Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2021, 12:39 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,598,798 times

Advertisements

I was going to suggest the sounds were from nail pops (of which we had many in this less-than-stellar build), but in that video the noise is more than a single-syllable pop.

Our pops have gradually diminished in number since the first couple of years, as expected. The framers did a poor job, which rippled down to the drywallers, which rippled down to the painters, the door and trim installers, etc.

If we could start all over again, we would NOT hire locally and we would hire someone with success at building with newer methods and materials. The old “That’s not how I do things [and I don’t want to learn anything else] mentality doesn’t cut it.

OR we would do as so many others here do: Put up a factory-built modular home.

Old 10-14-2021, 01:23 PM

13,632 posts, read 12,260,114 times
I'd consider soundproofing the house or rooms you use a lot...might mean new drywall and ceilings, but for your sanity...

Old 10-14-2021, 06:18 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,365,918 times
1. You sure your SO isn't pranking you (trying to drive you insane)?

2. Have you tried telling Casper to stop?

Old 10-14-2021, 06:43 PM

21,506 posts, read 12,595,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
1. You sure your SO isn't pranking you (trying to drive you insane)?
That is STRAIGHT out of the movie! But I think it's far more likely that OP is pranking us.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:49 AM

102 posts, read 80,653 times
UPDATE: These past few weeks, the noises have been quite awful. The pounding, banging and snapping have increased in frequency as well as intensity. When it's windy the house is almost UNBEARABLE, the sudden movements and sounds are really scary. The only quiet times (you can still hear these sounds muffled even during these hours) are from 8 pm to 12 am, and from 2 am to 6 am. The noise is almost everywhere and there is no escape from it. We've had a few contractors at the house scratching their heads trying to figure out what's going on. We've ruled out plumbing and vents. Talked to a few structural engineers, haven't found the right person yet. The noises are structural, most likely triggered by thermal movement, but oddly enough they occur even when the temperature outside isn't changing, cold windy days, full sunny days and partly cloudy days (the whole day) are the WORST. A few hours before the sun comes up the pounding, snapping and banging starts, all the way till a few hours after the sun goes down. Even when there is no sun or wind, the noises are there. Maybe more muffled, but they are there. The windows are popping and banging like crazy too. As if the pressure on the roof as well as siding is triggering sudden violent movements in trusses, joists, walls, ceiling as well as windows. I'm afraid the only possible solution is the process of elimination, which is removing different sections of a room bit by bit (starting from ceiling and walls, and moving all the way towards the trusses, roof rafters, plywood, roof tiles or siding) and see if any of these changes would eliminate the noise or not, I don't think soundproofing alone will help much, because no one has any clue what's causing these sounds or where they are coming from, also some of the sounds are loud and can be heard everywhere, so I am not sure if soundproofing alone would help.

Almost every wood frame house I've ever lived in made noise from time to time. But how much is TOO MUCH for the house popping and snapping noises? In this house, the thermal expansion/contraction (if that's what's causing it) are a LOT LOUDER AND A LOT MORE FREQUENT. It's horrifying to sleep in silent rooms and end up waking up with jarring sounds, almost ALL THE TIME. The noises NEVER go away, they are always there, like a pre-existing condition. At this point, I believe some houses are built with "bad wood" (that's why they are popping all the time). Or it's a major flaw with wood-frame construction (esp. considering the changes in the climate, hotter summers, and colder winters) and over a period of time, the connections become loose somewhere and the situation would evolve into something more serious (like truss uplift or shrinkage of the framing). The wood is constantly moving and flexing without breaking yet and that's where all the wood-frame homes will end up one day ... It's the UGLY truth about the "light weight wood frame construction".

It's disheartening that some folks take pleasure out of someone else's misery and suffering. Heartless comments about "poltergeist", "trashing USA homes", or "pranking others" are really uncalled for. What if this happened to you? Your ceiling and walls were constantly banging, pounding and knocking, ENDLESSLY and there was no resolution on sight.

To those who are planning to move and buy a new home and are susceptible to these sounds: there is NO WAY to know if a house has this issue or not, unless you spend a couple of nights in there. It's a ghost in the walls and no amount of inspection can detect this problem and sellers do not disclose. It's a problem hidden from the naked eyes, the house looks fine on the surface, but it's flexing, moving, popping and banging, ALL THE TIME. Another sleepless night ...

