Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 11:49 AM

798 posts, read 502,184 times

Advertisements

My neighbor installed concrete on their side of the shared old wooden fence. It is leaning into my swimming pool and jacuzzi which has just been re plastered and retiled ($17K). I was told by a Fence Contractor that it weighs between 2000-3000 lbs. The old fence is 54 inches long.

I have an extra post but I decided to use softness to see if the fence does fall it will soften the blow.

I found a few thick towels and blankets, packages of the Kirkland paper towel and tp unopened. Body pillows and an unopened queen size mattress rolled up in the box new.

I am covering the tile edges like sand dunes high with softness I hope it does not fall but the softness should help if I build it high enough around the jacuzzi and pool until the fence is replaced in 2 weeks.

I am slightly disabled and alone.

Any additional soft suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 11:56 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
You are seriously using bed pillows and paper towels outside to prop up the fence? (many, very confusing post)

Old 06-12-2022, 12:30 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I don't understand the post. The neighbor installed concrete ON the fence??? It's falling? And the fence is being replaced???

Totally confusing post.

Old 06-12-2022, 12:33 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I think pictures might really help here.

Old 06-12-2022, 12:34 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Call your local city office. Ask for a metro code inspector and explain your concerns. If the neighbor didn’t get a proper permit or was not built properly then the neighbor may have to take down the structure at his or her own cost.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:07 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Call your local city office. Ask for a metro code inspector and explain your concerns. If the neighbor didn’t get a proper permit or was not built properly then the neighbor may have to take down the structure at his or her own cost.
If I understood the confusing OP correctly, the neighbor didn't build or alter the fence itself, they poured concrete up to or against their side of an existing fence! Maybe the ground prep for the concrete pour weakened the fence's support making it less stable. Now its leaning into the OP's yard.

Then you wrote that the fence is scheduled to be replaced shortly. Who will be paying for that? Both of you? Trying to cushion the fall of this multi-thousand pound fence with cushions is sort of ridiculous. The situation is temporary. If you already have a fence contractor lined up to do the replacement, have them prop the fence up with posts in the mean time. If you can make the case that the neighbor's concrete pour destabilized the fence, have him pay for the additional work.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-12-2022 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-12-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If I understood the confusing OP correctly, the neighbor didn't build or alter the fence itself, they poured concrete up to or against their side of an existing fence! Maybe the ground prep for the concrete pour weakened the fence's support making it less stable. Now its leaning into the OP's yard.

Then you wrote that the fence is scheduled to be replaced shortly. Who will be paying for that? Both of you? Trying to cushion the fall of this multi-thousand pound fence with cushions is sort of ridiculous. The situation is temporary. If you already have a fence contractor lined up to do the replacement, have them prop the fence up with posts in the mean time. If you can make the case that the neighbor's concrete pour destabilized the fence, have him pay for the additional work.
I spoke with the contractor about the fence being ready to fall. He asked me to use a post to prop it up but I am disabled with my hands and wrists. Except I am not officially dxed as disabled. I have carpel tunnel syndrome. I thought about contacting some type of demolition contractor or engineering one to shore up the fence for the meantime. The paper towels are unopened as are the tp packages.

I do not know how to put pics and I am in pain now

Old 06-12-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't understand the post. The neighbor installed concrete ON the fence??? It's falling? And the fence is being replaced???

Totally confusing post.
Yes, years back they opened a daycare and wanted to make it private. There are tons of screws on my side where they screwed it on I thought it was drywall but it is some type of plaster or something heavy.
I had a date with a contractor in my hot tub and he is the one who alerted me to this issue.
He ghosted me so I cannot have him help me.

I found this and let my neighbor know of the legislature:

California's Good Neighbor Fence Law • RC Fences and Decks

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...sectionNum=841

I also wrote her 2 letters 1 in English and 1 in Espanol regarding the fence.

But I do not think She did it but her name is listed as sole owner on the San Diego County tax rolls.

I think she changed her mind about paying for 1/2 of the fence for replacing it because she says her side is fine.
$2650.00 is the total cost @ 54 feet long 6 feet tall cedar

Old 06-12-2022, 02:01 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Wait a minute.... didn't you post a big long thread about this fence a year ago?

Old 06-12-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Wait a minute.... didn't you post a big long thread about this fence a year ago?
That was a different neighbor. The one to the east. This is the north neighbor. I have a west neighbor also.
No problemo he works in construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House