Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 10:21 AM

309 posts, read 322,960 times

Advertisements

We had our crawlspace encapsulated 4 years ago. In late October we noticing an odor coming from the crawlspace. In oct/sept that is when the smell started. It is a smell that irritates your eyes and nose as if your eyes are burning. We checked for leaks no leaks at all.

We decided to peel a small section of the encapsulation and it was missing silverglow and that is when i saw this ..see attachment. We did not check all the area to make sure it was silverglow.

In our crawlspace we have water heater and HVAC. Our air filter used to be clean after 6 months but I noticed after 1 month it is a little dark and one point i felt like the filter was a little damp.

Help troubleshoot this smell.
Attached Thumbnails
Encapsulated crawlspace-img_1037.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 10:32 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdurhamnc View Post
We had our crawlspace encapsulated 4 years ago. In late October we noticing an odor coming from the crawlspace. In oct/sept that is when the smell started. It is a smell that irritates your eyes and nose as if your eyes are burning. We checked for leaks no leaks at all.

We decided to peel a small section of the encapsulation and it was missing silverglow and that is when i saw this ..see attachment. We did not check all the area to make sure it was silverglow.

In our crawlspace we have water heater and HVAC. Our air filter used to be clean after 6 months but I noticed after 1 month it is a little dark and one point i felt like the filter was a little damp.

Help troubleshoot this smell.
Pardon, but what is "silverglow"? From your picture, it doesn't look like your crawlspace has a liner on the soil floor and going up the sidewalls to just below the sill plate (so that it can be inspected for termites). Is that so? If there is no liner than I can see why there is dampness. Also, do you have a dehumidifier in the crawlspace? It can make a huge difference in keeping the relative humidity (RH) at an acceptable level.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:18 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Are you stating that you had a “Silverglo” system installed?

If so, it has a 25yr warranty- I’d be calling the local franchise; not asking a non-discript question on a forum.

The picture you posted is so closeup that it’s hard to detrimine what exactly is what- except for block wall, dirt, and something black- which could be dirt also. Who knows!

Old 11-30-2021, 12:47 PM

@Bungalove - silverglo insulation board. It is an insulation. It has a liner i pulled it back so i can take a picture. I also peeled the tape and plastic insulation to take a picture. We do have a dehumidifier set to 50. In 4yrs they had to replace it 2 or 3 times.

@KledgeBld - yes i contacted the company i also want to get input from other ppl. I always get some good information from some knowledgeable people from this forum.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:51 PM

What can cause the AC filter to be dirty in a month while before they get dirty in 6 months. Nothing changed I clean the house the same way. We have 2 units upstairs filter is pure white and downstairs it get dirty in a month like i said at one point it felt damp. Can HVAC make crawlspace smell?

Old 11-30-2021, 12:51 PM

...and what did said company say?

Old 11-30-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
What can cause the AC filter to be dirty in a month while before they get dirty in 6 months. Nothing changed I clean the house the same way. We have 2 units upstairs filter is pure white and downstairs it get dirty in a month like i said at one point it felt damp. Can HVAC make crawlspace smell?

You would most likely have some type of leak in the system ducting.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:27 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Looks like a nasty case of mold in that picture. No wonder it stinks and the filters get filthy quickly.

Old 11-30-2021, 01:49 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
@Bungalove - silverglo insulation board. It is an insulation. It has a liner i pulled it back so i can take a picture. I also peeled the tape and plastic insulation to take a picture. We do have a dehumidifier set to 50. In 4yrs they had to replace it 2 or 3 times.

@KledgeBld - yes i contacted the company i also want to get input from other ppl. I always get some good information from some knowledgeable people from this forum.
One of the reasons I added the sump pumps to my crawlspace was because my dehumidifier was working so hard - it was running almost constantly due to the extremely high water table. Adding a French drain and two sump pumps cut down on the amount of time that it had to run, and I kept the RH at a uniform 45%. My second dehumidifier lasted 8 years after that. I stick with Santa Fe units now; they're pretty indestructible.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:31 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:

They replaced the dehumidifier 2-3 times in FOUR years??? A decent dehumidifier should last 5 years EASY.
A Santa fe compact 2 has a 6 year warranty. They must be installing crap units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House