Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 06:26 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,005,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Does the Dawn/hot water trick also work on a kitchen sick? I have a disposal in the sink but it doesn't work. I don't use the garbage disposal but small pieces of food do get down as careful as I ca be....but the water drains slowly.

I try not to put very much through the disposal. But, I bought a commercial-type disposal (highest rated -- I don't recall the name) and that solved all my previous problems. No longer a problem at all. My plumber confirmed it's best not to put food through the pipes. But, like you said, there's a certain amount you can't avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 06:40 AM

22,564 posts, read 24,353,783 times
It may be a fatberg/greaseberg.......very hot water might do the trick.

Old 02-09-2022, 07:05 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,050,912 times
I have used baking soda and distilled vinegar . Pour vinegar in I pour half a jug then add a box of baking soda. Let it sit within a few hours it will flush.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:31 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,403,297 times
They make air powered plungers, you manually pump the plunger handle and release, the stored air powers the clog out of your drain. They work pretty good.

Old 02-09-2022, 09:20 AM

10,134 posts, read 6,553,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I try not to put very much through the disposal. But, I bought a commercial-type disposal (highest rated -- I don't recall the name) and that solved all my previous problems. No longer a problem at all. My plumber confirmed it's best not to put food through the pipes. But, like you said, there's a certain amount you can't avoid.
Let me help you here.

I'm 100% sure the brand was "ACME."

Old 02-09-2022, 10:21 AM

5,565 posts, read 2,999,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Oh - THIS reminds me of a memory...

Many years back, when I was fairly new to living on my own....

I was at a 24 hour grocery at 4 am buying a MOP and a PLUNGER

A VERY cheerful cashier chirped "GOOD MORNING HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS MORNING?"

I said "I'm buying a MOP and a PLUNGER at 4 AM" "HOW DO YOU THINK I'M DOING????? "

Have a nice day, Robert!

Reminds me of the time I was at a gas station on Thanksgiving morning buying a box of tampons, and a piece of chocolate because everything else was closed. LOL

The cashier was an older man, and as he was ringing me up, I looked at him and said "I guess you can tell how my morning is going so far."

He just chuckled and said "Hey, it's nature."

Old 02-09-2022, 10:22 AM

13,247 posts, read 7,667,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diana holbrook View Post
oh - this reminds me of a memory...

many years back, when i was fairly new to living on my own....

I was at a 24 hour grocery at 4 am buying a mop and a plunger

a very cheerful cashier chirped "good morning how are you doing this morning?"

i said "i'm buying a mop and a plunger at 4 am" "how do you think i'm doing????? "

:d

have a nice day, robert!

lol!!!!!

Old 02-09-2022, 10:33 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,266,077 times
The $14 Husky toilet auger did the trick. Worked like a charm!

One thing to note: The rotating wire can make small scratches on the white porcelain surface. One should try to stick the wire part into the pipe without touching the sides, until the plastic guard is in the pipe as well. It can be tricky (might have to get a hand in the water); but the next time I will try that.

Old 02-09-2022, 09:50 PM

23,510 posts, read 69,890,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
The $14 Husky toilet auger did the trick. Worked like a charm!

One thing to note: The rotating wire can make small scratches on the white porcelain surface. One should try to stick the wire part into the pipe without touching the sides, until the plastic guard is in the pipe as well. It can be tricky (might have to get a hand in the water); but the next time I will try that.
"Yep. A trick that sometimes works is to squirt a couple ounces of dishwashing liquid followed by a bucket of hot water, but the closet auger is more reliable. Don't waste time cranking it though, push and pull the head in and out once you have the sleeve in far enough you won't scrape the visible porcelain in the throat of the toilet."

Hmmmm...

Try cleaning out the bowl of the toilet normally, then using a magic eraser on the "scratches" - which are more likely deposits of metal.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:31 PM

5,100 posts, read 6,009,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Get a 5 gallon bucket, while you're there. Nothing flushes like a full 5 gallons dumped quickly. (Except maybe 10 gallons!)

That is fine as long as you don't pour enough in to overflow onto the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House