Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 08:07 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times

Advertisements

My house has a kitchen, bathroom, and hallway with hardwood floors on the first level. But then the living room, family room, and dining room are carpeting. I was going to add hardwood to the dining room and leave the main TV living room carpeted. My question is about the other family room. Would it look stupid to not hardwood that also? I think it would just look weird to have two separate carpeted rooms on the first floor surrounded by carpeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 09:09 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
My house has a kitchen, bathroom, and hallway with hardwood floors on the first level. But then the living room, family room, and dining room are carpeting. I was going to add hardwood to the dining room and leave the main TV living room carpeted. My question is about the other family room. Would it look stupid to not hardwood that also? I think it would just look weird to have two separate carpeted rooms on the first floor surrounded by carpeting.
I think it depends on the layout as to whether that might look odd. I have an open floor plan in my main living areas so I prefer hardwoods in all the rooms with tile in the kitchen but I have seen people with my style house do a combination of carpet and hardwood. I prefer the flow of having all hardwoods and using area rugs. But that's just my personal preference.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:18 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Quote:
It's really your personal preference and how the layout works. Our last house had only carpeting on the first floor in the family room, but it was an older home (no open floor plan) so it looked and worked out fine since it was a separate, removed space.

Our current house is a more open floor plan and the family room was carpeted when we bought it which was kind of stupid since you would walk through the back end of the family room from the foyer in order to access the kitchen area. So essentially that section of carpet got a ton of wear and tear and looked it when we bought the house. We had the carpet completely removed and just had hardwood floors weaved in to match the rest of the first floor. Functionally and aesthetically it works/looks much better for us now.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:44 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
I think it would just look weird to have two separate carpeted rooms on the first floor surrounded by carpeting.

I think you answered your own question!

Old 12-29-2021, 10:43 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Is this a followup question to "Does this dress ...?" In general form follows function. If something isn't working, change or fix it. You can always find people to approve or disapprove of ANY esthetic choice.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:47 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Europeans have carpet in their bedrooms only.
Carpet no matter how well you vaccum,there is still a lot of dust in it,not healthy

Old 12-29-2021, 01:39 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Europeans have carpet in their bedrooms only.
Carpet no matter how well you vaccum,there is still a lot of dust in it,not healthy
I'm always amused by that concept of carpet. Dust IN a carpet that isn't an outgassing chemical has zero bearing on health. Dust on hard floors is much more easily made airborne by walking or passing air currents.

Here is a hint - in an unkempt area of a house, compare how many dust bunnies are under furniture in carpeted and uncarpeted areas. Those dust bunnies are just the stuff that is too heavy to rise in the air.

Many people don't like carpet. Great. More power to 'em. However, making up porkies to justify that dislike is impressive only to those who already don't like carpet or are not thinking very hard.

With pets, carpets can stink from oils, fur balls, and unfortunate accidents. In a home without pets, and even reasonable cleaning, carpets are no danger to health, any more than the carpet in your car, fabric on your furniture, or any other soft good. Out of curiosity, how many here have ripped the carpet out of their cars and replaced it with a hard surface for health reasons?

Old 12-29-2021, 02:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Do whatever you want, don't worry about what anyone else thinks! Flooring should be done to suit your taste and your needs. For example, in a wet climate no carpet in the entry, if you love hardwood, use it in the rooms where you spend the most waking hours. We have hardwood in the entry, den, family room and kitchen, the rest carpet. We like the carpet on our feet upstairs in the bedrooms, but in the living and dining rooms we will eventually replace with hardwood to match the rest of the downstairs. It's not a big deal, so I prefer to wait until the carpet is worn before taking it out.

I agree with you Harry, but I did put in hard surface Husky floor liners in my truck! Not for health reasons, though, our fir tree needles get caught in vehicle carpet and won't even vacuum up.

Old 12-29-2021, 03:12 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
Quote:
That's odd. Usually if a house has hardwood in a kitchen and bath, it's an older home that has hardwood throughout. Have you looked under that carpeting?

As for carpeting anywhere, it has dust mites, collects dander (whether people or animals) and every other nasty thing, so yes, hardwood is preferred for those who are germaphobes or have allergies.

As for carpeting in some rooms and not in others, it's the flow from room to room that matters, and keeping the same level and not creating threshholds that rise and fall with different flooring.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:28 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Is there hardwood under the carpet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House