Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 07:39 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
Maybe you have never been poor enough.
Didnt you recently post about a new LG front loader and a paid off house? You're not that poor that you MUST keep these pee soaked (NASTY) chairs. You're going to annihilate the leather if you haven’t already. It will start drying out/cracking the leather and distorting the color. Everyone who sits on them or around them will then also reek of cat pee. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 07:41 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Get a younger cat -although its pee may not smell much better.
The chairs arrived w someone else’s cat pee smell.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:58 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
So I brought a house where three kittens lived. When we toured the house, I noticed air purifiers. I didn't think much about it. When we moved in, the scent of cat pee was overwhelming. I googled how to remove it.

1). All carpeting had to be removed.

2) The wood floors underneath were stained black and reeked from cat pee.

3) I needed to have the floors refinished.

4) If refinishing the floors didn't work, sections of the wood floors had to be replaced.

4) If the cats peed on the seam between floor and the baseboard, the baseboards needed to be replaced.

5) If the cats sprayed the walls, the sheetrock would need to be cutout and replaced.

Boy, was I lucky! The cat pee smell was gone after I refinished the floors.

I wish you luck!

Old 10-01-2021, 09:20 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
So I brought a house where three kittens lived. When we toured the house, I noticed air purifiers. I didn't think much about it. When we moved in, the scent of cat pee was overwhelming. I googled how to remove it.

1). All carpeting had to be removed.

2) The wood floors underneath were stained black and reeked from cat pee.

3) I needed to have the floors refinished.

4) If refinishing the floors didn't work, sections of the wood floors had to be replaced.

4) If the cats peed on the seam between floor and the baseboard, the baseboards needed to be replaced.

5) If the cats sprayed the walls, the sheetrock would need to be cutout and replaced.

Boy, was I lucky! The cat pee smell was gone after I refinished the floors.

I wish you luck!
So, are you saying if the OP put 2-3coats of poly on the chairs they’re good!?

Old 10-02-2021, 05:57 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
It's actually not that bad, I've been working and scrubbing them.

That's just because your olfactory is adjusting. Soon you won't smell it at all. But it will still be there.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:11 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
It's actually not that bad, I've been working and scrubbing them.
You are getting used to the smell. Ask company if your house has an off smell.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:14 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,020 times
https://www.kittywire.com/cat-urine-out-leather/ This has a lot of good ideas

Old 10-02-2021, 07:51 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Oh my! This breaks my heart. I am going to keep trying as I cannot afford to buy anything else.
You will have to tear it apart and replace the padding or cushions. Just spraying it won't do anything. Not worth the trouble or cost to do that. You got your monies worth with the free chairs.

Look around. I picked up a similar recliner with remote for $25 at a goodwill outlet for my mom. It was in near new condition missing the ac adapter for it. I buy and sell a lot of merchandise and had the charger in my inventory. But the chargers are only $20 online if you find one missing it. Look on facebook marketplace or craigslist they are often sold for $100 or less without the cat smell.

Sure new they are over $1,000 but used they are affordable for most people.

Old 10-02-2021, 08:03 AM

712 posts, read 555,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
A lady who fosters cats for a rescue gave me this recipe and said it has never failed her. She has used it on all surfaces and fabrics:

16 0z Hydrogen Peroxide
1 Teaspoon dish washing liquid
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda

Mix together and soak area, leave on till completely dry if a white residue appears it can be vacuumed or brushed away. You may have to repeat.

I would add that sunlight is a great deodorizer. If you can move the furniture outdoors (or at least the pillows, if they are removable) and let everything sit in the sun for a couple days, it would probably help a lot. And once the smell is gone, don't forget to apply leather conditioner so the leather won't crack.
Tried this and it is smelling much better. Also ordered these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QRSZ6YZ...hk_typ_imgToDp

People mix charcoal in cat litter so why not. I read they reactivate these in the sun. Plan on stuffing these into the backs and sides. This is just in case there is any odor left.

Old 10-02-2021, 08:34 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Tried this and it is smelling much better. Also ordered these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QRSZ6YZ...hk_typ_imgToDp

People mix charcoal in cat litter so why not. I read they reactivate these in the sun. Plan on stuffing these into the backs and sides. This is just in case there is any odor left.

There will always be odor. Just so you understand that. The longer pee stays, the more permanent it becomes, and apparently these chairs have been pee soaked for a long time? But I hope you enjoy them as much as you think you will.

I'm curious, are these chairs of your friend's something you've always wanted? Like, you would say to your friend "anytime you want to get rid of these, please give them to me"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House