Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 11:49 PM

17,670 posts, read 29,556,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
Love your outdoor furniture where did u purchase
https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog...-with-cushions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 11:26 AM

10,818 posts, read 7,196,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I think open floor plans gained popularity for two reasons:
* They are easier to film on TV
* They allow women to spend time with the family while still being restricted to the kitchen (it's called compromise)
And women are now allowed to wear shoes!

Old 09-30-2021, 12:46 PM

9,363 posts, read 9,653,376 times
I'll add my 2 cents for what it's worth. My family enjoys the open floor plan. I don't like the closed in feeling of walled rooms. Too many walls equals more stuff I have to buy like artwork and bookcases.

As for kitchen clutter while hosting dinner guests, I clean as I go. I start with an empty dishwasher and fill it as I go. Wipe down the countertops, etc... Not hard.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:22 PM

6,692 posts, read 4,676,011 times
I have an open floor plan. I would rather not have another one. Worse yet is that in places my ceiling is two and a half stories. I would like to move but I have views to die for. I can't see my neighbors' homes.

I am probably going to start looking for a new home in a couple years. I don't mind the kitchen having a family room off of it, but that's as open as I want to go. I want a formal dining room and living room. I don't want low ceilings but I don't want them as high as what I am currently dealing with. I would prefer one story. I want to be in an area with big lots. It's going to be an adjustment when I move out of the country. I am creating a list of wants, what I can compromise on, and what are deal breakers. It's going to be a realtor's nightmare. :-)

Old 09-30-2021, 09:13 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I have an open floor plan. I would rather not have another one. Worse yet is that in places my ceiling is two and a half stories. I would like to move but I have views to die for. I can't see my neighbors' homes.

I am probably going to start looking for a new home in a couple years. I don't mind the kitchen having a family room off of it, but that's as open as I want to go. I want a formal dining room and living room. I don't want low ceilings but I don't want them as high as what I am currently dealing with. I would prefer one story. I want to be in an area with big lots. It's going to be an adjustment when I move out of the country. I am creating a list of wants, what I can compromise on, and what are deal breakers. It's going to be a realtor's nightmare. :-)
LOL no it won't be - most people have definite deal breakers and it's the realtor's job to figure that part out. For instance, for me, I had to have a fire place. I also had to have a semi closed floor plan, but with plenty of natural light. LOTS of natural light actually. An upstairs was OK but only if the master was on the main floor - same with a basement and the laundry room. My realtor knew this going into it.

I am totally with you on the whole open floor plan thing. I want some walls and some separation. I already have art work and furniture - I want a wall to put that stuff on. Thankfully I live in a nearly perfect house right now and I am so grateful for it. But the plan is to move to wherever my daughter and her family move in about four more years so we'll see what happens then.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:38 AM

26,373 posts, read 46,217,550 times
I think a good balance is an open floor plan with large windows, but lots of large trees outside for privacy. I don't have any window treatments, and I can't see any neighbors.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:32 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,131,854 times
My house was built in the mid-'70s and has an open floor plan, and I love it! Shed architecture was all the rage when my neighborhood was built, and while my home is not traditional Shed, it definitely has elements of the style. The '70s were such a departure from prior housing trends. My house was designed as a true family home. No shunting the kids off into their own space. No precious furnishings. Every room used every day. It's a lovely way to live.

Old 10-01-2021, 11:11 PM

572 posts, read 317,438 times
Open floor plans are getting in with contemporary designs and are more popular in lavish archotecture.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:37 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
If I had to pick only one - open floor plan or tall ceilings throughout the house - I'd go with the tall ceilings. By "tall" I mean ten foot - not the huge caverns I see sometimes in some houses.

I also don't want to hear noise from the kitchen or smell kitchen smells throughout the entire house.

I like having some walls but not lots of little chopped up rooms.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 10-02-2021, 10:20 AM

5,109 posts, read 3,366,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No. Bar height counters are much less desirable now. Years ago they were definitely a trend. But a lot of people that buy older homes are having those tall counters replaced with regular height counters. A standard counter island/peninsula is really a lot more functional. I get the old adage of hiding your clutter and mess… but modern designs for kitchens generally eschew bar height counters.....
My house was built in 2007 so we have the bar-height counters. It works for my floor plan and hubby would never lower them because he's very tall and loves the feeling of sitting high. We would lose functional space it the counters were lowered since that's where week keep some tall items that won't fit against the fairly short back wall with the ovens and cooktop. My kitchen is in the center of a very open main floor. The curved countertop that's open is very large and provides much of the counter space for the kitchen, but there is no wall there. I can't imagine the things I have sitting against that raised counter being out in the open on a flat counter. Also, having high stools makes it possible to see the TV over the sofas in the adjacent living space on game day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House