Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 11:25 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times

Advertisements

I had a food processor that turned out to be single-use. Broke the first time.

Didn't replace it, but once in a while, a recipe does need a food processor but usually I can get away with a blender or stick-blender.

Used to use the juicer every day, but not for years now....

Then there's the ping-pong table in the garage, sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 11:35 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
For the kitchen I prefer general purpose tools. Kitchenaid mixer with bread hook and standard oven rather than bread machine. Knife and cutting board rather than food processor.

It's been my experience (been doing home cooking for 45 years) that unless you're doing mass quantities and using the specialized-purpose appliances constantly, they end up taking up space and not being used.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:45 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
As Alton Brown says, the only unitasker in my kitchen is a fire extinguisher.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:21 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I don't have an ice bucket or a fondue set, but I do keep a tamale pot that only gets used once a year, and I'm keeping it because it is difficult to make tamales without it. It can be done, but is so much easier with the correct equipment.

Oh, and I keep a blender for making Blue Cheese salad dressing. For some inexplicable reason, it comes together perfect in the blender and the recipe won't work any other way. My mayonaise won't emulsify in the blender, but works like magic with the immersion blender. So I have to keep both of them and neither one of them gets used very often, but when I need them, I need them.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:21 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,758 times
I have a quesadilla maker (I just use a fry pan)
I have a three-level steamer (I use a sauce pan with a steamer insert)
I have a cutesy hot dog roller (I just toss a dog in the microwave or when feeling ambitious - on the grill)
I have a food processor (I just chop everything with a knife)

They were all great the first time I used them but setting them up and cleaning them was a pain. It's quicker just to cook everything the old fashioned way. Now, they are just dust collectors waiting for a new home.

I did get rid of the George Foreman Grill at least

Old 06-01-2022, 07:37 AM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
i don't even know what an "immersion blender" is, or how it is any different from just a "blender"

i'm old enough to remember when the "electric knife" was all the craze. i remember thinking even as a little kid what a silly thing that is.
oh, and the "Veg-O-Matic" was a big thing then too. It now resides in the National Museum of American History.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:38 AM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
the less stuff i have (inlcuding gadgets in the kitchen) the happier i am, and the easier my life is.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:22 AM

7,917 posts, read 3,458,721 times
I bought a knife once that was specifically made for scraping peanut butter out of the bottom of the jar. My wife said I'd never use it but she was wrong, I use it all the time! She and the kids do as well, for peanut butter and jelly and Fluff and Nutella...so I guess technically it isn't single purpose.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:11 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
The only single-purpose gadget I've found that doesn't have a substitute is a waffle-maker. Of course, some things make life a lot easier. I make a lot of soup and it's way simpler to puree it with an immersion blender than pouring it into a blender pitcher in batches.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:40 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well those are odd examples because they do perform a unique function other items in the house could NOT do. If you want to put flowers in a vase, you need a vase.

The single use items that my mother always complained about were hot-dog cookers and egg-cookers and George Foreman grills that only do one thing that could be done just as well with a regular multi-purpose pan.
Too funny! I use my George Foreman grill every week to cook up my chicken for the upcoming week. Definitely not something that could be done "just as well" in a pan. I put foil on, put chicken in the grill and close it. A few minutes later and it is done. Remove chicken, toss the foil. Perfectly grilled chicken. That's it. No turning, no checking it. No cleaning. Super easy. One of the most used appliances in my kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House