Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 03:52 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,897 times

Advertisements

Our rate for electricity has changed and will effectively cost me about 3X more than what I previously enjoyed, it's motivated me to look into finally addressing my oversized energy-hogging 20 year old 5-ton Carrier AC unit. I had the furnace, evaporative coil, and ducts replaced about 8 years ago resulting in a mismatched coil capacity. I'm told the evaporative coil would best be matched with a 3-4 ton condenser coil, not my current 5-ton. I get very cold air and a lot of condensate (RH is typically 60-80% in my area).

In the interest of saving money, should I consider buying a used 4-ton AC unit? I currently have R22 running through the coils, should I stay with an R22 AC unit or should I switch to R410? If I switch to R410, how difficult and expensive is the purging process to ensure reliable operation of the new AC system? I'd like to ask here before I talk to a HVAC contractor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 04:22 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Our rate for electricity has changed and will effectively cost me about 3X more than what I previously enjoyed, it's motivated me to look into finally addressing my oversized energy-hogging 20 year old 5-ton Carrier AC unit. I had the furnace, evaporative coil, and ducts replaced about 8 years ago resulting in a mismatched coil capacity. I'm told the evaporative coil would best be matched with a 3-4 ton condenser coil, not my current 5-ton. I get very cold air and a lot of condensate (RH is typically 60-80% in my area).

In the interest of saving money, should I consider buying a used 4-ton AC unit? I currently have R22 running through the coils, should I stay with an R22 AC unit or should I switch to R410? If I switch to R410, how difficult and expensive is the purging process to ensure reliable operation of the new AC system? I'd like to ask here before I talk to a HVAC contractor.
You cannot legally install an R22 unit since 2015; the DOE closed the loophole with "dry charge" units when the 2015 energy efficiency standards went into effect. Since 2015 the energy efficiency standards require that the advertised SEER rating of condensers be tested in specific system combinations. Since the EPA does not allow complete installation of R22 systems, there is no tested system combination for the dry charge R22 condensers thus they cannot comply with 2015 energy efficiency regulations.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:23 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Sounds like it’s “bite-the-bullet” time- get a matched system.

And to know you are getting the best possible system for your house- insist on having a Manual-J calculation done. Not a RE calculation that goes something like…
“‘X’sq/ft=‘Y’tonnage+extras” Really good HVAC companies don’t work that way!

Old 12-01-2021, 10:15 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,567,655 times
Buying a used unit is potentially buying someone else's problems. Get a new unit, properly sized, with a new warranty.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:52 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
When we replaced our 30 year old unit with a new Trane 19 seer 4 ton unit our electric bill was cut in half.

Old 12-02-2021, 04:04 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
The region you live can effect what you may need as well as the size and type of home. I generally don’t like heat pump systems but they can help save money in the winter in warmer climate areas.

Have a reputable company come out and do an estimate on your system. The new stuff may be the wrong size for your home or the old stuff may be too big for your home. Find out for sure before ordering anything. We had our entire home’s central air system replaced including the air ducts. We called a reputable local company. They measured our home and looked over our existing system. They then gave us a selection of options to choose from including their most expensive to their lowest priced option. They didn’t push any one particular model, just a particular capacity.

Old 12-02-2021, 05:10 AM

311 posts, read 478,018 times
Is it legal to install a used R22 compressor? IMO, the only reason to consider a used AC compressor would be if you were planning to move in 6 months, and you needed a "cheap as possible" stopgap solution, although I can understand the desire to avoid replacing the whole system (if that is indeed possible).

Does the square footage of your home dictate that you need a 5-ton unit? If not (i.e., if a 4 ton unit has adequate capacity), and you have a 4-ton evaporative coil, then I guess the decision to go with a 4 ton is a no-brainer. On the other hand, if the size of your home dictates that a 5-ton compressor is required, going with a 4 ton (which, as you say, is matched to the capacity of the evaporator) may not be a bad idea. I would assume that it would run longer cycles than the 5-ton (drawing less power, of course), meaning that the house may take longer to cool down. But the longer run time may also help with humidity removal. Overall power consumption may actually be better. Its a little like a "poor mans" 2-stage compressor, only it always runs at the "low" setting

Old 12-02-2021, 05:43 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
When we replaced our 30 year old unit with a new Trane 19 seer 4 ton unit our electric bill was cut in half.
^^^^^^this

I had a tired unit, a/c swore my electric bill would cut in half............it did!

Old tired unit was struggling to keep up, running longer than a new one would have to so the savings was going to happen. Plus the new one is more efficient.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:16 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Not exactly cut in half but my new AC, installed in March, cut my electric bill by at least $100 per month.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:38 AM

640 posts, read 449,610 times
OP, I understand that you are trying to save money, but I wouldn't do what you are proposing. You've gone this piecemeal route already, and you are back at it? For your sanity and comfort's sake, please find a reputable company to replace the whole thing. Get multiple proposals, study reviews to find a good company that would supply a reliable system.

That's how you save money long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House