Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 01:57 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times

Advertisements

I live in Arizona, dry nearly year 'round.
We keep the humidifier at 50% and get very little static.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 02:59 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
A grounding wire will only discharge static charges if there is significant electrical conductivity. In humid environments there is enough moisture on insulating objects to provide the conductive path.

Increasing the humidity is the most straightforward solution.

OR you could dust the carpets, etc. with plenty of graphite powder.

(Operating rooms, etc. will use flooring that is engineered for higher electrical conductivity to dissipate static charge. As you might imagine, that flooring is not very aesthetic.)

Old 02-02-2022, 03:00 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parnassia View Post

roflmao!!!

Old 02-02-2022, 03:14 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,026,852 times
It won't solve the problem throughout your home, but if you are having issues with getting static shocks when you touch things, you may want to consider using a small metal item to discharge the static. I always carry either a metal key, or a piece of soldering wire in my pocket during winter. If I have to touch something metal, I touch it first with the key or the wire to discharge the static before I touch it with my hand.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:27 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
I just use my keys or small pocketknife to touch a doorknob or file cabinet so I don't get zapped.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:30 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Zero Stat?

https://us.vwr.com/store/product/123...scopy-sciences

Old 02-02-2022, 06:30 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
It won't solve the problem throughout your home, but if you are having issues with getting static shocks when you touch things, you may want to consider using a small metal item to discharge the static. I always carry either a metal key, or a piece of soldering wire in my pocket during winter. If I have to touch something metal, I touch it first with the key or the wire to discharge the static before I touch it with my hand.
Do you have pets that cringe when you approach in winter?

Old 02-02-2022, 07:58 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
I use the aluminum foil balls in the dryer. They reduce static very well, except when I am drying acrylic sweaters. Nothing helps acrylic.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
OP, the simplest thing is increased humidity so if you can't install a humidifier in your house then grow lots of houseplants all over inside your house, it will help raise humidity and eliminate static.

Also there are stones that can help eliminate static discharge from zapping you - you can either wear them (advisable) or else place them in locations everywhere throughout your house where you have a lot of electrical appliances that generate more heat and static in the winter. There are many kinds that work but the most effective stones for this are iron pyrite, chalcopyrite, hematite, quartz and tourmaline. I found that iron pyrite and/or quartz works the very best for me to wear during crisp, dry winter weather so I don't get shocks.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:00 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
A friend of mine moved in to a new office for his business, and he specified the carpet, the furniture etc. all brand new.

Later, walking through the new office, I touched a doorknob and got the biggest static-electricity ZAP I'd ever gotten. You could see the spark jump from my finger to the knob, and it hurt.

Kept happening. That new carpeting was the most static-producing stuff I'd ever seen. And I was almost afraid to open a door, touch a window crank, you name it. It was NOT an enjoyable place to be.

After a few days of that, I finally found the solution: Take a coin out of your pocket (or any metal object). Reach out and touch it to the doorknob. You'll hear the CRACK, see the spark jump as big as it always did... AND IT DIDN'T HURT A BIT. The spark jumped from the metal object (a quarter) to the doorknob, not from my finger to the doorknob. And that made all the difference.

I know, the electricity was still flowing through my hand, to the quarter, and then into a big spark to the doorknob. I don't know WHY the ZAP felt so tiny it wasn't there any more. BUT IT DID.

Works for a coin, a metal ballpoint pen, a fingernail clipper, or whatever metal thing you've got on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House