Last edited by coolsara; 10-24-2021 at 01:38 AM..

Old 10-24-2021, 03:59 AM

7,201 posts, read 3,025,587 times
L.A. TIMES ARCHIVES
JAN. 11, 1998 12 AM PT
QUESTION: Our house is making settling noises in the attic over the bedroom. Day and night, we hear loud cracking or popping sounds--usually three or four in succession. Our house was built 10 years ago. Is it still settling?

Henry Spies of Spies Home Inspection Services in Champaign, Ill., replies:

ANSWER: The noise you hear is not from settling, but from wood framing members moving in relation to one another. The wood warms during the day, losing moisture and shrinking slightly. At night it cools, absorbing moisture and expanding a bit.

As one piece of wood tries to move against another, pressure builds between the two. Finally the joint slips, causing the popping. It’s a mini-version of an earthquake--two sections of the Earth’s crust try to move against each other, pressure builds at the fault until it causes movement and an earthquake results.

Fortunately, your problem is not structural. You can minimize it by reducing both temperature swings and indoor humidity. Make sure the attic is well-ventilated. If you have a crawl space, be certain the soil is completely covered with a plastic vapor retarder. Coat basement walls with damp-proofing material and be sure the kitchen and bath have vent fans that discharge moisture outdoors.

Old 10-25-2021, 05:48 PM

102 posts, read 80,653 times
Thanks for posting this. Like I said, I've read many forums and I came across this one a while ago. I wholeheartedly DISAGREE with this inspector. This is NOT simply expansion/contraction of wood. Other homes in the same area, same climate do not make these noises, at least not with the same intensity or frequency. Like I said, I think some homes have them and others don't. Maybe it's to do with the material used during construction (some wood are bad for construction) or the method of construction (loose framing, siding, or roof). Houses can end up shabby "popping and snapping all the time" when you use staple guns to hold flimsy plywood to weak beams. Wouldn't some connections go loose somewhere? Getting loud banging/snapping and popping noises DAY and NIGHT is NOT usual or related to indoor humidity or temperature swings inside. There is NOTHING you can do inside your home to stop these noises. They are simply coming from the roof, siding, framing and the entire structure of the house. Even mild sun shining on your roof/siding can trigger these loud popping and banging noises inside your house. The noises are always there, even at nights, but maybe not as loud or frequent.

If you purchased a car and your car engine or car roof made loud banging noises day and night, would you accept it as "normal"? A house is a lot more important than a car, because you are supposed to be able to sleep in it and relax. Would people consider it normal, if their kitchen countertop was popping, banging and snapping all the time? Why should US consumers accept these unsettling noises from the structure of their homes as "normal'? As this inspector calls it, with the way we build homes in America, you may just end up with a "mini-version of an earthquake" right on top of your head, day and night. Doesn't this just sound crazy? Considering all the viable construction methods available in the 21st century? it's not like it's 14th century ... If this is what "wood frame homes" simply do when there is a little bit of a sun, wind, changes in moisture, temperature or humidity, then US consumers should demand better quality built home with a different material that doesn't have all these nightmarish issues associated with "light weight wood construction". Considering home prices skyrocketing and increase in lumber prices, maybe the builders can stop "tripling the already tripled profit" and instead pour some "good old concrete", so the rest of us don't have to put up with an earthquake right on top of our head, day and night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
L.A. TIMES ARCHIVES
JAN. 11, 1998 12 AM PT
QUESTION: Our house is making settling noises in the attic over the bedroom. Day and night, we hear loud cracking or popping sounds--usually three or four in succession. Our house was built 10 years ago. Is it still settling?

Henry Spies of Spies Home Inspection Services in Champaign, Ill., replies:

ANSWER: The noise you hear is not from settling, but from wood framing members moving in relation to one another. The wood warms during the day, losing moisture and shrinking slightly. At night it cools, absorbing moisture and expanding a bit.

As one piece of wood tries to move against another, pressure builds between the two. Finally the joint slips, causing the popping. It’s a mini-version of an earthquake--two sections of the Earth’s crust try to move against each other, pressure builds at the fault until it causes movement and an earthquake results.

Fortunately, your problem is not structural. You can minimize it by reducing both temperature swings and indoor humidity. Make sure the attic is well-ventilated. If you have a crawl space, be certain the soil is completely covered with a plastic vapor retarder. Coat basement walls with damp-proofing material and be sure the kitchen and bath have vent fans that discharge moisture outdoors.

