Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times

Advertisements

Our house backs up to the main street running through our development. The noise from the construction trucks could be a big headache at 2 a.m. We put in a koi pond with a very loud waterfall and that helps buffer some of the rumble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:55 AM

11 posts, read 136,275 times
My recommendation is to go over there and break the damn thing with a baseball bat.

A used baseball bat $20 bucks,
A face mask, 5 bucks,
A peaceful night of sleep: priceless.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 AM

62 posts, read 410,341 times
Hi, we have the same problem. Our neighbors air conditioner is 17 feet from our bedroom window- (2 feet off THEIR property line and our house setback is 15 feet from the property line) I had forgotten how LOUD their unit is until this week when they turned it back on. Now this thing will stay on until October or November this year. I just phoned our Zoning office to ask about setback requirements for air conditioners. Wow -was I surprised to learn that there is a new code requiring all new or replacement air conditioners to be at least 6 feet off the homeowners property line. So variance or not- once their air conditioner needs replacing they have to set it back six feet! So now all we have to do is wait for their air conditioner to kick the bucket! Well, its better than nothing- I'm glad I called. Maybe in the meantime I can ask the neighbor to install some panels around it? I just suggest to anyone with this problem, check with your zoning office- they may have new zoning requirements. There may be hope after all!

KC
<New Jersey>

Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacor77 View Post
I just phoned our Zoning office to ask about setback requirements for air conditioners. Wow -was I surprised to learn that there is a new code requiring all new or replacement air conditioners to be at least 6 feet off the homeowners property line. So variance or not- once their air conditioner needs replacing they have to set it back six feet
Wow. What a burden on the homeowners that must be; glad I don't live where you do. I'd hate to think of the expense in relocating the outdoor unit.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
I'm sorry but I have to agree with Whitstar..I told you guys I'm evil

Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
I will never understand people who buy a house 15 feet from the neighbor and then complain about the noise. If you live jammed up next to other people you're going to hear noise!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:27 AM

62 posts, read 410,341 times
<<I will never understand people who buy a house 15 feet from the neighbor and then complain about the noise. If you live jammed up next to other people you're going to hear noise!>>

yeah well we were here first! they were the ones who had a house squeezed in next to ours on a tiny little lot- So what once was a peaceful little *forest* next to our house (and we could actually keep our bedroom windows open in the summer) is now a building blocking out the sun and blasting us with air conditioner noise, or clanking dishes from their kitchen, or barking from their noisy dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House