Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2022, 06:27 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

We painted cabinets using white interior semi gloss paint. They came out nice. I left the cabinet doors open for over a week so everything would fully dry. Weeks later some of the doors stuck to the cabinet. Each spot is maybe 1/8th inch. I'll touch those areas up but is there a different type of paint or even some white non paint to cover these areas to eliminate sticking. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinet paint-imgp1476.jpgfdsa.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 11:37 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Bumper pads would help-
But, it’s all about the prep and the kind of paint. Interior semi-gloss paint (I’ll assume acrylic latex) is not the paint for cabinets. I can’t speak to the prep you did or didn’t do.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:52 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
We had ours painted about 6 years ago (flat white). The paint was S/Williams Emerald. The cabinets were dark stained cherry with a poly on them. Not the greatest job, but where the PREP was done right (basically properly sanded the poly off), it’s held up quite well.

I recently did some work on our kitchen island that was not painted 6 years ago with the others. I sanded the poly off, and used this new Home Depot Dynasty paint on those cabinets (to match a bookshelf I added to the island). I have to say, that Dynasty paint is pretty damn good stuff! Been using it in our bathrooms as we’ve been renovating too. It’s my new favorite. At $65 a gallon, it’s a lot cheaper than the S/Williams emerald at $130 a gallon. Sprays very well too.

Old 03-30-2022, 05:40 PM

91 posts, read 76,276 times

Old 03-30-2022, 10:57 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinWilliam View Post
A painting should take twice as long as preparation.
That might be true for “a painting”…
It’s the opposite for cabinets!

Old 04-03-2022, 12:10 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinWilliam View Post
. A painting should take twice as long as preparation.
Ah no. Not for cabinets. Definitely the opposite. Been there done that.

Old 04-03-2022, 12:12 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We painted cabinets using white interior semi gloss paint. They came out nice. I left the cabinet doors open for over a week so everything would fully dry. Weeks later some of the doors stuck to the cabinet. Each spot is maybe 1/8th inch. I'll touch those areas up but is there a different type of paint or even some white non paint to cover these areas to eliminate sticking. Thanks.
Should have used cabinet paint, it will have a much harder finish. Just paint over those spots and let them dry completely… And I would definitely advise bumper pads.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:26 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,189 times
Ugh, I had this problem even with interior doors. The door is butted right up to the doorstop trim, not even an 1/8” gap, and I painted with eggshell latex (Benjamin Moore) and even now, 5 years later, the door sticks, and the paint at the sticking point got ripped off immediately.

I painted my cabinets with Benjamin Moore Advance primer and paint. It is very hard and durable. I used felt bumpers just to be sure that rubber/silicone bumpers would not somehow stick, but I don’t think that was necessary. (Bumpers in general were necessary, though, for sound-deadening and to soften impact.) I’ve been very impressed by this paint (but prep is extremely important.) I was actually thinking about posting a thread about a couple aspects of the project.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:29 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
We had used a few felt bumpers on 3-4 doors. They were brown and these doors had not been opened in a few months and months and months after the painting. Some of the felt was on the cabinet and most of it rather dusted off with some help but left some minor residue. So we do a repaint using preparation and a paint suggested here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House