Last edited by coolsara; 10-25-2021 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-26-2021, 05:24 AM

11,195 posts, read 19,358,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsara View Post
UPDATE: These past few weeks, the noises have been quite awful. The pounding, banging and snapping have increased in frequency as well as intensity. When it's windy the house is almost UNBEARABLE, the sudden movements and sounds are really scary. The only quiet times (you can still hear these sounds muffled even during these hours) are from 8 pm to 12 am, and from 2 am to 6 am. The noise is almost everywhere and there is no escape from it. We've had a few contractors at the house scratching their heads trying to figure out what's going on. We've ruled out plumbing and vents. Talked to a few structural engineers, haven't found the right person yet. The noises are structural, most likely triggered by thermal movement, but oddly enough they occur even when the temperature outside isn't changing, cold windy days, full sunny days and partly cloudy days (the whole day) are the WORST. A few hours before the sun comes up the pounding, snapping and banging starts, all the way till a few hours after the sun goes down. Even when there is no sun or wind, the noises are there. Maybe more muffled, but they are there. The windows are popping and banging like crazy too. As if the pressure on the roof as well as siding is triggering sudden violent movements in trusses, joists, walls, ceiling as well as windows. I'm afraid the only possible solution is the process of elimination, which is removing different sections of a room bit by bit (starting from ceiling and walls, and moving all the way towards the trusses, roof rafters, plywood, roof tiles or siding) and see if any of these changes would eliminate the noise or not, I don't think soundproofing alone will help much, because no one has any clue what's causing these sounds or where they are coming from, also some of the sounds are loud and can be heard everywhere, so I am not sure if soundproofing alone would help.

Almost every wood frame house I've ever lived in made noise from time to time. But how much is TOO MUCH for the house popping and snapping noises? In this house, the thermal expansion/contraction (if that's what's causing it) are a LOT LOUDER AND A LOT MORE FREQUENT. It's horrifying to sleep in silent rooms and end up waking up with jarring sounds, almost ALL THE TIME. The noises NEVER go away, they are always there, like a pre-existing condition. At this point, I believe some houses are built with "bad wood" (that's why they are popping all the time). Or it's a major flaw with wood-frame construction (esp. considering the changes in the climate, hotter summers, and colder winters) and over a period of time, the connections become loose somewhere and the situation would evolve into something more serious (like truss uplift or shrinkage of the framing). The wood is constantly moving and flexing without breaking yet and that's where all the wood-frame homes will end up one day ... It's the UGLY truth about the "light weight wood frame construction".

It's disheartening that some folks take pleasure out of someone else's misery and suffering. Heartless comments about "poltergeist", "trashing USA homes", or "pranking others" are really uncalled for. What if this happened to you? Your ceiling and walls were constantly banging, pounding and knocking, ENDLESSLY and there was no resolution on sight.

To those who are planning to move and buy a new home and are susceptible to these sounds: there is NO WAY to know if a house has this issue or not, unless you spend a couple of nights in there. It's a ghost in the walls and no amount of inspection can detect this problem and sellers do not disclose. It's a problem hidden from the naked eyes, the house looks fine on the surface, but it's flexing, moving, popping and banging, ALL THE TIME. Another sleepless night ...

Just reading your post has me cringing and shuddering in horror. I have no solutions for you but utmost sympathy. I can't even imagine. I really can't. I bought my house just over a year ago. It's 111 years old. I rarely hear a noise from it. It's so solid I can't even feel the wind or know when it's raining unless I look out the window. I am so grateful I don't have to deal with something like this.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:30 PM

21,506 posts, read 12,595,676 times
This reminds me of "The Amityville Horror," where blood was actually pouring out of the walls, yet the family stayed and stayed. If my house were creaking, popping, and booming, I'd be out of there so fast I'd probably forget my toothbrush. Have you not been tempted to sell it, rent it out, go stay with friends and family even?

Something about this doesn't pass the smell test for me; sorry!

Old 10-26-2021, 02:30 PM

18,364 posts, read 31,445,727 times
It sounds unbeareable.
move, I think that's the only option.

why go thru inspectors, structural men, etc.

just move.

I also agree, something isnt right here, i cant place it, but....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House