Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 12:49 PM

10,153 posts, read 6,602,520 times

Advertisements

2 month old A/C failing?

It ain't the house, it's the HVAC system that needs looking into.

As SharonMB said above, if there are windows open, then you'll have to "A/C the whole region" for it to have any effect, and that's too stupid to attempt. Except for AirBnB customers. They are THAT stupid. Or, they know it won't work and don't care. And that's probably worse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 03:16 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,766,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
2 month old A/C failing?

It ain't the house, it's the HVAC system that needs looking into.

As SharonMB said above, if there are windows open, then you'll have to "A/C the whole region" for it to have any effect, and that's too stupid to attempt. Except for AirBnB customers. They are THAT stupid. Or, they know it won't work and don't care. And that's probably worse...
What's also stupid is basing a reply on the assumption that the tenants in a rental are AirBnB customers just because someone else made that assumption.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:52 PM

13,639 posts, read 12,279,035 times
I have a 60's era house in North Carolina. One floor, 1300 sf, combination AC/Furnace unit. I have no trouble getting it down to 68 if I want to in the dead of summer. I don't, since it would cost me a fortune, but I can.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:00 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,200,169 times
Beyond temperature, it would be helpful to state the relative humidity both inside and outside the dwelling. Another issue could be heat sources such as a lot of southern exposure. Windows and non-venting skylights on the south-southwest side can create a "greenhouse effect" which can be ameliorated by window covers/shades or tint. Perhaps they do a lot of cooking, use the oven, run a lot of electronics (TVs, computers, servers, etc). Chances are that there's something wrong with the HVAC system like a kinked return duct, imbalanced coil size, or refrigerant level/pressure. Hopefully it's something as simple as a window being left open or a bathroom/kitchen vent being left on.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:56 PM

11,067 posts, read 10,627,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
The thermostat is in the livingroom.
I know the temperature in the rental house when i look at my honeywell app on my phone.
Actually today the outside temp dropped a lot, 67 outside and 70F inside, with ac set to 72F. The AC couldn't cool it to 70F when it is set to 72F. I think they must be keeping the windows open while running AC. Its just an assumption.
Today I ordered a thermal camera for $220 that can be attached to a phone, it should show hot and cold spots. That should help with finding what to seal. Next time the tenant moves out in 2 weeks, its short term airbnb.
The attic insulation was 3", I paid for additional 10", that is a R36, I should be okay with that.

Which kind of contractor does the sealing? Is it the AC repair, the insulation company, general contractor, handyman...? Or should i do it myself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What's also stupid is basing a reply on the assumption that the tenants in a rental are AirBnB customers just because someone else made that assumption.
Nobody made an assumption, the OP stated that it is an AirBnB rental.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Nobody made an assumption, the OP stated that it is an AirBnB rental.
Your failure to comprehend what the OP has written does not change the facts of the case. The OP has a rental property with a tenant; he does not have an AirBnB, even if he may plan to have one two weeks from now..

Old 02-21-2022, 10:51 PM

11,067 posts, read 10,627,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Your failure to comprehend what the OP has written does not change the facts of the case. The OP has a rental property with a tenant; he does not have an AirBnB, even if he may plan to have one two weeks from now..
Huh, rereading what I bolded I can see the ambiguity in that sentence. I’m not sure if it’s already an AirBnB or if the OP has gotten tired of long term tenants. Carry on.

For the record if the windows are closed and your A/C is unable to cool the house by 10 degrees you have an A/C problem. Or a gigantic hole in the structure somewhere. The problem could be anything from an occluded filter to something more serious, but that’s an A/C problem. It doesn’t matter how new it is. New appliances break. That’s why they have warranties. If the person who installed the A/C is legitimate, they should be willing to check it out under the warranty. Check (or have the tenants check) the filter first though. That was a common issue on A/C service calls back when I repaired appliances.

Last edited by JimRom; 02-21-2022 at 11:01 PM..

Old 02-21-2022, 11:06 PM

6,662 posts, read 4,951,683 times
Something is seriously wrong if the outside temp is 82 and the indoors cannot be cooled below 78. Such abysmal performance cannot be explained by poor insulation or air gaps. Here in Phoenix our a/c will keep the house at 78 even when it’s 118 outside, a 40 degree difference.

If this is a brand new system it should be covered under a warranty, yes? Time to call the installer and have them diagnose and fix the problem.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Huh, rereading what I bolded I can see the ambiguity in that sentence. I’m not sure if it’s already an AirBnB or if the OP has gotten tired of long term tenants. Carry on.

For the record if the windows are closed and your A/C is unable to cool the house by 10 degrees you have an A/C problem. Or a gigantic hole in the structure somewhere. The problem could be anything from an occluded filter to something more serious, but that’s an A/C problem. It doesn’t matter how new it is. New appliances break. That’s why they have warranties. If the person who installed the A/C is legitimate, they should be willing to check it out under the warranty. Check (or have the tenants check) the filter first though. That was a common issue on A/C service calls back when I repaired appliances.
There's something a bit creepy about the OP monitoring the thermostat settings and temperature in someone else's home without their knowledge. If he believes there may be a problem with a recently installed air conditioning system there are far better ways to determine if that is, in fact, the case. As stated earlier, he apparently does not know anything about the habits of the occupants regarding opening windows or fan use. It would seem to be the first thing he should look into before calling for service.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:19 AM

24,004 posts, read 10,358,940 times
And when did you contact the contractor to check his installation out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House