Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 03:09 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
......... (I would prefer something more natural like bamboo or nicer finished laminate flooring to use with area rugs).

Bamboo flooring looks really nice and it is supposed to be quite durable. You can get it in a range of colors.

My preference is hardwood and if you go for some of the durable common woods, like oak, they aren't too much more expensive than a high end laminate. You can get oak flooring in a range of colors and it has a good rating for durability. Some of the exotic hardwood floors cost a fortune, but you don't really have to have that type of wood to have it look good.

I'm not a huge fan of laminates, but when you get into the high end laminates, they look good. It's just that at that level, they start to get a bit expensive.

Up to about $600,000 - $700,000 around here, you will see a lot of luxury plank vinyl. It's not hardwood, but it looks nice and it is easy care and durable.

The engineered hardwood might be less expensive than the solid hardwood, depending upon what type of wood you choose and no one can tell the difference just by looking.

How long do you plan to stay in the house? My opinion is that if I am staying I will spend more and get exactly what I want. If I am selling soon, then cost is considered and I'll go as cheap as I can go and have it still look good.

I love the look of a good hardwood floor with area rugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 04:25 PM

7,724 posts, read 3,773,440 times
Bamboo.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:42 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,066,262 times
I prefer tile or luxury vinyl planks. I have severe asthma so I have robot vacuums that daily vacuum, and robot mops that mop so it’s easy to keep everything clean and dust free as much as possible.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:14 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
I prefer tile or luxury vinyl planks. I have severe asthma so I have robot vacuums that daily vacuum, and robot mops that mop so it’s easy to keep everything clean and dust free as much as possible.
I have pretty bad allergies and have no wall-to-wall. Anything else would be better than that to me. I wouldn't choose tile because I live in an area with a cold winter.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:36 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
I have two bedrooms that I need to find new flooring for, would prefer not to use any carpeting. What are the best on-trend flooring items to use? (I would prefer something more natural like bamboo or nicer finished laminate flooring to use with area rugs).
Real wood flooring, finished in place, has been "on-trend" for hundreds of years. It is the most natural of all floor surfaces; well, probably third to unfinished stone or dirt.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:45 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Count me in as someone who prefers good quality carpet in bedrooms. With the exception of one, all of our bedrooms have carpeted floors. We also have carpet in our hobby room as people sit on the floor and carpet is the best for that.
I like carpet too for bedrooms…nothing beats it as far as comfort/coziness IMO.

Old 01-05-2022, 01:45 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'm going to go with a lighter colored bamboo wood for the bedrooms. They are both smaller than 11X13 so luckily it won't need to cover a very large surface area. I've already put around $50K into the house since I bought in 2019. I'm looking to sell in the next 5-10 years for hopefully a sizable profit.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:27 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'm going to go with a lighter colored bamboo wood for the bedrooms. They are both smaller than 11X13 so luckily it won't need to cover a very large surface area. I've already put around $50K into the house since I bought in 2019. I'm looking to sell in the next 5-10 years for hopefully a sizable profit.
Honestly I'd match the flooring with the other bedroom since you have all types of flooring in your home and the bamboo just adds one more type. If you have laminate in one of the bedrooms then do laminate. My downstairs bedroom has wood because the rest of the main floor is wood, but upstairs all beds and the hobby room (living space) is carpet.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:44 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Honestly I'd match the flooring with the other bedroom since you have all types of flooring in your home and the bamboo just adds one more type. If you have laminate in one of the bedrooms then do laminate. My downstairs bedroom has wood because the rest of the main floor is wood, but upstairs all beds and the hobby room (living space) is carpet.
Agree completely; there are already too many different floor types in the house. Find one that is in an adjacent area and duplicate it.

And I wish people would stop calling bamboo "wood." Bamboo is a type of grass and bamboo flooring is that grass processed and mixed with plastic based binders. It is no more wood than is vinyl planking with a "wood look."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House