Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 09:08 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

We use Roundup around the house and gas pipes since we moved into the house. We’ve since found a terracotta flower pot buried in the ground right next to the home. Light of sight, it’s roughly in line with the water meter. I wonder if a previous owner had a water cut off valve and used a flower pot to keep access to the valve? I have some at home vacation in a few weeks. Plan on using a gardening spade to dig the dirt out of the pot to see if there’s a valve. If I hit the bottom of the pot with no valve then I’ll pull out the pot and put the dirt back in to fill in the hole. If there is a valve then I’ll look into a replacement valve cover to replace the flower pot.

Do you think it may be a water cut off valve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 05:23 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
A residential water line cut-off/street valve box is always found near the street, in the right away at the edge of the property line. Is this where you uncovered the the flower pot?

If so, the original “valve box” could have sunk or been covered over and if so, you could buy a valve box at Lowes or Home Depot and install it over the valve stem.

The city or water company should be able to easily locate the street shut off valve that is usually located at the edge of the property line.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
A residential water line cut-off/street valve box is always found near the street, in the right away at the edge of the property line. Is this where you uncovered the the flower pot?

If so, the original “valve box” could have sunk or been covered over and if so, you could buy a valve box at Lowes or Home Depot and install it over the valve stem.

The city or water company should be able to easily locate the street shut off valve that is usually located at the edge of the property line.
The meter box is in the yard roughly 5 yards from the road and almost 10 yards from the house. I was told there may be a water shut off valve after the meter but never found it. I want to avoid digging up the yard and hiring a plumber. If I don’t find one here at the pot then we may just give up and use the meter box valve. I come from a mobile home in which I had two cut off valves installed after the meter, one for a quick emergency shut off and one just after the meter in case of a ruptured pipe before the emergency cut off. Getting the meter box tool to open the lid is difficult but shutting off the valve at the meter is easy. I have some DIY projects that require the water to be shut off to the whole home.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:16 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

I'm sorry to inform you that you are mistaken about the bolded quote. Our house here in Florida has a shut off valve just about one foot outside the front wall of the house. Another home I had in another state had the same situation.

This shutoff valve is about 20 feet from the meter at our home in Florida. In the other state, it was nearly 100 feet from the meter.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:18 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Could it be a buried drain cleanout?

Old 05-29-2022, 09:49 PM

700 posts, read 447,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Could it be a buried drain cleanout?
Or sprinkler valve.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Or sprinkler valve.
No sprinklers. This is south Louisiana.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:44 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I'm sorry to inform you that you are mistaken about the bolded quote. Our house here in Florida has a shut off valve just about one foot outside the front wall of the house. Another home I had in another state had the same situation.

This shutoff valve is about 20 feet from the meter at our home in Florida. In the other state, it was nearly 100 feet from the meter.
This is correct. I had one that we never could find and plumbers searched diligently. I had to have the house repiped so I marked my shut off valve up next to the house, very carefully, this time.

Old 05-30-2022, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
This is correct. I had one that we never could find and plumbers searched diligently. I had to have the house repiped so I marked my shut off valve up next to the house, very carefully, this time.
I’m very hesitant to dig up my front yard myself because somewhere is a sewage, water, and natural gas pipe and I don’t want to risk damaging any of them since they were installed in 1973.

Old 05-30-2022, 05:12 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post

Okay, so the water companies valve could be closer to he meter in Florida, however in the six plus states I lived and or worked in the municipalities shut off valve was “usually” at the property line but there’s obviously “always” going to be an exception to that case..

So I should have used the word “usually” instead of “always” but thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Last edited by Rickcin; 05-30-2022 at 05:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House