Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 07:01 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times

Advertisements

Ive got a couple of people lined up to come check this, but it wont be until after New Years, so Im asking for opinions. First, our kitchen and dining room are one big room, vents are on opposite ends of room, but under the linolium at each vent it has turned a greyish/blueish color. One had a china cabinet near it, and where one of the legs on it were actaually "sunk" into the linolium and wood, almost like flooring was wet and got soft. (Which it may have, but I dont see how). The 3rd and 4th vents show no issues. Second, in our bedroom, and only in tha troom, the oak floors have buckled at one vent. The other is fine, and so are all the other floors near vents in the house. Any ideas why these 3 areas could be like this? (Wish it was easy to post pics for me, I sure they would help.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 07:36 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
It’s most likely a condensation problem.

Knowing and understanding rH, the size of the A/C unit, insulation of both the house and the HVAC system will help in determining where and how to resolve the issue. It would also help to know if the floor is above a basement or crawl- and their current condition?

Old 12-16-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It’s most likely a condensation problem.

Knowing and understanding rH, the size of the A/C unit, insulation of both the house and the HVAC system will help in determining where and how to resolve the issue. It would also help to know if the floor is above a basement or crawl- and their current condition?
rH? AC unit is a American Standard (Trane) "gas pack" 3 ton, I believe. New 4 years ago, and new ductwork then too, insulated. Crawlspace, but is incapsulated, which was done the same time as the new HVAC.

This just started happening like within the last 6 months.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:05 AM

1,085 posts, read 692,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
rH? AC unit is a American Standard (Trane) "gas pack" 3 ton, I believe. New 4 years ago, and new ductwork then too, insulated. Crawlspace, but is incapsulated, which was done the same time as the new HVAC.

You’ve got a moisture issue somewhere in the mix. I agree with KBuilder that it’s likely condensed water from the air.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:

rH (relative humidity)

All of that sounds good…
So, we venture further down the rabbit hole.
I’ll assume you don’t have a whole house humidifier- and the crawl space is being conditioned?

Door and window weatherstripping. Have all the floor penetrations in the crawl space been sealed (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.)? What about the ceiling/attic space (adequate insulation, penetrations sealed, including the access)? Is the exterior of the house in sound shape (caulking, paint, trim, etc.)?

Since you said you have new duct work, I’ll have to assume that it was installed correctly and the register boots were properly insulated…?

Old 12-16-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
You’ve got a moisture issue somewhere in the mix. I agree with KBuilder that it’s likely condensed water from the air.
I could and would agree, but would the subfloor not show any signs of moisture? In the one area in the kitchen I can get to under the house, I cut the plastic at the tape and pulled it back and I could not see any signs of moisture there. The end where my bedroom is is lowr to the ground and Im too claustrophobic to check that.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I could and would agree, but would the subfloor not show any signs of moisture?
In 6mons? Probably not. But again, this is clearly a rH problem-
It’s a matter of finding where the moisture is coming from!

Old 12-16-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
rH (relative humidity)

All of that sounds good…
So, we venture further down the rabbit hole.
I’ll assume you don’t have a whole house humidifier- and the crawl space is being conditioned?

Door and window weatherstripping. Have all the floor penetrations in the crawl space been sealed (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc.)? What about the ceiling/attic space (adequate insulation, penetrations sealed, including the access)? Is the exterior of the house in sound shape (caulking, paint, trim, etc.)?

Since you said you have new duct work, I’ll have to assume that it was installed correctly and the register boots were properly insulated…?
Im only a couple of hours MW of you, so our weather is about the same! Ill answer the best I can remember. No whole home humifier. The crawl space has vents, 2 on eash end, 3 in the back, and 2 in the front. The 2 on the kithcen end have thermostatically controlled fans, but Im not sure what they are set at, They (the fams) were put in when the other work was done. Doors and windows were the highest quality I could find 20 years ago when we renovated, and are still in great shape and functioning properly. The old ducts were simple metal piping, but was repalced with flexible insulted ductwork, which cost almost as much as the HVAC unit, and Im certain the register boots wre replaced, but I cant recall if the insualation is inside the boot or outside. I do know one wasnt changed because it went up into a wall in the bathroom and changing would have required taking out tile. I dont know the R-value of the attic insulation, but it was blown in back when we remodeled as well.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:09 AM

6,148 posts, read 4,511,316 times
The grayish blue color under the lino can be glue.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:30 AM

1,085 posts, read 692,338 times
You’re definitely going to want the rH inside measured. With all of the changes that have been made to the structure and envelope there may not be enough venting or fresh air exchange.

I had a neighbor that was experiencing similar issues in TX, caused by an oversized AC unit that didn’t run enough to dry the air out in the summer causing a ton of condensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House