Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2022, 12:35 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,169,630 times

Advertisements

A few days ago, one big branch of neighbor's tree broke due to weight of icy snow, part of tree branch definitely hit some portion of my roof(I heard the sound) before falling to ground, but major weight of tree branch did not hit my roof (so I guess it did not cause big damage on my roof, if there is any damage). When the branch fell on the ground and it also brought down power line/cable line.

The snow on roof has not melted yet, and I cannot go up to the roof and check until a few days later. One more snow tonight.

I am not sure if I should let homeowner insurance company know if there is no visible damage or damage is small (small enough to under insurance deductible amount). I am concerned if it damaged too much beyond what I know (I am not professional to make judgement on possible invisible damage, such damage roof wood structure), but at the meanwhile I failed to file claim now.

The reason I don't want to let insurance company know: if there is not much visible damage, I can just let it go, if insurance company knows it (determine no damage this time, but know the tree may cause future damage), it may affect my insurance premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 02:11 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
If there's attic space where the limb hit- go check.
If there are no visible/noticeable signs of damage, then check the exterior after the snow has melted.

Then you should know which way to proceed.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If there's attic space where the limb hit- go check.
If there are no visible/noticeable signs of damage, then check the exterior after the snow has melted.

Then you should know which way to proceed.
I agree, if no sign of damage coming down thru then it could just be a simple replacement of a few shingles.
We had that happen once and it came thru a skylight, but we just paid for it ourselves rather than bother with the insurance. Our premium was high enough already. Since our state banned the discount for good credit score and it went up by 16%, with no claims in 27 years.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:55 PM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Take a picture of the fallen branch and the marks in the snow on the roof, if it hasn't been moved yet !

Old 01-06-2022, 03:16 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Also note that most likely your insurance has a clause stating you must make an effort to ensure no further damage can occur - ie hold in roof, cover it so weather doesn't get into the house.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:13 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
If you notify your insurance company, they will open a file for it. Even if you never file a claim it can come back to bite you in the a$$ down the road. This happened to me years ago. It was listed as a "zero dollar claim", and caused me to be denied coverage from a different company when I wanted to change my carrier.

Check the underside of the roof in your attic and keep an eye out for leaks as the snow melts.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:48 PM

1,085 posts, read 691,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
If you notify your insurance company, they will open a file for it. Even if you never file a claim it can come back to bite you in the a$$ down the road. This happened to me years ago. It was listed as a "zero dollar claim", and caused me to be denied coverage from a different company when I wanted to change my carrier.

Check the underside of the roof in your attic and keep an eye out for leaks as the snow melts.
This is false. You had an open claim because it was not closed. I deal with this all day, an idiot advised you and it was the blind leading the blind.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:08 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post

Sing it! Some liar on the phone told me that they wouldn't open a file. There was no claim and I still got a slight ding.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:40 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
This is false. You had an open claim because it was not closed. I deal with this all day, an idiot advised you and it was the blind leading the blind.
It's not false. Facts are real, even if you don't like them. I fought this battle for several years before it timed out of my records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House