Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 08:07 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, I'm going to go with what my great-grandmother, grandmother and mother did. Lodge has to make things real simple and safe for the ordinary knucklehead. There's certainly no HARM in oiling an iron pan before you put it up. But it's not necessary.
So following your logic... Lodge who makes cast iron pans is making things real simple and safe for the ordinary knucklehead by adding an extra step for them to complete? That doesn't make sense, usually to make things simple you make for as few steps as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Consider that we live in a world where people think they can put a cast iron pan in the dishwasher, then consider the task of the marketeer working at Lodge who's trying to help customers have a positive experience.
So instead of them simply saying to not put it in a dishwasher, they instead conspire with other makes of cast iron and all these cooking guides to put an artificial step that isn't really needed.

I get that there could be other factors (like humidity) but it sure seems like you're taking some pretty ridiculous leaps of logic here to rationalize the manufacturer's recommended care instructions not aligning with your worldview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 10:19 AM

16,068 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Lodge pans says right here: https://www.lodgecastiron.com/discov...lean-cast-iron

Victoria says https://victoriacookware.com/use-car...0and%20settled.

I'm sure opinion run all over the board here but it isn't like applying oil is some weirdo thing, it is recommended by makers of cast iron cookware. Do you think they conspired to create an extra step to make their product sound more difficult to care for just for giggles?
I think the takeaway is what to do if you manage to get a sticky mess that has to be scrubbed, because that will affect the coating you develop, you CAN scrub that coating off.
I suppose if you have to boil/simmer water in the pan because of some stuck on mess, then sure oil away after, but I don't know what to tell you when hands on experience says that after typical use there isn't a need to oil the pan. I cannot remember the last time I had to season my large cast iron skillet, maybe two years ago? My dad had cast iron that he rarely seasoned and after twenty years of use that baby had a surface that was mirror smooth and slick.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:30 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think the takeaway is what to do if you manage to get a sticky mess that has to be scrubbed, because that will affect the coating you develop, you CAN scrub that coating off.
I don't think so, both list oiling as the last step in a normal cast iron cleaning process, nowhere does it say applying oil at the end is only for a very sticky mess that required scrubbing. Clearly this oiling the pan after every use isn't some corner-case notion that the young whippersnappers foolishly adhere to, every kitchen resource I found says the same thing. I'm not saying it's right or wrong (hell if I know) but:

Cooks Illustrated: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/art...-cast-iron-pan
Quote:
2. LIGHTLY OIL AFTER EACH CLEANING
Dry skillet thoroughly (do not drip-dry), then heat over medium-low heat until all traces of moisture have evaporated. Add 1/2 teaspoon oil to pan and use paper towels to lightly coat interior surface with oil. Continue to wipe surface with oiled paper towels until it looks dark and smooth and no oil residue remains. Let pan cool completely.
Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-c...illet-cookware
Quote:
The last step is to prime the pan for its next use by laying down one bonus layer of protective seasoning before putting it away. To do that, just rub the pan very lightly all over with an unsaturated cooking fat, like canola, vegetable, or corn oil, making sure to buff away any visible greasiness so that the cast iron almost doesn't look like you've oiled it at all.
Food and Wine: https://www.foodandwine.com/cooking-...t-iron-skillet
Quote:
Third, coat the pan in a little bit of neutral oil. You don’t need much here, just a light coating. Again, I’d splash a little onto a paper towel and rub it in, or you can use a seasoning spray.
Field Company: https://fieldcompany.com/pages/how-t...on-pan-skillet
Quote:
4. Using a cloth or paper towel, apply a dab (about ¼ teaspoon) of Field Company Seasoning Oil and rub on all surfaces, inside and out. 5. Wipe away excess oil to leave a dry, matte finish. 6. Repeat every time you cook.
Southern Living: https://bit.ly/3lehf0F
Quote:
Daily Upkeep
Gently clean your skillet after each use with water and very little soap, if necessary. Use the firm scrubbing side of a two sided sponge rather than an abrasive metal scrub. After you finish washing and rinsing the cast-iron, dry it thoroughly with a towel and return it to a warm oven for 10 minutes. Remove it from the oven and, using a paper towel, coat the entire surface with a very thin layer of neutral oil like canola or grapeseed. You want to add the oil to the cast iron while it's still hot so the oil undergoes the chemical reaction to become a polymer that protects the surface. Store in a dry place.

Old 05-14-2022, 12:21 PM

16,068 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
I don't think so, both list oiling as the last step in a normal cast iron cleaning process, nowhere does it say applying oil at the end is only for a very sticky mess that required scrubbing. Clearly this oiling the pan after every use isn't some corner-case notion that the young whippersnappers foolishly adhere to, every kitchen resource I found says the same thing. I'm not saying it's right or wrong (hell if I know) ....snip
this is from the Lodge website

"Cookware
There are two ways to maintain the seasoning on your cast iron skillet. The easiest way is to cook with it. Every time you cook with oil, you're potentially adding another layer to the seasoning.

Some activities may remove a bit of seasoning, such as cooking acidic foods, using excessive heat, or scrubbing with abrasive utensils or scouring pads. That's why our simple cleaning steps have you rub oil into your pan after each use to ensure the seasoning remains for quality cooking."

In other words if you aren't doing anything to remove the seasoning, and you are cooking with it using any kind of oil (including frying fatty foods) you do not need to season after every use.

Old 05-14-2022, 12:34 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,290 times
Default Granitestone Brand

[quote=derek700;63360902]So i use nonstick pans for a long time and had no idea these may be toxic? The last pan i bought was one of those cheap nonstick pans i saw. etc

I tried them all, best so far is Granitestone. Expensive but worth it.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:00 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Lodge pans says right here: https://www.lodgecastiron.com/discov...lean-cast-iron

Victoria says https://victoriacookware.com/use-car...0and%20settled.

I'm sure opinion run all over the board here but it isn't like applying oil is some weirdo thing, it is recommended by makers of cast iron cookware. Do you think they conspired to create an extra step to make their product sound more difficult to care for just for giggles?
No. They state to do it every time because if they did not, dumb-ass people would NEVER apply it at all. That is why.

I have had cast iron for many many years. I have never ever had to do a re-seasoning on any of them. My pans are darn near a mirror finish. I know how to take care of them.

FWIW, I hate the Lodge pans of today. They do a sand-mold finish that make it harder to cook non-stick, and to clean. Also they are heavy as hell. My pans are quite old - much thinner than today's pans, and very smooth. That said, plenty of people use them and find them to be perfectly satisfactory.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-15-2022 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-15-2022, 12:07 PM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No. They state to do it every time because if they did not, dumb-ass people would NEVER apply it at all. That is why.

I have had cast iron for many many years. I have never ever had to do a re-seasoning on any of them. My pans are darn near a mirror finish. I know how to take care of them.

FWIW, I hate the Lodge pans of today. They do a sand-mold finish that make it harder to cook non-stick, and to clean. Also they are heavy as hell. My pans are quite old - much thinner than today's pans, and very smooth. That said, plenty of people use them and find them to be perfectly satisfactory.
Exactly correct.

Cast iron pans used to be machined insde for a smooth surface before selling; cheap ones of today aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House