Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 08:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
In terms of door security, the intruders I worry most about around here are bears. Bears don't carry wallets...but IDing one is pretty straightforward!

The Scenario: 12am at the end of a very warm summer day. Left the porch slider open and dozed off on the couch. A commotion woke me up. Next thing I know, face to face with a black bear momma and 2 cubs with nothing but the shredded remains of the screen between us.
Omg.. What happened??!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 09:45 PM

59 posts, read 46,831 times
Default Storm door heat

I can’t speak to trapping humidity, but I once had a black painted door with an all glass storm door in north Texas. Had a cheap door wreath and the air between got so hot it melted the glue on the wreath & I had pieces falling off. I do like a storm door, both for security & ventilation, but it can protect your nice wood door from heat & hail

Old 03-26-2022, 06:44 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALA2009 View Post
I can’t speak to trapping humidity, but I once had a black painted door with an all glass storm door in north Texas. Had a cheap door wreath and the air between got so hot it melted the glue on the wreath & I had pieces falling off. I do like a storm door, both for security & ventilation, but it can protect your nice wood door from heat & hail
I think that your example proves otherwise. Rather than protecting the door from heat, the glass storm door "trapped and magnified" the heat which caused the glue on the wreath to melt.

We've had the same thing happen to a wreath on our front door. Now I make sure to leave the top glass down slightly so that the super heated air can escape. Our front door faces east so it gets the direct sunlight in the morning hours from daybreak to about 10 AM. It would be even worse if we didn't have an overhang that blocks the direct sunlight after about 10 AM.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:29 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Omg.. What happened??!!
Everyone stared at each other for a few seconds. The cubs bolted across the deck, squeezed themselves through gaps in the deck railing, tumbled onto the grass below, and headed for the treeline. Mom reared up on her hind legs and popped her jaw, but after thinking things over for a moment, thankfully followed the cubs. Unfortunately, she couldn't squeeze between the same deck railings and took a couple along with her. I suspect every heart involved kept pounding for a while. I know I wasn't remotely sleepy any longer.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:19 AM

337 posts, read 448,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I think that your example proves otherwise. Rather than protecting the door from heat, the glass storm door "trapped and magnified" the heat which caused the glue on the wreath to melt.

We've had the same thing happen to a wreath on our front door. Now I make sure to leave the top glass down slightly so that the super heated air can escape. Our front door faces east so it gets the direct sunlight in the morning hours from daybreak to about 10 AM. It would be even worse if we didn't have an overhang that blocks the direct sunlight after about 10 AM.
This happened to me when I had a full top to bottom glass storm door installed. My front door is black as well. After the sun went down, I could hear a lot of popping with the door "cooling off". I ended up getting the storm door tinted and that significantly reduced the noises. I did not use one of those off the shelf do-it-yourself kits but hired a business to come install. It did help significantly, but I am pondering painting my door a light neutral color to further reduce heat.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:12 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALA2009 View Post
This happened to us once! Years ago, fake christmas wreath - it actually curled the ends of the fake needles. Our house at the time faced straight south and even in the cold months it was crazy how much heat gets trapped in between the two doors!

Old 03-28-2022, 03:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Look for a storm door by Fox Aluminum Products. They are welded instead of screwed together (makes a huge difference in longevity). Good quality all around. Hard to find them though. They have a limited number of distributors.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:45 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I think they spoil the look of a front door, but we have a screen door for two reasons...to keep the dog from escaping and to get a breeze on nice days.

We do not have inclement weather here.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think they spoil the look of a front door, but we have a screen door for two reasons...to keep the dog from escaping and to get a breeze on nice days.

We do not have inclement weather here.
I would like a screen door for my back patio - not the front door though.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In addition to what's already been mentioned there's an esthetic reason. a storm door makes most houses look "finished".
They are very, very uncommon around here in NE Texas. Houses look "finished" to me without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House