Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 08:51 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I enjoy wood working for the most part.
You know, where I came from, there are true hardwood furniture building retail outlets. They do woodworking classes, they sell different versions of woodworking stuff. My dad used to go to one in Pittsburgh because they always knew exactly what he should do. And he did some amazing things. He was a hobbyist furniture maker. He once made an oak round table that was about 2 inches thick, maybe an inch and a half. It had an inlaid maple and walnut checkerboard. He cut all those little pieces and fit them — I mean it was an amazing piece. I believe there were six coats of poly on it too. It was for our game room bar area.

I would think that an outlet like that would still exist. I would start by looking up woodworking furniture making classes and see what pops up.

You could also see if your library has access to any of the older fine woodworking periodicals. I don’t think my library‘s out here half magazines at all anymore. That was a great draw for me and I’ve never had to pay for the darn things.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:38 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
I actually had good luck with the Klean Strip stripper, I caked it on, and kept it wet for about 30 minutes, then took a scraper, and the poly/stain just peeled off, there is some stain still remaining, but Im going to use a palm sander on that, trying to sand sticky stuff is terrible, 5 minutes and the sanding pad is destroyed/caked up and useless!

I think what happened, the original owner used something that didnt mix well with the finished poly or lacquer, the only sticky parts were the tops of chairs, where you sit and the top part of the back rest, the legs and underside are fine, not tacky at all, so Im probably going to just match up the reddish stain and re do the lacquer finish, and either keep it or sell it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House