Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 10:12 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

The cremains of the previous owner were in the garden of our house. I talked to the neighbor, he said the guy had no relatives and loved the area, and would want the ashes sprinkled around, not just buried.

Eventually, I got around to that, sprinkling ashes here and there. When done, I happened to look at the label on the bag; it had the name of a woman. Someone mixed up the ashes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 10:51 PM

2,180 posts, read 2,318,692 times
I would not take that on at all! Does your friend want the house? What did he/she think? If I wanted the house, I'd leave it to the previous tenant, owner, or police need to handle. Yikes! LOL

Old 05-27-2022, 11:44 PM

7,092 posts, read 4,526,537 times
My friends bought a house with remains and they didn’t belong to the previous owner. They were stolen in a robbery with a bunch of other stuff. She was going to disperse them in the woods. We stopped her and tracked down the funeral home who found her very grateful daughter.

Old 05-28-2022, 12:50 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
Why were you handling someone else’s things while visiting an open house?
Precisely!!!

Creeps me out that this person was so intrigued with the item that it just beckoned to be opened.

It could be the remains of a beloved pet. My dear pups were cremated .

Hey! It could be jimmy Hoffa's remains!!

Old 05-28-2022, 04:11 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
A friend asked me to look at a house that she was thinking of buying. It's a nice, 4 bedroom 2.5 bath colonial built in the 1950s or 60s.

We split up at a certain point, and I walked into an upstairs closet. It was nice, and spacious with well plenty of storage.

I noticed a cardboard box on the floor. The lid was open. It was about a foot high and six inches wide, I picked it up, out of curiosity. It was pretty heavy, or heavier than I expected. The cardboard lib had the name of a funeral home on it. I set it down and looked inside. There was a black plastic box with the name of a woman.

It became obvious that this was the remains of a woman, packed inside a budget urn. It looked like a small filing cabinet. It didn't look particularly old.

It was shocking on many levels. Who would leave a dead relative in the closet of a house that was empty and for sale? She does not belong to the seller, who never heard of her and told us to "get rid of it". His advice was to pour her remains in a lake.

We are doing no such thing. I feel sorry for this abandoned woman. I am fairly sure that it's illegal for anyone who is not a licensed mortician to dispose of human remains.

We don't recognize the funeral home. It must be out of town. I unsuccessfully tried to find an obituary of the woman.

What are your thoughts?
That is quite odd that the owner did not know of it. Is it possible that he did not spend much time in the house? Maybe bought it as a second residence or something? I find it unexplainable still that he didn't know of it. Sounds like he just said that because maybe he wasn't sure what to do with it either.

Yes, it is illegal to my knowledge to dispose of human remains, like on public property. However, if no one knows then they're not going to be able to do anything to you. I believe it was a funeral home director who told me you wouldn't believe how many people's ashes are poured out on golf courses even though it is illegal to do that.

If I liked the house, it wouldn't stop me from buying it.

Quote:
It was a rental property and he lives out of state.
Oh, that seems to explain it then. Like Chas said, I would think for sure it was one of the renter's relatives. I'm guessing the owner hired someone to clean it out and they're the ones who didn't know what to do with it (could possibly involve superstitions about disturbing the remains of the dead perhaps?).

I'd opt for, if your friend does end up buying it, to contact the police as some others have suggested.

Old 05-28-2022, 05:19 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I bet it's not that uncommon for people to wind up with the ashes of a relative they don't really have much of an attachment to. I nearly wound up with the ashes of someone who wasn't even related to me when the person who claimed them from the funeral home became homeless and left some things with me for storage. Uh, yeah, take those with you when you leave ok!

Old 05-28-2022, 05:51 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
Why were you handling someone else’s things while visiting an open house?

The listing realtor should bring the box to the mortuary listed on the box. Or give it to the police and let them take the box to the mortuary.

It's ashes, not the person. The soul is not in the ashes.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:01 AM

327 posts, read 132,745 times
Quote:
A friend asked me to look at a house that she was thinking of buying. It's a nice, 4 bedroom 2.5 bath colonial built in the 1950s or 60s. We split up at a certain point, and I walked into an upstairs closet. It was nice, and spacious with well plenty of storage. I noticed a cardboard box on the floor. The lid was open. It was about a foot high and six inches wide, I picked it up, out of curiosity. It was pretty heavy, or heavier than I expected. The cardboard lib had the name of a funeral home on it. I set it down and looked inside. There was a black plastic box with the name of a woman. It became obvious that this was the remains of a woman, packed inside a budget urn. It looked like a small filing cabinet. It didn't look particularly old. It was shocking on many levels. Who would leave a dead relative in the closet of a house that was empty and for sale? She does not belong to the seller, who never heard of her and told us to "get rid of it". His advice was to pour her remains in a lake. We are doing no such thing. I feel sorry for this abandoned woman. I am fairly sure that it's illegal for anyone who is not a licensed mortician to dispose of human remains. We don't recognize the funeral home. It must be out of town. I unsuccessfully tried to find an obituary of the woman. What are your thoughts?
Do whatever you want. They left the box behind on purpose.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:49 AM

7,092 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Do the right thing and not the easy one!! They may be important to someone. Contact the funeral home.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:39 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:

It was shocking on many levels. Who would leave a dead relative in the closet of a house that was empty and for sale? She does not belong to the seller, who never heard of her and told us to "get rid of it".

Wowzah, Sheena! I wouldn’t buy a house from that seller or through the realtor. Somebody is super lazy & not doing their job. All rentals & homes for sale are supposed to be thoroughly cleaned….especially when they are empty!^^ If your friend wants to buy the house, I wouldn’t sign @ closing with the body still there.

Why does the seller think it’s up to somebody else? AND who would be so inhuman & say “get rid of it”. IMO if the seller doesn’t care about ashes left in his home….he never cared about maintenance in the home. I would run from that house…as far & fast as I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House