Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 11:59 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

^^how can I move my above post to its own thread with its own title? (replacing overhang) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 02:12 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
^^how can I move my above post to its own thread with its own title? (replacing overhang) ?

Just copy/paste your last post to a new thread-
Then you can ask a mod to remove the post in this thread.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:00 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
There’s nothing “beginner” about building a deck “to code”- especially when most H/O’s don’t have the slightest idea what the codes are.
I think it would be safe to say that a lot of deck builders don't either.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Just copy/paste your last post to a new thread-
Then you can ask a mod to remove the post in this thread.
I can't seem to reload the pictures, which have to go with it. arrgghhh

Old 03-24-2022, 11:45 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
I just replied in your other thread in about the forum, wanted to add it here too. Hope it helps.

Quote:
I posted in the "house" forum.....post #10 with pictures of my overhang and titled "overhang."
I'm trying to move it to its own thread so people will see it. I can copy the text and create a new thread but I can't copy the pictures. Also, when I try to start a fresh thread, CD doesn't seem to want to allow me to reload the pictures (which I did once for post #10). Am I missing something obvious?

Click on the first picture to open it, right click, select open in new tab. There is your URL. It's easier if you would have uploaded them to your albums in your user control panel to reuse them.

Post #10

Photo one link

photo 2 link

photo 3 link

Directions for making photo albums here I just typed this out for someone new so will paste it here if you need it.

Go to your user control panel, left side see Pictures & Albums. Next, at the top you'll see Add Album, make a title like post stuff, make sure it is public so people can see the photos, hit submit.

Next Click here to upload pictures!, find the file(s) then upload. It will show you the album, click on the picture you want to post, you'll see the BB code. Paste it into where ever you're wanting to post it.

It gives you this -

Old 03-25-2022, 03:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Based on the pictures...
Tear it all out and start over from scratch.
Hire an actual carpenter.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:39 AM

Thank you Rose....!!!

Old 03-25-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Based on the pictures...
Tear it all out and start over from scratch.
Hire an actual carpenter.
We had some professionals over here yesterday and they suggested that we could dismantle the structure, remove and replace the posts and then reassemble it using most of the existing materials. None of the wood appears to be rotted. It's been covered. They would also replace that horizontal 'beam' at the bottom of the roof - over the posts - with something much more substantial. They also pointed out various construction issues that would be corrected on reassembly such as how the rafters were attached to the roof.

Do you think it's the bad idea to re-use materials?

Old 03-25-2022, 07:28 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
We had some professionals over here yesterday and they suggested that we could ...
personal pronoun issues aside...
the people who can actually DO <whatever> are rarely the ones who ask the sort of Q's you have.
Quote:
Do you think it's the bad idea to re-use materials?
Assuming you'll be hiring actually competent people to do the work for you...
then it's likely a bad idea to expect them to do all dismantle/clean/cull work
or to build using old used materials.
- - -

So... imagine all that dismantle/clean/cull work is all done ...
and you have a stack of the various materials ready to be used.

What would the value of it all be if new from the lumberyard?
And how much did it cost you to get to that point?

Old 03-25-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
personal pronoun issues aside...
the people who can actually DO <whatever> are rarely the ones who ask the sort of Q's you have.

Assuming you'll be hiring actually competent people to do the work for you...
then it's likely a bad idea to expect them to do all dismantle/clean/cull work
or to build using old used materials.
- - -

So... imagine all that dismantle/clean/cull work is all done ...
and you have a stack of the various materials ready to be used.

What would the value of it all be if new from the lumberyard?
And how much did it cost you to get to that point?
Pardon my incorrect pronoun usage. And point taken that the questions I posed clearly indicate that my husband and I do not have the skills needed for the overhang project. The prefab decking was another matter.

The construction people suggested re-using the materials. My husband and I will do the demo and stack/sort the materials for reassembly ourselves if we proceed.

When I priced out new materials last fall (using a 'formula' a good friend who is a professional landscape architect suggested - which includes estimating unexpected expenses and costs for incidentals and labor), it was just about $10K.
We will get two estimates - one for reusing existing materials and one for new materials. I intended to repeat that price out process before I get 'their' estimates.

Thanks for your feedback. It is appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House