Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 10:36 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

i don't like the side by side. it always felt smaller and i could never fit as much in it and it was not a good size and shape configuration for stacking and storing the items i liked. UGH. i refuse to get a side by side ever.

my favorite unit and arrangement had the freezer on the BOTTOM. I loved it. Both the refrigerator and the freezer (separate doors) were huge and worked great and easy to access everything in both. first thing i made sure i got in the divorce was that freezer-on-the-bottom refrigerator. (he could have all the ugly antique furniture from his parents. i never liked it anyway. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 11:28 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
When I bought my house there was already a refrigerator in it. A 2015 Whirlpool. The freezer space is huge compared to what I was used to (ice box inside a fridge deal) but, even with the additional table top freezer, it just isn't adequate for my freezer needs, whereas the refrigerator portion is way too big. My freezers are stuffed to the gills, and the refrigerator is almost always mostly empty with the exception of the many half gallons of milk and the cats' current meals.

(when I lived in my old place with the ice box freezer and the table top freezer I used to have to keep a lot of stuff in a friend's deep freeze. Which as you can imagine was not very convenient.)

I tend to just keep things in the freezer until I need them. The fridge just doesn't stay cold enough to suit me. I like to keep it at about 30, but this thing won't stay at 30. At the medium setting it stays just under 40 and at the colder setting it drops to 25. I don't like frozen milk.

I disconnected the in-freezer ice maker but didn't know how to take it out, so it takes up a lot of room in my freezer.

I don't want an ice maker, I don't want water or ice coming out the door. I just want an appliance that gives me more even space, more freezer, less fridge.

Would a side by side do it?

PS I do not have any place to put a top opening deep freeze, even a small one. That was the same issue in my old place, and why I bought the table top unit.
What you could use is a freezer that has a single door that's the size of a fridge. This, in conjunction with your existing combo, should satisfy your needs. The best place to have this upright freezer, is in the garage. (I have a regular Fridge/freezer combo in my garage.) It sure opens up options for when I go to Costco for provisions. I call it the "Auxiliary Fridge..."

The lad being outta the Army, likes that. And, it allows him to smoke briskets and pork butts at the same time on his Req-Teq. I don't have a cat, but I do have a dog. He likes brisket...

Old 12-07-2021, 06:26 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
What you could use is a freezer that has a single door that's the size of a fridge. This, in conjunction with your existing combo, should satisfy your needs. The best place to have this upright freezer, is in the garage. (I have a regular Fridge/freezer combo in my garage.) It sure opens up options for when I go to Costco for provisions. I call it the "Auxiliary Fridge..."

The lad being outta the Army, likes that. And, it allows him to smoke briskets and pork butts at the same time on his Req-Teq. I don't have a cat, but I do have a dog. He likes brisket...
Depends on where you live. The desert is brutal for any appliances kept in the garage. Not sure where the OP lives but when we lived in NV, going into the garage was like walking into hell. When we lived in NJ, an extra fridge or a freezer in the garage wasn't unusual.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:35 AM

2,612 posts, read 927,568 times
Are bottom freezers always a drawer? I might take a look at a bottom freezer if it was a french door with regular shelves.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:06 AM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Are bottom freezers always a drawer? I might take a look at a bottom freezer if it was a french door with regular shelves.
My bottom freezer is a large drawer. Within that drawer is a bottom area that is split into two distinct areas. The top area of the freezer has two layers of shelving that pull out - each one pulls out separately. I love it because it's so easy to compartmentalize everything in the freezer and only access whichever area I want at one time.

The upper portion of the refrigerator is a side by side French door with a glass see through portion for drinks that lights up when you knock on it. To access drinks you don't have to open the entire door, just the glass part.

Between the upper refrigerator portion and the bottom freezer is a separate pull out area that is the width of the entire refrigerator and separately regulated by temp for different items - wine setting, deli setting, etc.

I've had this fridge for about five years and have never had a maintenance problem with it. I change the air and water filters every year and that's about it.

Old 12-07-2021, 02:50 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
When I bought my house there was already a refrigerator in it. A 2015 Whirlpool. The freezer space is huge compared to what I was used to (ice box inside a fridge deal) but, even with the additional table top freezer, it just isn't adequate for my freezer needs, whereas the refrigerator portion is way too big. My freezers are stuffed to the gills, and the refrigerator is almost always mostly empty with the exception of the many half gallons of milk and the cats' current meals.

(when I lived in my old place with the ice box freezer and the table top freezer I used to have to keep a lot of stuff in a friend's deep freeze. Which as you can imagine was not very convenient.)

I tend to just keep things in the freezer until I need them. The fridge just doesn't stay cold enough to suit me. I like to keep it at about 30, but this thing won't stay at 30. At the medium setting it stays just under 40 and at the colder setting it drops to 25. I don't like frozen milk.

I disconnected the in-freezer ice maker but didn't know how to take it out, so it takes up a lot of room in my freezer.

I don't want an ice maker, I don't want water or ice coming out the door. I just want an appliance that gives me more even space, more freezer, less fridge.

Would a side by side do it?

PS I do not have any place to put a top opening deep freeze, even a small one. That was the same issue in my old place, and why I bought the table top unit.

For your needs/desires, perhaps an upright, full-size freezer plus a mini-fridge as well? With that, you might not need the table-top freezer at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House