Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 04:03 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Another option : UV-C

https://www.amazon.com/Germicidal-Sa...C3R/ref=sr_1_8

Put it on a timer, and zap the room for one hour.
You will be able to smell the dramatic difference.
Repeat as needed. . . Just don't run it too long.
Any UV sensitive furnishings will be affected.
That's another good suggestion--especially as the room is completely empty right now.

Both that and the ozone machine seem to be available on the second hand market, too, which is good as those are things that I'll likely use once, then turn around and resell when I'm done using them to resolve this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Vinegar and baking soda?
Those were my first line of attack after a thorough general cleaning of the space. They definitely took the edge off of the odor.

Old 05-29-2022, 04:43 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Did your renter use cumin in his/her cooking?

https://www.ehow.com/how_8187604_remove-cumin-odor.html

Old 05-29-2022, 04:47 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
consider adding to your rental agreement, for all future renters,
that it is NOT permitted to put mattress directly on floor.

that is standard to put in rental agreements. it is a problem to have mattress on floor for a number of reasons, including damp, mold, pest control, and (as you are finding) odor. i have lived in areas of the country that are known for mold, and rental agreements included no mattress on floor, plus windows required to be open a certain amount of time each day for air circulation.

Old 05-29-2022, 06:43 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Flamethrower? Small nuclear device? I think my mother considered those after I left home to go to college. Ultimately, they got rid of everything cloth from my room, and used baking soda on the carpet until the results were acceptable.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
consider adding to your rental agreement, for all future renters,
that it is NOT permitted to put mattress directly on floor.

that is standard to put in rental agreements. it is a problem to have mattress on floor for a number of reasons, including damp, mold, pest control, and (as you are finding) odor. i have lived in areas of the country that are known for mold, and rental agreements included no mattress on floor, plus windows required to be open a certain amount of time each day for air circulation.
This was a one-off situation (long story), so he'll likely be my one and only renter. Other than the lingering odor, he was a stellar renter and the extra income was well worth the odor left behind when he moved out.

The whole mattress sans bed frame seems to be a common thing with young men around here (especially those starting out without much in the way of material possessions) and is something that I've noticed from my time being friends with (and sometimes dating) men when I was in my late teens and twenties visit them at their homes and in my work that often brings me into rental properties.

I'm guessing that that language is somewhat regional as I was a renter for twelve years and never had that clause is any of my leases. Granted, I always rented from small, independent landlords and I haven't been a renter since 2007, so things might have changed in recent years in regards to general rules and regulations in a lease agreement.

I really think that the ozone machine will do the trick and am set to borrow one from a friend next Sunday. If it works, I'll be back with an update!

Old 05-29-2022, 07:51 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Fire is your friend.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:02 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Does the room have a ceiling fan? If so, try fully cleaning the fan. If not then do the light fixture. Does it have a window AC unit or is it a ducted in AC? If window unit then the smell is in the unit. If your not sure how to do a proper cleaning have it serviced. If ducted then remove and clean the air vents. Have you tackled the closets? Smells can linger in the closets. A professional floor cleaner could probably get rid of the smell if it’s in the floor. If the floor was tile or vinyl then it would be easy. With hardwood floors there are more gaps for those doors to linger.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Does the room have a ceiling fan? If so, try fully cleaning the fan. If not then do the light fixture. Does it have a window AC unit or is it a ducted in AC? If window unit then the smell is in the unit. If your not sure how to do a proper cleaning have it serviced. If ducted then remove and clean the air vents. Have you tackled the closets? Smells can linger in the closets. A professional floor cleaner could probably get rid of the smell if it’s in the floor. If the floor was tile or vinyl then it would be easy. With hardwood floors there are more gaps for those doors to linger.
Scrubbed from top to bottom, including the inside of the closets, the fan, the light the tops of the doors, etc. The room is cooled with a window unit in the summertime but that's as clean as a whistle and hasn't been in the room since last September when it was removed and cleaned for the season before being stored.

The house has baseboard hydronic heating; the baseboards fins were detailed with the shop vac and the flooring beneath them wiped with a vinegar and water solution. I was able to get the smell out of the curtains and rug by washing them thoroughly and hanging them up on the line outside.

The room is completely empty right now--including the closets and the windows and floor bare. I really do think that the ozone machine should work as the friend from whom I'm borrowing it used it to remove the stale cigarette odor from a used car. If it worked on that, it should work on this which isn't nearly as noxious as a smoker's car.

Old 05-29-2022, 08:29 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
I was going to suggest vinegar but I see you've done that.

We looked at purchasing a house a few years back that reeked highly of cat pee. I went on rental forums and found a product landlords and flippers swore by (I think it began with an "O"). We didn't buy the house so I wasn't able to try it. I did use KOE as mentioned above and that was a good product.

Shellac is an encapsulator of odors but it doesn't get rid of them. But a couple of coats may make it more bearable, or get rid of it completely for 5+ years. I *have* used that on cat pee and it worked well.

I've heard good things about ozone machines so I'm eager to see how that worked for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House