Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 11:55 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Really? I'd understand if you have a grow lab up there, but fear of activating the fire sprinklers is kind of out there. Leaks are hard to find with access, denying access to the most likely source makes zero sense.

I have nothing to hide. Two of my neighbors have had their fire sprinklers activated by workers walking in the attic, so the concern is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 01:06 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I have nothing to hide. Two of my neighbors have had their fire sprinklers activated by workers walking in the attic, so the concern is real.
Seems like the easiest step would be to shut off the sprinkler system temporarily, even if it meant shutting the houses water off for 20 minutes while the guy was in the attic.

Old 10-15-2021, 01:16 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Seems like the easiest step would be to shut off the sprinkler system temporarily, even if it meant shutting the houses water off for 20 minutes while the guy was in the attic.
But this makes too much sense! How dare you suggest such a thing!

Old 10-15-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

I've already thought of that and I don't believe shutting off the water will solve anything because if the worker accidentally breaks the pipe and then after he descends from the attic, the water is turned on again, then I assume water will emit from the broken pipe.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:08 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I guess it's either be paranoid about that sprinkler line or let the roofer find the leak and save your ceiling and roof.
Simple choice for me. Or, if you're that paranoid about it, just let him go ahead and replace the entire roof.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I guess it's either be paranoid about that sprinkler line or let the roofer find the leak and save your ceiling and roof.
Simple choice for me. Or, if you're that paranoid about it, just let him go ahead and replace the entire roof.

I don't think it has to be that extreme of a choice. There are thousands of dwelling units without attics. How do roofers find leaks in those roofs?

Old 10-15-2021, 03:30 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I've already thought of that and I don't believe shutting off the water will solve anything because if the worker accidentally breaks the pipe and then after he descends from the attic, the water is turned on again, then I assume water will emit from the broken pipe.
So you are afraid that he will break the pipe, NOT NOTICE that he has broken the pipe, and then said broken pipe will flood the space?

I just cannot believe that that is likely. OP, if this is really a concern, couldn't you SIMPLY CHECK to make sure that your worker didn't break the pipe before you turn the water back on?

You are making this way, way too complicated!

Old 10-15-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
So you are afraid that he will break the pipe, NOT NOTICE that he has broken the pipe, and then said broken pipe will flood the space?

I just cannot believe that that is likely. OP, if this is really a concern, couldn't you SIMPLY CHECK to make sure that your worker didn't break the pipe before you turn the water back on?

You are making this way, way too complicated!

Two of my neighbors had workers who accidentally activated the fire sprinkler system in the attic. Attics are covered with lots of blown in insulation, so it could be difficult to see a pipe or a sprinkler head.

I'm not going into the attic, so there is no way that I could check on what the worker touched.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:36 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
A sprinkler system shouldn't be so fragile that simply accessing the attic causes it to leak. Maybe it's actually a sprinkler leak and not a roof leak that you're experiencing. You could get a sprinkler guy to come check it out. I'm sure they could go into the attic without causing additional damage.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
A sprinkler system shouldn't be so fragile that simply accessing the attic causes it to leak. Maybe it's actually a sprinkler leak and not a roof leak that you're experiencing. You could get a sprinkler guy to come check it out. I'm sure they could go into the attic without causing additional damage.

It is not a sprinkler leak, because the leak only happened when it rained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House