Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 07:25 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We have a 36-inch cooktop.
But our ovens (one speed and one convection) are 24-inch.
24-inch ovens are just fine, in my opinion. We do a lot of cooking.

But, most of the 24-inch ranges are low-end crap.
… ….
No, not all!
https://us.bertazzoni.com/products/r...e=148||24%20in

There are less expensive mostly Euro models: both induction and ranges, they look better than some standard 30”

https://www.appliancesconnection.com...-3477,355.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 09:46 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,662,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
No, not all!
https://us.bertazzoni.com/products/r...e=148||24%20in

There are less expensive mostly Euro models: both induction and ranges, they look better than some standard 30”

https://www.appliancesconnection.com...-3477,355.html

I don't see a single 24" induction range anywhere. Do you have a link?

Old 06-11-2022, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I don't see a single 24" induction range anywhere. Do you have a link?
Summit used to have one. Don’t see it now.

There is this one if the size and the money fits

https://www.build.com/aga-ahcin/s141...hId=oFttuXYaAT

Or ship this one?

https://www.johnlewis.com/stoves-ric...cream/p3518171

Maybe just go with a smooth top 24” range? Below all electric 24”
https://www.build.com/ranges/c109156...nalwidth_ds:24

Or you could separate: cook top and an wall oven?

Last edited by L00k4ward; 06-11-2022 at 05:21 AM..

Old 06-11-2022, 10:24 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
I would go with a 30" induction range. Induction heats up better than electric and you still get a smooth, easy to clean surface if you need a little extra space now and then. If you went with a 24" range, what were you planning on using the 6" of extra space for?

Old 06-11-2022, 12:10 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,662,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Summit used to have one. Don’t see it now.

There is this one if the size and the money fits

https://www.build.com/aga-ahcin/s141...hId=oFttuXYaAT

Or ship this one?

https://www.johnlewis.com/stoves-ric...cream/p3518171

Maybe just go with a smooth top 24” range? Below all electric 24”
https://www.build.com/ranges/c109156...nalwidth_ds:24

Or you could separate: cook top and an wall oven?

So there aren't any 24" induction ranges that are available to be delivered in the US. Not to mention, you'd never get parts or service for the one that's only sold in the UK.

Old 06-11-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
So there aren't any 24" induction ranges that are available to be delivered in the US. Not to mention, you'd never get parts or service for the one that's only sold in the UK.
Most of inductions here are cooktops anyway - could be something to do with the quality?
The ones here mostly tell you not to even install a wall oven underneath …
So you have 2 issues: an unusual size - 24” - which I have and prefer.
Second - you want induction in a range - which most euro countries do not use.

Everything is disposable now - not likely you would be repairing your cooker.

FWIW
I got an oven bulb from Italy just for the asking - the manufacturer wasn’t even here yet and I couldn’t find metric bulbs at that time - must be for high temperature ovens.
So I e-mailed them. They sent me a bulb gratis. From Italy.

Now the manufacturer is here and sell here directly.

Then one of my favorite function oven’s electric elements burned - we do a lot of high temp cooking ( I don’t even use any others functions in the oven - love and could use it for everything successfully- just that 1 function)

Thought it is time for a new range- decided to try to look at it - figured it is a toast anyway; was able to figure out the burned up element and found $30 replacement including shipping - on Internet - received it in a couple of days.
Installed it myself easily - was shocked that I was able to save thousands of dollars
It was plug and play

Old 06-12-2022, 06:16 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Do you anticipate moving again? Presumably, you're retired, living in a 55+ community. Is that where you anticipate staying until you either can no longer look after yourself or pass away? If that's the case, who cares about the resale value?

Practically speaking, I wouldn't do it unless you're talking about a small place, under 650 square feet. My first two places (650, then 425 sf) had that size range. But, the second two places (750 and 1000) both had the standard 30 incher.

If I were building my dream kitchen I'd have a 36 inch one, for reference. If, as an example, I'm cooking something like pasta with a sauce and meat, and using three burners, the top gets crowded.

If its a question of counter space, I'd get a stove width cutting board and set it on top of the stove.
Putting anything on top of a stove other than a metal pot is asking for trouble.

A free standing utility cart is a much better idea if more counterspace us needed.

Old 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I wouldn't. 24" ranges are an annoyance. The oven is tiny and I don't like the burners all squished together like that. I was over the moon when I moved from one apartment with a 24" range into an apartment with a behemoth 1950s 42" range. I wish I could have taken it with me when I moved.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:36 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Non standard appliances end up being a pain and will hurt any potential resale. Even 'standard size' appliances can end up being a problem when the market decides a new size is 'standard'. I had that problem when replacing a washer and dryer recently. Many of the new recommended brands are deeper (wall to front) than the traditional American brands. My problem is that my house was built in the 70s and the only way I could put the newer machines in would be to remove the counter and sink on the opposite wall (it is a matter of inches)

This wasn't a problem for us, we were not really considering any of the newer models anyway but whoever replaces the machines after us will have some serious decisions to make. Stick with the 'standard' 30" unless it absolutely won't fit. You or your successor will have more options when it comes to replacement time and it will probably be cheaper overall.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Non standard appliances end up being a pain and will hurt any potential resale. Even 'standard size' appliances can end up being a problem when the market decides a new size is 'standard'. I had that problem when replacing a washer and dryer recently. Many of the new recommended brands are deeper (wall to front) than the traditional American brands. My problem is that my house was built in the 70s and the only way I could put the newer machines in would be to remove the counter and sink on the opposite wall (it is a matter of inches)

This wasn't a problem for us, we were not really considering any of the newer models anyway but whoever replaces the machines after us will have some serious decisions to make. Stick with the 'standard' 30" unless it absolutely won't fit. You or your successor will have more options when it comes to replacement time and it will probably be cheaper overall.
I have an old drop-in stove with a (as of now) non-functioning downdraft incorporated and think the cost to replace it will probably be a good $10K because I have to totally redo the island it is in to accommodate any new sort of stove and venting system. I think when my mom wanted to replace her drop-in stove from the same era, she just redid the whole kitchen. That was in the late ‘80s or early ‘90s. I could redo just the island, but I think I want to do a separate cooktop with a wall oven so at least if I need to replace, I can replace only one part instead of having to redo the island a second time. Now my oven doesn’t even close/work and the repair person says he can’t even find a model number to know if there are replacement parts to get anything to work properly. Luckily the burners work and I have a small convection oven that really isn’t much smaller than the tiny oven in this range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House