Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 01:44 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrysFox View Post
My street doesn't even have a 13. The duplex is numbered 11 & 15.

Only superstion I have is that I won't live in a house with a yellow door.
No idea why, I think it was something ingrained since childhood.
Paint's so easy to change. How would you know whether the door to your house might have been painted yellow at some point? Do you scrape the paint off to make sure?

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-17-2021 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 02:40 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
I would own, and live in, the Lizzie Borden house in a heartbeat.

As for superstitions, I don't think I have any. The middle part of my phone number is 666. I chose it on purpose.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:03 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
how about a former funeral home? There is one that has been languishing nearby for a long time. Maybe because it is a double wide modular ranch with nothing inside but a half bath. It was used as a "satellite" wake location for the main funeral home.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:18 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
It is kind of freaky when you are liking a home that's for sale and the realtor whispers in your ear, "Would it bother you to know that a person (died) here recently?

Old 10-17-2021, 04:50 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Wouldn't bother me unless it was something like a former drug house and some people were killed in there - never know what drugs addicts might still be around and think the former dealer lived there

Old 10-17-2021, 06:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrysFox View Post
My street doesn't even have a 13. The duplex is numbered 11 & 15.

Only superstion I have is that I won't live in a house with a yellow door.
No idea why, I think it was something ingrained since childhood.
I painted my front door yellow about a year after I moved in.

I guess we cannot be roomies.

I don't have anything that I would classify as a superstition. The previous owner of my current home died in the house, it doesn't bother me.

I used to date a woman who lived in the apartment above a funeral home. Also not a problem for me.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:17 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
It is kind of freaky when you are liking a home that's for sale and the realtor whispers in your ear, "Would it bother you to know that a person (died) here recently?
When a house reaches a certain age, odds are someone died in the home at some point.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:06 PM

119 posts, read 59,020 times
I'll skip Norman Bates's house and Buffalo Bill's. Ditto Sharon Tate/Roman Polanski and John Wayne Gacy's.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:28 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,967 times
Always check the basement for a portal to hell. Don't buy a house across from a cemetery or funeral home, do you really want to be reminded of death every time you look out the window? You'll never know if they substituted worchestershire sauce for embalming fluid, it could become a zombie zone. You would have to spend a lot of extra money on window shutters and shotguns for every room. Check the attic for swarms of flies, if a spook whispers "get out", heed the warning, but if you have a priest (it must be a priest, minister is not strong enough) bless the house and perform exorcism, keep an eye on the priest and make sure he doesn't get sick or have mysterious accident.

Make sure the house wasn't built on Indian burial grounds!! When you check out the house, call out 3 times in a row, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, you don't want that guy popping up. As for people dying in the house, gently passing away from old age is not the same as having John Gacy live there, any violent death history should be cause for concern. Check for cold spots, see if the owner will let you put table and chairs in the kitchen for a few days before buying, check each night to see if the chairs moved (this always happens in the kitchen for some reason). Leave a money clip on the table with at least $1000, if that disappears, it was worth the money to know that you will need a safety deposit box.

Yellow doors are no problem, it's what's behind the green door that you need to worry about. No green doors. Check the closet for evil monkey or any signs of monkey poo.

Last edited by mofford; 10-17-2021 at 07:42 PM..

Old 10-17-2021, 07:31 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAZ View Post
for some reason i never would want to live at 13 of a street
13th Avenue in San Francisco is called Funston. I lived on 12th, and it always amused me that people could be so superstitious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House