Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 11:27 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
The dish soap/detergent trick is a big, big help.
That's worked for me.

I was thinking I'd need to call a plumber and I looked around online; someone recommended very warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid, which I poured into the bowl after the water level lowered quite a bit. Got the water very warm (but not super hot) added a fair amount of Dawn, and let it set. I think I had to do it more than once, but it did work.

That method has bailed me out a couple of times. I don't usually have an issue with clogs but there was a while there (years ago) where I bought Charmin ultra-strong and the clogs started after that. Then I heard a plumber say that he got more business from people who used the ultra-strong version, so I switched back to the ultra-soft brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 02:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I will avoid using a plunger by pouring about a half gallon of bleach in the toilet and letting it sit a few hours or overnight (it usually just flushes itself at some point)... I personally think it clears out the pipes a bit by breaking down paper material in the pipes. If I do not have a clog I usually do this about once a month (or so)...
I don't know what type of system the OP has but I thought it was a bad idea to put bleach in a private septic system? I was told it kills the bacteria that is needed to break down what is flushed. Did I hear wrong?

Old 02-08-2022, 02:15 PM

7,569 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Get a 5 gallon bucket, while you're there. Nothing flushes like a full 5 gallons dumped quickly. (Except maybe 10 gallons!)

You're making me question my bleach trick. It might just be the weight and volume of the liquid.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:51 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I was told it kills the bacteria that is needed to break down what is flushed. Did I hear wrong?
No. Bleach and septic bugs don't play well together. You need to be careful how much or how often. There are safer things than bleach. Take care of the bugs and they'll take care of you. I've only had to deal with stubborn plugs a couple of times but what worked was to let a bowl full of hot water sit, maybe with some vinegar and baking soda. Plunge a couple of times to get things started. Follow up with a multiple gallon bucket of water dumped quickly from as high as possible. I have had numerous power failures that disabled my well pumps. Bucket flushing a toilet can work very well.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:03 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Mechanical removal trumps all.

Closet auger will get a couple feet down. If the clog's in the S bend of the terlit itself, that'll break it up.

Next step is a small snake down the toilet, say 6 feet or so.

If the clog's further down than that, get yourself a 50 foot snake and use the cleanout in the yard, first back toward the house, and then out toward the main. (You do have a double cleanout, don't you? If not, get out the spades and shovels and get at it!)

Old 02-08-2022, 07:40 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
The dish soap/detergent trick is a big, big help.
Absolutely! Be sure to just use the hottest water out of the tap, do not use boiling water. You might have to repeat the process, but it always works for me.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:12 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post
I was thinking I'd need to call a plumber and I looked around online; someone recommended very warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid, which I poured into the bowl after the water level lowered quite a bit. Got the water very warm (but not super hot) added a fair amount of Dawn, and let it set. I think I had to do it more than once, but it did work.

That method has bailed me out a couple of times. I don't usually have an issue with clogs but there was a while there (years ago) where I bought Charmin ultra-strong and the clogs started after that. Then I heard a plumber say that he got more business from people who used the ultra-strong version, so I switched back to the ultra-soft brand.
Does the Dawn/hot water trick also work on a kitchen sick? I have a disposal in the sink but it doesn't work. I don't use the garbage disposal but small pieces of food do get down as careful as I ca be....but the water drains slowly.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:18 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs123 View Post

Does the Dawn/hot water trick also work on a kitchen sick? I have a disposal in the sink but it doesn't work. I don't use the garbage disposal but small pieces of food do get down as careful as I ca be....but the water drains slowly.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:39 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Generally, no.

The trap in a sink can become clogged with food and grease. Removing the trap and cleaning it is a good way of resolving that. Hot water just migrates grease further down the drain. Caustic cleaners dissolve the grease and crud with varying degrees of effectiveness.

There are small circular screens designed to sit in the mouth of a sink drain or disposal drain. They are available for about a buck at Dollartree or kitchen goods aisles. I use them all the time and dump what they collect into the wet garbage.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:35 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Try a snake. It will work to at least loosen up the plug. Then try:

I can't advertise the product but I can give you a pseudonym; "One Second" Plumber.

Comes in a can. It shoots a high pressure blast of air into the drain of the bowl. Works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House