Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 08:37 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times

Advertisements

I feel so lucky! I have or had so many of the desired home features!

My current home could use a big garage with lots of storage. We have just a single car carport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 05:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, with beds or bedding or at least places to sleep on it. My grandmother had a porch like that. Originally it was a screened porch but later she put windows in all the way around and opened them up in warmer weather. She had several beds out there. It was at the back of the house.
This was common in the days before AC in warm places. It would be too hot to sleep inside once those thick plaster walls heated up. They would radiate heat all night. Two story homes had them on the second floor for security. The whole family would sleep out there. Most have been enclosed for additioanl living space.

Old 10-15-2021, 05:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
OUR original design for our house move/remodel/addition (before we got pricing) included:

An underground tunnel to the garage (carriage house)

A Pneumatic elevator from the basement where the tunnel ended, stopping at a secret room in the kitchen, up to a giant walk in closet area in the master bedroom. Also a spiral staircase from basement to the kitchen and then to the master suite. I wanted a fire pole, but my wife was being stubborn so we compromised with a spiral staircase.

A fireplace in the master bedroom.

A balcony looking over the pool from the master bedroom and a zip line form the balcon across the pool out to the back yard.

A Large master suite with a bathroom with a separate shower area and a walk in his and her closet complex. A nook are with a table and a large canopy bed.

An outdoor shower at the pool (we actually plumber for one but the brilliant electrician put an outlet under the shower so we could nto put the shower in and I never got around to moving the outlet)

A huge sunroom with a pot belly woodstove and enough space of 10 - 12 tables. (We have a small sunroom. Most of the time it has been a room for the dogs when we dont want them in the house.

A tunnel from the basement under the road out to the boathouse/dock.

Another tunnel from the carriage house out to the playhouse in the woods. (Tunnels made of 10' sewer pipe big enough to roller skate or ride a bike through.

A bike path through the woods.

An observation tower connected to the house via a rope/wood walkway with windows all around and a big brass telescope.

A wood paneled library with shelves for 1000 books. (We have the library, but never put int he paneling and only have furniture type bookshelves (not built in).

There were some other things.

Our budget was $650. The pricing came in at $2 million. So we had to make a few cuts.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:49 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
another one: Outdoor shower!!

Old 10-16-2021, 08:00 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
A 3rd garage space.
Agreed, park both of out cars in our double but it would be great to have a third, maybe for my dream car : '59 Cadillac or even a Miata. Both to drive on weekends or fun days. The garage would have to be longer to accommodate the Caddy. I do see the Caddy as a money pit but loved those since I was a small kid. :-)

Old 10-17-2021, 06:47 AM

167 posts, read 359,252 times
I live in the city. I would love to have more parking. We have 1 spot in the garage and 2 on the driveway. Our house has a basement suite and our tenant gets one spot so it leaves us with just 2. Visitors always have to do street parking. In the winter it is illegal to park on the street overnight so it is very difficult over the holidays. If the builder had just put the house farther back on the lot by about 5 feet we could have parked the cars 2 deep on the driveway.

Old 10-20-2021, 01:29 AM

84 posts, read 55,082 times
I always wanted a shop space in which to ruin perfectly good lumber, and a big, covered porch suitable for sitting outside on rainy days, and in my most recent house, I got both.

The only things I want now are a bathroom that has a big shower with a built-in bench (which could be done easily enough in one of the existing bathrooms), and a real laundry room (which could replace the crappy bathroom in the basement that I currently don't even set foot in because it's so crappy). Neither of these are particularly lavish projects, and other than the plumbing and electrical, I could DIY a lot of it. Even just having the shower re-done would make a huge difference, and make my life here easier as I age.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:15 AM

238 posts, read 172,201 times
Two story garage with a lift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House