Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 10:35 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,182,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
2ton for 950sqft, it is the proper size.
i cannot verify wall insulation.
Good advice to check if the cold air blows from the vents.
Could it be that the refrigerant is leaking in your HVAC equipment?

Such a small sq footage with 2 tons of cooling in moderate for Fl outside temperatures right now - it should get freezing in the house even with some deficiencies in insulation, etc.

Look for YT videos explaining how to find a refrigerant leak in the HVAC equipment - maybe you have one?

https://www.easyac.net/air-condition...ac-system.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 11:34 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
What temperature can you cool a house down to?
In hot weather, especially warmer states like Florida, Texas, Arizona...
Let's say an older (1960's - 1970's) cheaper working class house?

I bought an investment property, in a cheaper neighborhood, built in 1979. Replaced the AC system 2 months ago, inside and outside units, all pipes. Also got additional 10" blow in insulation in the attic. The tenant is trying to get it down to 72F, but its only getting down to 78F, now in February although it was a little warm around 82F outside and sunny.
Tell the tenant to close the windows.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:37 AM

10,289 posts, read 6,808,499 times
Quote:
Depends on how much $$$$ you want to throw at it.

$50,000.....I can get your house down to 65F (regardless where it is.)

$150,000...I can get it to about 35F

$2 mil........I can get it to -80F

Colder than -80F starts costing some real money...

All depends on how much you wanna spend, or how cold you want it...

Old 02-20-2022, 01:50 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
In hot weather, especially warmer states like Florida, Texas, Arizona...
Let's say an older (1960's - 1970's) cheaper working class house?

I bought an investment property, in a cheaper neighborhood, built in 1979. Replaced the AC system 2 months ago, inside and outside units, all pipes. Also got additional 10" blow in insulation in the attic. The tenant is trying to get it down to 72F, but its only getting down to 78F, now in February although it was a little warm around 82F outside and sunny.
1930s house here. If I wanted, could probably go down to the 60s. But I keep it at 75 during the summer in south texas.

There is something wrong going on there.

Old 02-20-2022, 03:02 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
The OP has never said that the tenant is uncomfortable or displeased with the temperature in the house; the entire premise of the posting here is based on his monitoring of the thermostat setting and ambient temperature he sees when he checks the thermostat app on his phone. He, and we, have no knowledge of the temperature desires of the people who make it their home and what they do to attain it, they might like the windows open and fans blowing. The easy solution is to quit monitoring what others do in the privacy of their own home.

Old 02-20-2022, 04:44 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,557,249 times
I say it's windows. Pouring in heat. Cold air is cold air. It does not go up, it goes down. Insulating top makes no difference. But, if you have underperforming AC, as that's what it sound slike, heat sources, like windows, become major player. Get outside window shades, you'll see difference. We had 120F last summer here for about a week, I had bed sheets hung on our windows. That surely changed heat distribution. If your windows face east>west, you get heat in the am and more of it in the pm.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LYW5MCL...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Old 02-20-2022, 05:57 PM

408 posts, read 259,419 times
When you buy a new house, the house and air conditioner is warrantied to cool down to something like 30 degrees below the outside temperature. Sure, house insulation and windows play a part, but something is wrong with your AC. Probably low Freon. Check the air temp at the air duct.

And yes, I know that this is not a new house but it is important to realize that ambient air temp is important in determining how cool the inside of the house can get. New or old.

Old 02-20-2022, 07:59 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,321 times
Air leaks in gaps and outlets would probably be less of a heating effect than 2-3 fully opened windows, I would presume.
Has anyone been able to cool a house down to 72F in the summer with opened windows? Is it even possible on realistic working class suburban houses? (Im not talking about a fortress with $2M AC)

If my AC is bad, then probably they installed it wrong, so the refrigerant leaked in its 2mo lifetime. It is not old, its not that it leaked out in 10 years or something. In my old house I sold few years ago I had this issue, they refilled, fixed a leak then it was able to cool my house, but it was a 10yo ac. This one is 2mo old.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:29 PM

5,954 posts, read 3,703,412 times
Who is paying the electric bill at that house? If you're paying it, then the problem is likely the fault of the tenants who don't give a d@mn. If the tenants are paying the bill, then they're either extremely ignorant or else there is a real problem of some kind. Unless or until you have sole access to the house and know for sure how the AC is being used, then all you can do is guess. If you're paying the electric bill, then it's time to kick the tenants out because they are squandering YOUR money.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:17 AM

984 posts, read 441,402 times
Quote:
Air leaks in gaps and outlets would probably be less of a heating effect than 2-3 fully opened windows, I would presume.
Has anyone been able to cool a house down to 72F in the summer with opened windows? Is it even possible on realistic working class suburban houses? (Im not talking about a fortress with $2M AC)

If my AC is bad, then probably they installed it wrong, so the refrigerant leaked in its 2mo lifetime. It is not old, its not that it leaked out in 10 years or something. In my old house I sold few years ago I had this issue, they refilled, fixed a leak then it was able to cool my house, but it was a 10yo ac. This one is 2mo old.
I wouldn't think this would be possible. Why would anyone even try? I open my windows for a few hours in the early morning to let fresh air in, but not with the AC running... once it gets to be about 74 in the house, I shut everything (ac is normally set to 76 during the day). And I don't do that in the summer when it's sweltering and humid even at 7 am.

It's common sense to close windows if the AC is on. You might want to put that in your list of AirBnB rules. You'd think it wouldn't need to be said, but people are stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House