Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 01:55 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Pic in post #30 looks like there’s that super common fake beadboard stuff. That’s what was in my in-laws place too and I just popped off and reused it.

Nope- that is the roof.
As I previously stated, I had that exact type of structure on a previous house. Look closely, there is a seam every 16-18", that is where that structural flange is on the exterior side. The top of the flange is a lap joint that is pinched together with a roll-pincher- making the seam weather-tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 09:50 PM

1,085 posts, read 691,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Nope- that is the roof.
As I previously stated, I had that exact type of structure on a previous house. Look closely, there is a seam every 16-18", that is where that structural flange is on the exterior side. The top of the flange is a lap joint that is pinched together with a roll-pincher- making the seam weather-tight.
That oxidation sure doesn’t say weather tight, but I see what you’re saying. I had to pull it up on the laptop to get a better picture (damn aging eyes). Based on all that, it would surely need to be insulated and finished from the underside. Possibly sealed as well above since there appears to be a lot of moisture (could be condensation/humidity).

Putting another roof on top of this one though? Sounds kind of ludicrous to me.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:27 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
That oxidation sure doesn’t say weather tight, but I see what you’re saying. I had to pull it up on the laptop to get a better picture (damn aging eyes). Based on all that, it would surely need to be insulated and finished from the underside. Possibly sealed as well above since there appears to be a lot of moisture (could be condensation/humidity).

Putting another roof on top of this one though? Sounds kind of ludicrous to me.
IIRC, when my neighbor had to replace his Florida room after one of the hurricanes... Wilma?... Code required plans for approval and there was a type of approved SIP that was used. I don't think this is it, but it was similar.

https://www.homeporchandpatiokits.co..._enclosure.htm

What is ludicrous is the continuing fascination with trying to attach cheap foamboard to a grandfathered cheap roof and being frustrated with the OP for not doing it. It is a waste of time, money, and a sure way to get a HOA into a hornet nest frenzy. By the time fines and legal bills are paid, TWO new Florida rooms could be built for the costs incurred. A non-attached ceiling that is similar to a kid making a fort out of a card table MIGHT squeak by for a few months, but even that is a possible waste of money (without the fines).

Old 01-14-2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
IIRC, when my neighbor had to replace his Florida room after one of the hurricanes... Wilma?... Code required plans for approval and there was a type of approved SIP that was used. I don't think this is it, but it was similar.

https://www.homeporchandpatiokits.co..._enclosure.htm

What is ludicrous is the continuing fascination with trying to attach cheap foamboard to a grandfathered cheap roof and being frustrated with the OP for not doing it. It is a waste of time, money, and a sure way to get a HOA into a hornet nest frenzy. By the time fines and legal bills are paid, TWO new Florida rooms could be built for the costs incurred. A non-attached ceiling that is similar to a kid making a fort out of a card table MIGHT squeak by for a few months, but even that is a possible waste of money (without the fines).
Show the bylaw it violates. Not your assumption, the one that actually applies.

I knocked down ambient temps 10 degrees and “real feel” about 12-13 with changes I made with “cheap (what the OP was actually looking for) foam board - Lo
And behold, no frenzy.

Show the bylaw.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:53 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Show the bylaw it violates. Not your assumption, the one that actually applies.

I knocked down ambient temps 10 degrees and “real feel” about 12-13 with changes I made with “cheap (what the OP was actually looking for) foam board - Lo
And behold, no frenzy.

Show the bylaw.
Tell ya what. Show me a listing of all HOAs in Florida, a current online PDF website showing all the bylaws, and determine which HOA is involved, and then,maybe, I'll waste MY time.

Oh yeah, AND live in Florida for about twenty years to have an understanding of how a HOA board will act totally capriciously and how long various building materials last.

I've done my share of redneck engineering, and yeah, foam can cut heat transfer. I also know not to tempt retired NYC control freaks with nothing to do but make the lives of others total h e double hockey sticks.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Tell ya what. Show me a listing of all HOAs in Florida, a current online PDF website showing all the bylaws, and determine which HOA is involved, and then,maybe, I'll waste MY time.

Oh yeah, AND live in Florida for about twenty years to have an understanding of how a HOA board will act totally capriciously and how long various building materials last.

I've done my share of redneck engineering, and yeah, foam can cut heat transfer. I also know not to tempt retired NYC control freaks with nothing to do but make the lives of others total h e double hockey sticks.
Show me:

1. Wherein adding insulation to a screen porch roof is “redneck engineering”.

2. Pick any HOA at random and find where you could not add insulation to a SFH.

My point was that:

1. It works, it’s proven to work, it makes no material change to the structure or requires a permit.

2. Absolutely nobody has been able to state where an HOA would have any restrictions that would disallow this.

3. I’ve actually done this in a FL HOA neighborhood.

Seriously. Some of the dumbassery and assumptions in these threads sometimes… don’t people ever read?

Old 01-17-2022, 01:22 PM

572 posts, read 324,692 times
What about the insulation from the inside of this house extension rather doing it from the outside. The insulation will make it cooler in the summer and cozy in winters.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:40 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolair View Post
What about the insulation from the inside of this house extension rather doing it from the outside. The insulation will make it cooler in the summer and cozy in winters.

Guess you didn't read the whole thread!???

RIF!

Old 01-17-2022, 09:45 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,376,614 times
Clean top really well, then coat with this stuff :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lanco-5-...00-2/304353858

Old 01-21-2022, 02:20 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I didn't read every page, so forgive me if it's been suggested, but Conklin (and probably other manufacturers) makes a spray-on roof coating that will measurably reduce thermal transfer. It looks like spray foam when it's applied but is engineered to be used on roofs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House