Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 05:11 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times

Advertisements

You will learn to love the towel warmer. Unders and socks for early mornings are nice when they are warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I gather buying used is a thing of the past? Gee, I wonder what happens to all the old appliances that still work just fine!
No, it makes no sense. Appliances are part of a house and buyers expect the fridge to stay.

Old 10-31-2021, 05:41 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You will learn to love the towel warmer. Unders and socks for early mornings are nice when they are warm.
Something to look forward to! It’s looking like the second week of December to move. It can’t come soon enough, it’s been a long row to hoe.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:35 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
No, it makes no sense. Appliances are part of a house and buyers expect the fridge to stay.
Guess people have gotten very particular? Appliances MUST be brand new AND must have whatever finish happens to be fashionable at the moment (follow HGTV for guidance). Maybe this supply-chain problem will instill a little practicality, humility, and common sense back in people like it did during the Great Depression.

But don't count on it!

Old 11-01-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Guess people have gotten very particular? Appliances MUST be brand new AND must have whatever finish happens to be fashionable at the moment (follow HGTV for guidance). Maybe this supply-chain problem will instill a little practicality, humility, and common sense back in people like it did during the Great Depression.

But don't count on it!
When was the last time you sold/built a home?

Old 11-01-2021, 09:01 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
When was the last time you sold/built a home?
I last sold and bought six years ago (and have sold four and bought four in the past twenty or so years).

Why?

Not once have I felt compelled to order brand new appliances in a particular finish. That would seem like a huge waste of money to me!

Old 11-04-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I last sold and bought six years ago (and have sold four and bought four in the past twenty or so years).

Why?

Not once have I felt compelled to order brand new appliances in a particular finish. That would seem like a huge waste of money to me!
Who said anything about ordering appliances in a particular finish?

Old 12-06-2021, 04:30 PM

After a royal run-around by Lowe’s, a refrigerator was delivered today. Not the one we ordered in June, although they claimed it’ll definitely arrive this week, but rather one we snagged last week during their Black Friday sale. It was at a higher retail price sold at a slightly lower price than the one we’ve been waiting on but, in stock.

Home Depot has the same refrig back ordered until Feb.

I was very cognizant of the environment re supply chain, Covid, low employee morale, etc and was respectful during every interaction. I offered suggestions esp with respect to the person who told me this morning via a phone call it would be delivered today but an hour later, told our builder that it wouldn’t without me jumping through some more hoops. That same person said they’d have to charge me a restocking fee for the items on back ordered since June and a delivery date that changed weekly since Sept.

We were within a block of the store at another appt when I called to check delivery this morning. Had the problematic employee been truthful, I could have stopped by then, not after we got back to the apartment, some 25 miles distant. It was at that point I drove back to the store, slightly miffed, for the second time in four days to get this straightened out.

It was delivered within two hours of my visit and they’ll be crediting 20% of the price back to my credit card for all of the issues. The delivery guys were thrilled that we have double doors making their job easy-peasy. I tipped them enough for lunch and, for the problem-solvers at the store this morning, I’ll get them Starbucks gift cards or something similar. I know I’m not the first to have issues but these three did a great job and got it resolved.

All’s well that ends well.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:55 AM

31 posts, read 95,008 times
We had ordered KitchenAid appliances in August. They were backordered with estimated ship date 6-9 weeks, which would mean October timeframe. Once we actually placed the order, the ship date was then moved to December. In November the ship date was then pushed further to March 2022. That would be after our remodel is complete.

I had been monitoring various other appliance retailers, including HomeDepot and Lowes. Occasionally I would get an email that one of our appliances was back in stock, but it was sold out before I could click the link. Finally, I was able to get the refrigerator at HomeDepot and it sold out seconds later. I actually had to call HD and they called the factory and confirmed that my order had been allocated one of the in stock units. Was able to find the gas range at a retailer in Illinois and it was air freighted to Houston. Once all the appliances had been delivered and were actually in my possession, I cancelled my original order from August (Didn't want to lose my place in the waiting list if the other orders failed to arrive).

What I learned from this is that as the manufacturers have more units become available, they are allocated to the various authorized retailers who then allocate them to the orders. Some retailers get more/first allocation. Apparently where I originally ordered was further down the list, and I guess places like HomeDepot are larger customers, so they get more/first allocation?? Just happy to have them in my possession, as the cabinetry has to be built to accommodate the specific size of each appliance.

I'll echo what many people have said, if you want a refrigerator, range, etc. you can find something in stock somewhere. If you want a specific size to fit an existing cabinet, or want a specific size/make/model/color for a remodel or new build, it becomes more difficult. If you want all of the appliances to be from the same manufacturer (same style series, etc.) then it gets even tougher.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:44 PM

When you can sit in your new living room, even if we’re not completely moved in, and breath a sigh of relief while enjoying the view, you know it was worth it!

There are many views like it and even better ones. I’m happy with this one!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House