Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 897 times

Advertisements

Recently bought a new house and want to know if it looks like the foundation has been repaired in the past.

started checking for potential foundation issues after I noticed some drainage issues.

Soil around the foundation is very saturated. I do not know much about homes in general and nothing about foundations.

I noticed a piece of stone in the garden at the edge of the brick steps leading to the front door. I was concerned it could be a piece of dried cement slurry from a slabjacking repair. I dug out the front step for about 14 inches. It looks like someone did some type of foundation repair.

The cement walkway seems to be poured of a the first row of the brick stairs. anyone have any input on the pictures?

one is of the stone/cement chunk i found. The other is a bad picture of the stairs. The dirt is normally flush with the concrete walkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 897 times
Default trouble posting pictures

Just joined the forum and dont seem to have the option to post pictures

Old 12-21-2021, 07:07 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOB101 View Post
Just joined the forum and dont seem to have the option to post pictures
Post a link to an image hosting site like Imgur.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:12 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Before we even get to pics-
Disclosure statements are a joke! If you really want to believe them, you’re delusional.

So, what is the problem? Does the foundation appear to be in good shape? Are there cracks? Are the stairs level and sound? Is there moisture/water in the basement/crawl space? Is there gutter and downspouts; and how/where are they being dumped?

If the surrounding grade is “saturated”, then there is a grade problem that needs to be addressed.

Old 12-21-2021, 01:56 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Before we even get to pics-
Disclosure statements are a joke! If you really want to believe them, you’re delusional.

So, what is the problem? Does the foundation appear to be in good shape? Are there cracks? Are the stairs level and sound? Is there moisture/water in the basement/crawl space? Is there gutter and downspouts; and how/where are they being dumped?

If the surrounding grade is “saturated”, then there is a grade problem that needs to be addressed.
I agree that many water intrusion/standing problems are a result of poor or no drainage away from the foundation. I have seen something as simple as gutters solve the problem.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:40 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,683,589 times
Well, OP, did you buy a low lying house with all the surrounding land sloping toward the house? Water flows downhill.

Don't buy a low house.

Old 12-21-2021, 03:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
for a fee,you can get an expert to take a look at your house.
downhere, we have seen some houses with foundation crack,the first sign is to look at the ceiling,it will show cracks,
call the foundation repair company ,it would cost a few thousand dollars,what they do is jack up one corner of the foundation and inject cement to fix the crack.
I dont know how an appraiser can tell or you can ask the seller,if he has used a foundation repair company,the company should have record of his house,

Old 12-21-2021, 03:23 PM

640 posts, read 450,364 times
OP, tell us what exactly is your concern. Some concrete around the entrance steps? That's not foundation, just a sloppy stair construction maybe. Does the actual house foundation show cracks, or the house is leaning? Those would be the examples of foundation problems. Without seeing the pictures, that's all we can tell you.

But beyond that, did you have a building inspection before you bought the house? If not, you could retain an inspector now, or better, a structural engineer, to look at the issue.

Old 12-21-2021, 03:47 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
why not call a foundation repair company and ask them to take a look?
Hope it does not charge you a fee just to show up .

Old 12-21-2021, 06:06 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
why not call a foundation repair company and ask them to take a look?
Hope it does not charge you a fee just to show up .
A structural engineer is a better bet. It's almost a sure bet that a foundation repair company will find a foundation issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House