Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 07:33 AM

997 posts, read 709,774 times

Advertisements

For the past 5 nights I am aware that a squirrel is getting in my second floor kitchen at night. I heard it shuffling in the wall. On the first day I noticed the pantry door was open and the squirrel ate a package of soft flour tacos. Then on second day it has chewed the wood at the bottom of my double pantry doors. It must be too big to get inside. It has successfully bypassed rat glue traps with peanut butter and bread on it. It set off two rat traps and took the bread. It entered my "work" bag and ate some hot chocolate and soup mixes. There have been no animal droppings but a footprint was left on the gluetrap.

I have a Ring stick up camera that should arrive today that I will put in my kitchen and aim it at the pantry.

I am considering ordering a cage trap.

I live in a townhouse and the kitchen is on the second floor, with an adjacent deck.

Has anyone successfully caught a squirrel in the house? What brand of trap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 07:42 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
For the past 5 nights I am aware that a squirrel is getting in my second floor kitchen at night. I heard it shuffling in the wall. On the first day I noticed the pantry door was open and the squirrel ate a package of soft flour tacos. Then on second day it has chewed the wood at the bottom of my double pantry doors. It must be too big to get inside. It has successfully bypassed rat glue traps with peanut butter and bread on it. It set off two rat traps and took the bread. It entered my "work" bag and ate some hot chocolate and soup mixes. There have been no animal droppings but a footprint was left on the gluetrap.

I have a Ring stick up camera that should arrive today that I will put in my kitchen and aim it at the pantry.

I am considering ordering a cage trap.

I live in a townhouse and the kitchen is on the second floor, with an adjacent deck.

Has anyone successfully caught a squirrel in the house? What brand of trap?
Yes, between the 1sr floor ceiling and 2nd floor floor.

Used a full body grip trap:

https://www.duketraps.com/body-traps

Had to direct it to the trap by sprinkling fox lure on the bypass routes.

Find out where it's coming in and block it, you don't want it building a nest.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:09 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Here's the trap that is used most often-

www.havahart.com/store/animal-traps/squirrels

And to be more specific about what you have...
Due to the fact that the activity is at night, you most likely have a flying squirrel. Flying squirrels are nocturnal as opposed to grey or red squirrels that are active during the day.

Havahart also has several other pages about when, where, and how to set and catch your unwanted guest- take a stroll through their website.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Here's the trap that is used most often-

www.havahart.com/store/animal-traps/squirrels

And to be more specific about what you have...
Due to the fact that the activity is at night, you most likely have a flying squirrel. Flying squirrels are nocturnal as opposed to grey or red squirrels that are active during the day.

Havahart also has several other pages about when, where, and how to set and catch your unwanted guest- take a stroll through their website.
We have the "onedoor" and have caught squirrels in it. We use almonds or walnuts mixed with peanut butter to be an effective bait. Unless you can find where it's coming in and block it, expect it to return. It seems to make sense to take the squirrel in the trap to the woods a good 10 miles away and release it, but that might be illegal in your city/state.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:21 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Know anyone with a Jack Russel terrier?

Trust me, they'll LOVE this mission.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:56 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I discovered the squirrel is coming into the house from the hole in the wall on the first floor where the AC unit wires enter my house. The varmint removed the wall putty around the wires and started to chew my AC wires and insulation. I tried plugging the hole with a cloth saturated with "Critter Ridder" spray but the squirrel pushed it aside and still entered the house.

I give up.

I have a professional coming Monday to give me an estimate. I still don't know how it is coming into my kitchen on 2nd floor. I am sure it is either where the water line enters the fridge or where the gas line enters for the stove.

I also purchased a Ring stick up camera and yesterday I set it up to have a clear view of the floor and my stove, fridge, and pantry door that was chewed.

I pushed a door stop wedge under my pantry door to prevent them from being opened. I also tied the handles together!

I put a small lamp on my island and left it on all night. According to the camera (with chime motion detection) it did not enter last night.

My nerves are shot! I work night shift and dread coming home to see a potential disaster in my home. I am also worried about my gas and water lines; and also the AC unit wires! I have the heating/AC company coming on Wednesday to reinsulate my AC wires.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:00 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I discovered the squirrel is coming into the house from the hole in the wall on the first floor where the AC unit wires enter my house. The varmint removed the wall putty around the wires and started to chew my AC wires and insulation. I tried plugging the hole with a cloth saturated with "Critter Ridder" spray but the squirrel pushed it aside and still entered the house.

I give up.

I have a professional coming Monday to give me an estimate. I still don't know how it is coming into my kitchen on 2nd floor. I am sure it is either where the water line enters the fridge or where the gas line enters for the stove.

I also purchased a Ring stick up camera and yesterday I set it up to have a clear view of the floor and my stove, fridge, and pantry door that was chewed.

I pushed a door stop wedge under my pantry door to prevent them from being opened. I also tied the handles together!

I put a small lamp on my island and left it on all night. According to the camera (with chime motion detection) it did not enter last night.

My nerves are shot! I work night shift and dread coming home to see a potential disaster in my home. I am also worried about my gas and water lines; and also the AC unit wires! I have the heating/AC company coming on Wednesday to reinsulate my AC wires.
The gas and water lines should be OK, however you're right to be concerned about the wiring.

This might be what you need to plug the one entry hole, it's likely what the pest guy will use:

https://www.greatstuff.dupont.com/?u...SAAEgI7JPD_BwE

Old 10-03-2021, 10:30 AM

I am going to order two of those Havahart traps, as a preventative measure for the future. I'm putting one on my 2nd floor deck and the other on the first floor patio where my AC unit is. My fenced patio and deck is directly in front of a lot of tall pine trees, and a squirrel can easily jump on my deck.
I'll check the above recc by North Beach Person as well.
Thanks All!

Old 10-03-2021, 02:56 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Forget the foam-
A squirrel that knows he has a pantry to go to for a gourmet meal will quickly claw/dig he way through the foam.
Using some “machine cloth” to cover the entry point will be like jail bars for a squirrel. But the foam will seal the hole for air and bugs.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:02 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Forget the foam-
Using some “machine cloth” to cover the entry point will be like jail bars for a squirrel. But the foam will seal the hole for air and bugs.
Just what I was thinking. A tight tangle of wire/hardware cloth crammed tightly into the hole will keep one out for a long time. Buys you time to repair/reconfigure the wiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House