Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 09:10 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Having a lizard in the house would be a nightmare for us, but our Yorkie would love it. She loves chasing them. It would be bad for us because she would not calm down until she caught it. She is also a spider and bug killer.

Maybe a cat would help if the entry into the house cannot be found.
Lizards can carry parasites that can be deadly to cats and dogs, so not a good idea to let them grab and eat one if can prevent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 09:55 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
I lived in South Florida for almost 30 years now. In every home I've lived in, a lizard in the house is an event, handled with a cup and sturdy piece of paper to slip under it to transfer them back outside. I know people have opinions about Florida, but I can assure you we do not live with lizards running amuck in the house.

If I had an issue with a lizard infestation, especially in mostly one area of the house, I would assume they are there because of an easy food supply, such as termites, or easy ingress, like a tree touching the roof so that the lizards can get in through soffit vents into the attic, or a gap in a wall. They also need access to water, which again points to termites because some varieties like damp wood.

I have never heard of a pest company that does lizard removal of the typical anoles. There are iguana removers and companies that will trap large scary izards of the escaped pet variety, but I think with the little ones you just make sure they can't get in and that they don't want to get in for food. You wouldn't want to poison them because they could die in the walls or attic.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:14 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
A dog or cat might get rid of your lizards, but you might get a flea infestation from them. Can't win!

Old 10-05-2021, 11:39 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
A dog or cat might get rid of your lizards, but you might get a flea infestation from them. Can't win!
You treat dogs and cats for fleas, if they are indoor animals.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:57 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
To mention, I have purposely purchased any spray stated to be safe around humans and pets and follow instructions provided. I have sprayed in closet corners and baseboards, and not anywhere the cat is at the time.
Don't believe everything you read on labels. They have lied before.

Remember that cats lick their paws of whatever they have stepped in. They are very clean animals.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:20 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
I lived in South Florida for almost 30 years now. In every home I've lived in, a lizard in the house is an event, handled with a cup and sturdy piece of paper to slip under it to transfer them back outside.
Just a note of caution when trying to catch lizards. I grew up in southern California, and as a youngster used to like to catch them for fun. As a girl I wasn't into dolls, and such, lol. Anyway, once my aim was off, and the container I used cut it's tail off . i know they grow back, but still that must have hurt the little guy/gal. That was in the late 50's or so, and I still feel bad about not being more careful.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:25 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You treat dogs and cats for fleas, if they are indoor animals.
You treat your dogs, inside or out, for fleas/ticks and heart worm.

Old 10-18-2021, 04:28 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Don't believe everything you read on labels. They have lied before.

Remember that cats lick their paws of whatever they have stepped in. They are very clean animals.
I understand. I am conscious that despite what is stated on products, to not have sprayed in areas where she would have access, not having used directly on flooring. There are sprays created with natural deterrents, such as Cloves and still, just spraying in high areas or corners of closets that she is not allowed in or baseboards behind heavy furniture. Also, this experience has taught me about utllizing essential oils and mixtures of in spray bottles to deter clothing moths, which has been helpful.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:07 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Palmetto Bugs are roaches… it’s like putting lipstick on a pig.

It takes several treatments to get rid of ants and roaches.. leave the lizards alone.. they’re actually doing you a favor.

Make sure you clean your house really well and keep all foods in containers. Even those sugar ants (torro bought in Publix will take care of those) can get in some containers.

You have to treat your yard and your house at the same time and be patient.
But they are not the German roaches that most people associate with a "nasty house". They are more like the wood roaches you'd find outside under a rotting log.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Don't waste money on pest control companies, because all they're going to do is spray bifenthrin. You can buy that stuff yourself from Tractor Supply and mix it in a garden sprayer.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...oaAm7kEALw_wcB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House