Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which gable do you prefer?
Shake shingles 15 60.00%
Exposed wood 10 40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 11:07 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Since I see no foundation, I'll assume that this will be a raised wood porch(?). What is the planned width? Just the door area (about 4' wide); or, do you intend to take it to the left corner of the house?

What color is the siding, trim, and accent (shutters and door)?
What type of foundation plantings are you planning?

note- too bad there's a crawl space vent right under the door- hard to secure ledger AND reduces the amount of ventilation.
It's on a raised foundation. The front is about 3-4 ft high. I was planning on putting the porch to the left which includes the 2 windows to the left of the door and the door itself. It would be 16'-19' wide x 6'. The siding is a mid-blue with white trim. No shutters. Similar to this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v6z...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by beckycat; 09-22-2021 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 11:09 AM

Similar to this size porch and location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5697...7i13312!8i6656

Old 09-22-2021, 11:12 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Option 1: Shake shingles
Option 2: Exposed wood

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/737886720184868132/

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M95015-81646

This will be going on the front porch of a small ranch home.
I think the pinterest pic looks much better than the other one. But that is just a really ugly example of a porch LOL (on the second pic).

Old 09-22-2021, 11:21 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Blue...did that happen after cocktails?

Go with a shade of shakes which work with the siding. Any of the paint companies (probably siding companies too) allow you to "paint" your house on their websites and you can get an idea of what it will look like.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:41 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
It's on a raised foundation. The front is about 3-4 ft high. I was planning on putting the porch to the left which includes the 2 windows to the left of the door and the door itself. It would be 16'-19' wide x 6'. The siding is a mid-blue with white trim. No shutters. Similar to this:

https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive

So the floor of the porch is going to be concrete?

If the siding is going to be that grey/blue that seems to be somewhat popular, I would probably go with the timber frame look. This is usually framed as a vaulted ceiling. It will give the appearance of a larger porch space; plus, it will allow more light into the space- knowing the siding is somewhat dark.

I’d finish the beams with rough-sawn cedar or cypress, the ceiling with a stain-grade beadboard, and stain it all in a complimentary color with the siding- something light-to-medium in shade.

You will also probably have to have guardrails for the porch and stairs- finishing these is a toss-up between the trim color and the stain color. I personally would go the stain route. Painting PT is an exercise in futility- using regular pine and paint becomes an annual maintenance “excercise”.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
So the floor of the porch is going to be concrete?

If the siding is going to be that grey/blue that seems to be somewhat popular, I would probably go with the timber frame look. This is usually framed as a vaulted ceiling. It will give the appearance of a larger porch space; plus, it will allow more light into the space- knowing the siding is somewhat dark.

I’d finish the beams with rough-sawn cedar or cypress, the ceiling with a stain-grade beadboard, and stain it all in a complimentary color with the siding- something light-to-medium in shade.

You will also probably have to have guardrails for the porch and stairs- finishing these is a toss-up between the trim color and the stain color. I personally would go the stain route. Painting PT is an exercise in futility- using regular pine and paint becomes an annual maintenance “excercise”.
It would be deck boards for the floor.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:47 AM

The builder is recommending to use this (hog fence) for railing:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M95248-34780

Old 09-22-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think the pinterest pic looks much better than the other one. But that is just a really ugly example of a porch LOL (on the second pic).
I like the beams at the top but it doesn't go with the white fascia board. I think that should be wood looking too. Like this:

https://completesolutionsdfw.com/rem...er-with-beams/

Old 09-22-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Blue...did that happen after cocktails?

Go with a shade of shakes which work with the siding. Any of the paint companies (probably siding companies too) allow you to "paint" your house on their websites and you can get an idea of what it will look like.
. I would use gray shakes.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:07 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
The builder is recommending to use this (hog fence) for railing:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M95248-34780
That has become a fairly common “upgrade” to decks. And it looks really good with stained wood when it starts rusting.

However, there are a few issues with it when it comes to the AHJ and the IRC. The individual openings have to be less than 4” square. And they have to have a side load bearing resistance of “X”lbs. (don’t remember the amount). So securing the panels in a certain matter is critical to meet code.

To your other response, so the porch is basically a deck(?) Or is there an actual foundation that has been added to the house for a porch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House