Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2023, 12:45 PM

344 posts, read 444,685 times

Advertisements

Are they worth the extra cost? I am shopping around for a replacement for my current electric water heater and saw a video about HP water heaters. I didn't even know there was such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 05:05 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger500 View Post
Are they worth the extra cost? I am shopping around for a replacement for my current electric water heater and saw a video about HP water heaters. I didn't even know there was such a thing.
Maybe. How old are you? If you have fewer than seven years left, don't bother. You'll not make back the investment.

Rather than give a direct answer, I'll suggest you consider the following:

Upfront cost of it and installation

Complexity and cost of repair of one vs. a tank with immersion heater

Noise (they are not silent).

Cost of electricity and your use of hot water

The cooling effect in the space where it is placed - AND - in winter the cost of replacing that heat.

For myself, I would refuse to pay the upfront cost. I have a couple of spare water heaters anyway and know plumbing. If I got a bug up my butt about electric cost, I would consider rewiring a standard heater so that one element was powered by a solar panel instead of mains power. About the only unique issue would be installing a thermostatic switch to cut off the solar if the tank water got above a certain temperature. I can just about guarantee it would save FAR more money.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:16 PM

344 posts, read 444,685 times
My current water heater still produces hot water but it does not last as long as it use to. Its over 20 yrs old. I had it last checked a yr ago and I was told the heating elements were kind of funky. Since then I had a soft water system installed. I am on well water. I guess I could consider replacing the heating elements. I'm 64 so I have a few yrs left. It would be nice to not run out of hot water in the shower after 8 mins.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:39 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
The lower element in your current heater is shot. The element is going to be less than $20, the installation maybe $150. You do the math.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 4,071 times
I installed 1 at my house. It cost me roughly $120/year to operate vs. almost $500/year to operate a typical electric water heater.. Initial cost is higher but your savings far outweigh the initial cost.

Old 01-25-2023, 01:46 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadojack View Post
I installed 1 at my house. It cost me roughly $120/year to operate vs. almost $500/year to operate a typical electric water heater.. Initial cost is higher but your savings far outweigh the initial cost.

I hear you. I have an electric car, and the rest of the house runs on electricity (except the furnace uses propane). But the EV, dryer, washer, HVAC and lighting combined don't use the amount of electricity my damn water heater does. It's 20 years old this year and I'm thinking it needs to be replaced with a HP water heater.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:58 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I hear you. I have an electric car, and the rest of the house runs on electricity (except the furnace uses propane). But the EV, dryer, washer, HVAC and lighting combined don't use the amount of electricity my damn water heater does. It's 20 years old this year and I'm thinking it needs to be replaced with a HP water heater.
My 80 gallon heat-pump waterheater uses only 300 watts when running in heatpump mode!

With an average of 5 people in the house, mine has already 'paid' for itself with the electricity saved the first 2 years in use, however I did install it myself and did get it for a really great price.

Old 01-26-2023, 08:05 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
yes.
for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House