Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 03:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Ewww, gross...

Our housekeeper changes our sheets daily except on her day off. One of life's pleasures is slipping into clean, crisp, 1500 count sheets after a nice shower. The comforter gets washed about once a month. And we buy new pillows every few months.
Ewww- you have some stranger handling your bed sheets and getting her effluvia all over them? Ewwww. That is awfully intimate. Sorry you are unable to take care of yourself. That must be tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 08:07 PM

1,085 posts, read 692,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Ewww- you have some stranger handling your bed sheets and getting her effluvia all over them? Ewwww. That is awfully intimate. Sorry you are unable to take care of yourself. That must be tough.
How’s that different from staying in a hotel? And what is intimate about sheets?

Old 12-02-2021, 09:15 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
One of life's pleasures is slipping into clean, crisp, 1500 count sheets after a nice shower.
Just FYI: There is no such thing as 1500 thread cotton, because there's a maximum number of threads that can fit into a square inch of fabric. Depending on the type of cotton used, that number is generally not more than 400.

A 1200 threat - some online scam artists even go as high as 3000, is a blatant lie.

Basically, each thread can consist of four "plies", or smaller strands of low quality material that are twisted together to make a thread. So a 1200 thread count on the Amazon website would more likely be a 300 count product that is being packaged to look better to a dumbass consumer.

And here is even a bigger scam:

https://www.amazon.ca/Sweet-Home-Col...RE/ref=sr_1_16

a bed sheet set that is actually microfibre. No cotton to speak of, Egyptian or otherwise, and "Egyptian quality".

https://authenticity50.com/blogs/new...for-bed-sheets

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-count-2014-12

Old 12-02-2021, 10:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Ewww, gross...

Our housekeeper changes our sheets daily except on her day off. One of life's pleasures is slipping into clean, crisp, 1500 count sheets after a nice shower. The comforter gets washed about once a month. And we buy new pillows every few months.
Thread count doesn't matter after you get to around 300. Actually a lot of people prefer about 180-200 thread count cotton that is woven as percale. It's the weave that really matters and percale weave is crisp and clean feeling.

If you use nice pillows like a mixture of down and feather, you air them out in winter when it's below freezing. That will kill any dust mites and the sun outdoors has a deodorizing effect and the sheets will not only feel and smell better but they will be more hygienic and clean.

Buying new all the time is not only wasteful but you are getting chemicals used in the manufacturing and new sheets and pillows need to be aired out first--sheets definitely need to be washed first to get things like formaldehyde out.

You can still find quality percale bedding but only at a few places: The Company Store, L.L. Bean and maybe a few others. Smooth, crisp, luxurious, breathable. Good bedding should last for years so it's better not to get carried away with tricky advertising claims of highest threat count or cotton blends.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:37 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
And we buy new pillows every few months.
No way that I would get rid of my high quality down pillows. They are in frequently washed pillowcases. Pillows are aired daily, and washed every 3-4 months of constant sleeping on them.
Same with my down comforters - they are in duvets for protection.
I don't have animals.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:01 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Well, that was a fun read!

I change my sheets on the 15th and 30th of each month; it's easy to remember that way. I wash the comforter cover (winter) or quilt (summer) twice a season and before storing them for the season.

When I had cats, I used a collection of fleece blankets at the foot of the bed for them to sleep on. Easier to change and wash their blankets once or twice a week than to wash the comforter cover.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Even better if those sheets have been hung outside to dry on a sunny, breezy summer day.
I totally agree. And I have percale sheets so they are even more crisp and clean smelling and feeling!

Old 12-03-2021, 02:48 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
Shower before bed is great , tried it few times , but too lazy to do it often , afraid to miss something good on TV. I guess ok for men , but women” hair” a problem wet hair in bed , problem next morning .
I agree. I don’t want wet hair at night. Nor do I want to blow dry my hair, only to have it be all messy in the morning.

Anyway, sheets once a week.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:53 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I totally agree. And I have percale sheets so they are even more crisp and clean smelling and feeling!
Love "old-fashioned" percale - cool and smooth and not "grabbing" at you like the weird microfiber stuff. I got fooled by high thread counts and found they were actually less comfortable than the 200-250 TC percale (not sateen).

Old 12-03-2021, 04:34 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I haven't been able to find the old-fashioned percale/non-wrinkle sheets for more years than I want to admit and glad I have kept some really old ones that are great but they are full-size and I need queen for my bed (and not to go too off-topic, pillows today are awful!!! Some of us (me) are allergic and can't have down but the cheap, whatever they put in them now???) - Back to topic - I change my sheets (it's just me) every two weeks, I will sometimes change the pillowcases after a week but I have four bed pillows on the bed, use one when I am reading and another for sleeping - after a week, I switch them out w/the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House