Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 08:11 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
My electric range fizzled out, so I bought a single-burner hot plate for temporary use. The directions say the hot plate is to be used for boiling water only, not cooking. What would happened if I used it to fry an egg? Would my house go up in a puff of smoke?
do you have a grill? that works in a pinch, too. I've even used my teeny tiny camping 'stove.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 08:23 AM

4,532 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
do you have a grill? that works in a pinch, too. I've even used my teeny tiny camping 'stove.'
Only outside!

Old 05-31-2022, 03:37 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Does the hotplate have a well insulated, grounded, quality plug, is the metal housing
fairly heavy and well put together, is the base nice and stable????

I can tell a cheapy_shoddy hotplate..........many times the big giveaway is a 2-prong plug, as opposed to
3-prongs. If a company went to the extra time, effort and money to properly ground their hotplate, that means they put some decent effort in it.

It's a Farberware, dual-burner hot plate from Walmart. It looks like a well-made item. I'm guessing the warning is for liability purposes only, but I'm not 100% sure. My only gripe is that it won't set level atop my old range top.

Old 05-31-2022, 06:37 PM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Spend some more money and get an induction cooktop.
https://www.amazon.com/Duxtop-8100MC...dp/B0045QEPYM/
We bought this during our kitchen remodel
Excellent

I second that. The induction cooktops are great. But you have to have compatible cookware. Not everything works on it.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:07 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I have a dual induction hotplate made by Avantco that I bought 3 years ago. I use that thing every day, multiple times per day and it's great. Almost nothing I can't cook on it, but it is slow to boil a lot of water. Cost about $135.00, doesn't make the kitchen heat up, and extremely safe and energy efficient. Sits right on top of my glass top range. I highly recommend!

Old 05-31-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have a dual induction hotplate made by Avantco that I bought 3 years ago. I use that thing every day, multiple times per day and it's great. Almost nothing I can't cook on it, but it is slow to boil a lot of water. Cost about $135.00, doesn't make the kitchen heat up, and extremely safe and energy efficient. Sits right on top of my glass top range. I highly recommend!

Here's a problem I've encountered: My old range has raised burner holes and I can't get a hotplate to lay flat. I can't find where anyone makes a heat-proof cover.

Old 06-01-2022, 04:55 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
When I was between ranges I used a single burner hot plate, a very cheap thing I got at walmart. I made everything on it including eggs, popcorn and percolator coffee.

It wasn't great-difficult to regulate temperature, but it worked fine for the duration which was about 3 weeks. I always unplugged it when not in use.

Now it's in it's box on a shelf upstairs, labeled with the date of purchase, in case I ever need it again.

Just don't leave anything on it unsupervised. Stand right there when using it.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:03 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
It's a Farberware, dual-burner hot plate from Walmart. It looks like a well-made item. I'm guessing the warning is for liability purposes only, but I'm not 100% sure. My only gripe is that it won't set level atop my old range top.

In your first post you said it is single burner?

Old 06-01-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
In your first post you said it is single burner?

I did, and when I read the warning in the directions, I was leery and decided to go with a more expensive dual burner from Walmart. Lo and behold, the same warning was in the instructions for that burner. I'm sure the folks reading this thread are grateful for your having pointed out this oversight.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:34 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
I lived in an apartment at one time that didn't have a stove, but used my toaster oven, electric skillet, and microwave. I never had any problems using them at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House