. That’s why I bought a new build 6 years ago. I wanted to move away in 8-9 years without having any major expenses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House