Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2021, 12:27 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,364,460 times

Advertisements

Standard issue cloth string stuff mop. When they get the dust built up on them, is there a way to clean that off?

Yes I sweep first, doesn't seem to matter though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 12:31 PM

471 posts, read 404,544 times
Just bang it against a wall outside, then comb it out with an Afro comb.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:14 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
cotton- i'd probably just throw it away and start with a new one.

microfiber can be washed- air dry.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:13 PM

23,264 posts, read 18,777,131 times
How to remove it? You wash it! Sure, it might not look as blindingly white as it was right out of the package, but it will continue to pick up dust/dirt. Every mop I've ever owned could simply be washed with laundry detergent/water. None of those lazy-consumer-convenience-single-use-toss-it-in-a-landfill-and-forget-it products are used in this house. Ridiculous!

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-23-2021 at 03:00 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 04:41 PM

2,106 posts, read 977,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
How to remove it? You wash it! Sure, it might not look as blindingly white as it was right out of the package, but it will continue to pick up dust/dirt. Every mop I've ever owned could simply be washed with laundry detergent/water. None of those lazy-consumer-convenience-single-use-toss-it-in-a-landfill-and-forget-it products are used in this house. Ridiculous!
I’ve bought a couple mop heads from the dollar tree , plus one handle as heads can be screwed on and taken off to change them around , I’ve trimmed the mop heads about 2/3 inches off them shortened them to use on baseboard , one of the heads was a softer one ..colored I use that for dusting the baseboards other one white I wet , use for kitchen floor ect I cut them short enough I can wash them off in the sink / bucket and put them outside to dry , best things I bought !

Other mops I’ve looked at there not interchangeable with the handles , your stuck with the mop on it
Cost from dollar Tree ..two heads one handle ..$3 Took a while to trim the mops as evenly as I could , but for a dollar each I figured I could always get more for that price if I made a mess cutting , ones bit shorter than I intended but it’s still useful. …trust me , money well spent , …but no need to cut them down like I did , maybe you like the mop heads as they come .

I’d be interested to know if anyone try’s them …

Oh and one more thing I got from D Tree , a small angled broom I use to sweep around the corners of the kitchen first , use my dust buster to pick up the crumbs I’ve collected , then it’s ready to mop , only needs one swipe around with the wet mop then …..

Last edited by Senior7; 09-23-2021 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House