Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 PM

177 posts, read 973,229 times

Advertisements

jinxor,

We've always changed our filter at least once a month and with high-quality filters. In our former home our heat pump (a/c and heat) worked well for 21 years and up until we moved, i.e., is could still be working. That 21 years was WAY beyond the normal life expectancy. We also always had the twice yearly check. And, I believe had the vents (don't know if this is the right term, but the "pipes" that the air flows through) cleaned out as well.

The main thing is that we had a guy we trusted for most of that time. No contract or anything like that, just a local licensed guy.

All the best,
zebbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 06:39 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
I just received a card from Edison, my power company, recommending an A/C check up. They state it can save up to 30% on your summer electric bill. They will recommend a contractor if you don't have one, and give a rebate from $50. to $150, depending on what your system needs.
Edison has nothing to gain by this, other than saving huge amounts of electricity if everyone gets a tune up. I am certainly going to check in on it. I have a large home with two central air units, so I want to call and find out all of the details.
I also am on the Edison summer plan, where they install a devise on each A/C unit, so they can shut off your A/C in case of a power emergency. If you aren't familiar with the program, check into it, it saves me a fortune on electric bill during the summer months. They can, at most, only shut off your air for 15 minutes at a time, and only every so many weeks. I have been on the program for three years, and I don't recall ever having it shut off. It's only done if necessary, and that rarely happens. My summer bill drops dramatically compared to the winter months, and as noted, I have two A/C units.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Donn it saves you money ........are you prepared to hear why?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Donn it saves you money ........are you prepared to hear why?
Well, I researched the matter pretty well, but I'm always open to hear from someone else. Lets hear your theory...
In my view, money in my pocket, is money in my pocket..!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Well, the problem comes when you get calls out of the blue from HVAC companies offering to do a "Spring/Fall Checkup." So they show up to your house, rattle around in your basement, and find, well golllleeeeee, there are big problems with your heating or air, and that the thing is about to go, so you better get a replacement right away.

And, as it so happens, they have a unit on the floor ready to sell at an unheard of bargain price of $XXXX. Wow. What a coincidence.

Somebody tried to pull that scam on us two years ago. Our AC was leaking freon like crazy and was about to go any second. I thanked them and did not respond to their high-pressure sales tactics. Now, here it is, two years later, and my AC continues to cool the house perfectly. If I had actually been out of freon, it would have gone kaput a long time ago.

So watch your step, and watch these guys work. Not all HVAC are scuzzy by any stretch of the imagination, but a sizable proportion of them are.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:45 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
Twice a year checks? I don't know of anyone who does it more than once per year here.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
We pay $140 for semi-annual checks/cleaning and change our filters monthly. It's just "insurance." Our house was built in 2004 and has natural gas forced air heat.

Our other house we had HWBB gas heat and a Trance a/c unit for 21 yrs. and never had a checkup or problem.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, the problem comes when you get calls out of the blue from HVAC companies offering to do a "Spring/Fall Checkup." So they show up to your house, rattle around in your basement, and find, well golllleeeeee, there are big problems with your heating or air, and that the thing is about to go, so you better get a replacement right away.

And, as it so happens, they have a unit on the floor ready to sell at an unheard of bargain price of $XXXX. Wow. What a coincidence.

Somebody tried to pull that scam on us two years ago. Our AC was leaking freon like crazy and was about to go any second. I thanked them and did not respond to their high-pressure sales tactics. Now, here it is, two years later, and my AC continues to cool the house perfectly. If I had actually been out of freon, it would have gone kaput a long time ago.

So watch your step, and watch these guys work. Not all HVAC are scuzzy by any stretch of the imagination, but a sizable proportion of them are.
I understand what you're saying, there are a lot of con men out there. I would only go with a vendor recommended by Edison, and the home is only five years old, so trying to sell me a new unit wouldn't get very far.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Sorry it took me so long to answer.

So we understand that evaporation is a cooling process this is verified by something like rubbing alcohol evaporating off the skin more rapidly then water and it feels cooler. Your AC transfers heat from where it is to where it makes little to know difference. It does this by constantly evaporating and condensing the refrigerant in the system. The compressor compresses the ref. gas to a higher compression to concentrate the heat in the pipes and allow the outside temp to be cooler then the ref. in the outside unit allowing it to readily give that heat off. This can be verified by putting your hand over the outside unit and the air coming off the unit is warmer.

Now the problem with waiting to have checkups. The air is the medium you are removing heat from. As coils and filters clog less of that heat is transfered to the ref. and therefore the gas is not superheated as much making the ref. that returns back to the compressor closer to the sat. temp or the temp which it is a liquid/ gas. As the more saturated gas returns back to the compressor the compressor must work harder to compress the gas this can be verified by taking amperage draw of the compressor opposed to proper operation. Liquids do not compress well and cause undue stress on the compressor. This is probably the #1 cause of compressor failure. The window is rather small for the amount of air that can be lost traveling through the coil. Clogged coils and filters restrict airflow quickly.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 6,157 times
Should you have your air ducts cleaned, what is the recommended process by NADCA (governing body of air duct cleaners) what are the benefits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House