Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 04:10 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times

Advertisements

Color is very personal and it sounds like you have black and dark gray in mind. Those will need another color to add a spark to your home, rather like your garage doors are doing now.

I am a painter and deep black is a powerful color. Use the visualizing tools from paint company sites to see where you can add some color: front door, garage doors. If the roof is dark you can use that as trim color with a wall color similar in value, same darkness or mid-tone as the wall color, not standing out too much in other words.

With that big an expense you might have a model built out of matboard and painted in your final colors to confirm your ideas. I'd look at it on-site in sun and overcast. You said metal roofs cause leaves to slip off them but my opinion is leaves often stay where they land for a long time. I'd keep the roof the color of dead leaves but that's me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 04:11 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maplerobin1975 View Post
Something like this.
Well, OK, I stand corrected, a black house decorated for Halloween can look great.

But seriously, OP, can you tell us what exactly you don't like about the CURRENT colors? Because the house is absolutely gorgeous AS IT IS NOW, so I am really trying to understand why you would want to take it and make it ALL BLACK or BLACK WITH DARK GRAY? I know that gray is all the rage right now, but wow, in that setting -- with beautiful colors of nature all around you -- why you would want to go black/dark gray is just beyond me.

So can you please explain what you DON'T like about the house's colors now? Maybe that would help us understand your perspective.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:46 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,748,651 times
How ironic, my kitchen is from the 50's with the honey oak cabinets which I read are outdated now, but I love them and their color looks like your garage doors. I've been picking out colors all week to either tone them down (greys, greiges, sages) or highlight them (yellow, gold, terra cotta). The decision was too overwhelming for me (it's amazing how many different undertones every white paint has, geez!). I went to a free decorator at a Benjamin Moore store for help and we decided on BM Hawthorne Yellow (pale) on the soffits above the cabinets and walls, Simply White (yellow undertones) for the woodwork trim and ceiling. I always wanted a yellow, sunny kitchen, I'm so excited about it.

Actually, I love your house the way it is, the colors look so natural in that setting. Black is going to make your house look smaller, my neighbor has the twin house of mine, but he has black gutters (mine are white), and a decorator I had over said his house looks so much smaller than mine with the black gutters outlining the house. I have a black shingled roof to keep the house warmer in the winter, but you don't see much of it from the street.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:53 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,749 times
I don't normally like garage doors emphasized, but in this case, it works. I would change the color of the doors to match some of the foliage, though.

OP: If you do go with the black (which I hope you don't, just because it offends my taste - lol), please post pics.

Love the paint that is blending with the natural environment.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:09 PM

44 posts, read 32,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Well, OK, I stand corrected, a black house decorated for Halloween can look great.

But seriously, OP, can you tell us what exactly you don't like about the CURRENT colors? Because the house is absolutely gorgeous AS IT IS NOW, so I am really trying to understand why you would want to take it and make it ALL BLACK or BLACK WITH DARK GRAY? I know that gray is all the rage right now, but wow, in that setting -- with beautiful colors of nature all around you -- why you would want to go black/dark gray is just beyond me.

So can you please explain what you DON'T like about the house's colors now? Maybe that would help us understand your perspective.
Is there some particular reason that you’re being so unpleasant and sarcastic?
I really don’t think anything I’ve posted or anything about this subject warrants it.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Is there some particular reason that you’re being so unpleasant and sarcastic?
I really don’t think anything I’ve posted or anything about this subject warrants it.
Unpleasant and sarcastic? Really? I was being silly with the Halloween remark (which I thought was obvious, since that house you posted a photo of was decorated for Halloween!). I just asked what you DON'T LIKE about the current colors. I have complimented you on the beauty of the house and the setting. Could you please tell me where I was unpleasant?

MANY posters in this thread have said that the house is beautiful as it is; I am certainly not the only one.

And I actually ended my last post with this, and I quote:

Quote:
I don't think there's anything unpleasant there?

Old 10-22-2021, 05:26 PM

44 posts, read 32,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Unpleasant and sarcastic? Really? I was being silly with the Halloween remark (which I thought was obvious, since that house you posted a photo of was decorated for Halloween!). I just asked what you DON'T LIKE about the current colors. I have complimented you on the beauty of the house and the setting. Could you please tell me where I was unpleasant?

MANY posters in this thread have said that the house is beautiful as it is; I am certainly not the only one.

And I actually ended my last post with this, and I quote:

I don't think there's anything unpleasant there?
I must have misread your tone. I apologize.

Old 10-22-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I must have misread your tone. I apologize.
No need to apologize, really! My question was a "real" one: what is it that you don't like about the current colors? Clearly, if you're wanting to change them so drastically, then you must not like them. What other colors DO you like that might go well in a natural setting?

EG my house (bought in May 2012, so I've been here close to 10 years now) is a dark brown. I, too, am surrounded by nature, so when I repaint the exterior (which I THOUGHT would happen this year, but will likely be next year), I will likely go with a lovely shade of green. Now, WHICH shade of green, who knows? (And who the heck ever knew HOW MANY shades of green there are???)

So are there other colors besides black/dark gray that appeal to you? I THINK there are some painting programs online (like through Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc.) that let you upload a photo of your house and try out different colors. I haven't done that yet, but I likely will, since going from dark brown to green is a pretty big change. Maybe that could work for you too?

Old 10-22-2021, 05:33 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
I like it. It's different.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
This looks pretty grim to me.

You’ve gotten some good advice. I’d like to add that your house should not look as if it is at war with its immediate surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House