Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 03:45 PM

7,906 posts, read 3,450,203 times

Advertisements

We currently have an Eljen system installed for our leach field and after little over 20 years it is failing on us(house was built in '99). We were going to get it replaced with a traditional stone and pipe set up but our front yard is too small. The options we've been given are to replace the Eljen field with one that is about 1/3 larger than the original, go with what's called and Enviro Septic system or go deep instead of wide and get what's called a dry well. I'm not reading good things about dry wells so I'm leaning towards either the Eljen or Enviro Septic systems.

The septic contractor said we have good soil for either system. We've been in the house for about 8 years and the owners before us poured a lot of bacon grease down the drain which we're thinking may have contributed to the existing system's demise, but I'm not sure of it works that way really. The septic guy seemed to think it was a possibility, but also said Eljen fields can fail at the 20 year mark anyway. We had to replace the pipe leading from the kitchen sink to the main septic outlet line because it was so packed with a hard whitish gray grease that it stopped draining. We have never poured grease down the drain since owning the house.

So basically I'm asking if anyone has any experience with any of these types of systems or knows enough about them to suggest which type to avoid or would recommend any one in particular. For what it's worth the dry well is the more expensive option, but not by much. They're all being quoted between $9,500 and $11,000. Price won't be the deciding factor. Any advice anyone could give would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 05:11 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Septic systems in the most simple terms are all the same.
I would follow the knowledge of the local plumber/septic system installers and the AHJ recommendations.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:20 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
A dry well goes back to the early days of septic. My grandparents had one. They work great with regular cleanout of any main tank, until they don't. At that point, the dry well and some surrounding soil gets replaced. Here is the lowdown - if you are really good about not putting grease and other things down the drain, and your laundry is not excessive, they can last for years and years.

If you had a build-up of grease in the drain pipe, the previous owners/tenants were blooming idiots. Once you have overcome the remains of their excesses, you may be fine no matter what you do.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:43 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Dry wells sometimes work better than conventional where there's a top layer of clay or something, and the deeper soils are better for drainage.

On this, the right answer for the drain field is the professional who has looked at your system and your soils. We can't know better.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A dry well goes back to the early days of septic. My grandparents had one. They work great with regular cleanout of any main tank, until they don't. At that point, the dry well and some surrounding soil gets replaced. Here is the lowdown - if you are really good about not putting grease and other things down the drain, and your laundry is not excessive, they can last for years and years.

If you had a build-up of grease in the drain pipe, the previous owners/tenants were blooming idiots. Once you have overcome the remains of their excesses, you may be fine no matter what you do.
Thanks for all the replies. We are good about keeping grease and other septic unfriendly substances out of the system but we have 3 growing children and all the laundry that goes with it. As far as what our septic designer has recommended, he says the dry well may be the best option considering the size of the area we have to work with. Other than in this thread however I've yet to find anything or anyone giving a good or even neutral opinion on them, most saying it's basically one step above a cess pit.

I have some time yet before getting back to the septic guy with our decision so I'll keep doing some research. Thanks again for the replies.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:48 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
…I've yet to find anything or anyone giving a good or even neutral opinion on them, most saying it's basically one step above a cess pit.

As I previously stated, they’re all basically the same- regardless of the “name”. What works best is a combination of soil conditions, how it’s used, and volume. Which leads me to an area that has become more common with septic systems. Separated/divided waste water. Can you divide your waste system in your house? Is the house on a crawl space or basement, making the plumbing accessible?

If so, I would strongly suggest doing so. Routing “grey water” to foundation plantings, garden, or other area(s) that will benefit from the water is a greater asset than sending it to the septic system. I’ve seen some “grey water systems” that are actually plumbed to a cistern- then it’s pumped as needed for garden(s), etc.

Is it more money- sure! The trade off is extending the life of the septic system 4-5 fold; plus reducing the water usage for “watering”. Something to consider…

Old 09-13-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
As I previously stated, they’re all basically the same- regardless of the “name”. What works best is a combination of soil conditions, how it’s used, and volume. Which leads me to an area that has become more common with septic systems. Separated/divided waste water. Can you divide your waste system in your house? Is the house on a crawl space or basement, making the plumbing accessible?

If so, I would strongly suggest doing so. Routing “grey water” to foundation plantings, garden, or other area(s) that will benefit from the water is a greater asset than sending it to the septic system. I’ve seen some “grey water systems” that are actually plumbed to a cistern- then it’s pumped as needed for garden(s), etc.

Is it more money- sure! The trade off is extending the life of the septic system 4-5 fold; plus reducing the water usage for “watering”. Something to consider…
Since we started having problems with our septic system we have been routing the water from the washing machine out to the back yard. Never thought of it as a permanent solution but that's something to think about.

Anyway after getting the recommendation from the contractor we're using to design and construct the system, and also consulting with someone from the company we use to pump our system who is also an inspector, we are actually going to go with the dry well after all. The contractor says it is the best option for our circumstances and provides the most volume of any of our options. The inspector says in his experience a properly made dry well can last well over 25 years while even a well made Elgen or Enviro-septic system will usually fail before the 20 year mark, and you have to be a lot more careful about what goes in the system with those two options. Anything that uses stone instead of sand will have more longevity from what he said.

I'm already getting to the point where I am overthinking this whole thing so I'm going to go with what two separate experts are telling me about things they know much better than I do.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:13 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
A dry-well or “galley” type system is usually preferable over septic fields if the soil type allows for great percolate rates as found in a coarse sandy type soil.

A dry-well system will provide more capacity for volume, however it’s the absorption rate of the surrounding soil that ultimately controls the longevity of your system.

I’m guessing you have 1K or a 1250 gallon concrete septic tank that’s going to remain and be used for you new system?

Old 09-13-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
A dry-well or “galley” type system is usually preferable over septic fields if the soil type allows for great percolate rates as found in a coarse sandy type soil.

A dry-well system will provide more capacity for volume, however it’s the absorption rate of the surrounding soil that ultimately controls the longevity of your system.

I’m guessing you have 1K or a 1250 gallon concrete septic tank that’s going to remain and be used for you new system?
Yes it's a 1250 gallon system that is staying in place and one of the reasons(other than the size of the utilizable area in our front yard) that he recommended the dry well is because our soil is well suited to it.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:14 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Yes it's a 1250 gallon system that is staying in place and one of the reasons(other than the size of the utilizable area in our front yard) that he recommended the dry well is because our soil is well suited to it.
Yes, that is a good tank and just be sure it’s thoroughly cleaned properly and all of the sludge has been removed. That should be done along with your new septic system and with good soil percolation and a new system, you should be able to get more than 20 trouble free years of use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House