Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:31 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,810,796 times

Advertisements

Cosmic, no one thought about what happens down the road, because 50 to 75 years ago, when many of these oil tanks were installed, no one even considered the world we live in today. The tank I just had abandoned was installed in 1952. That gentleman, long since deceased, was not worried about any problems I might encounter in 2008...!
Amy, your town government will not have information on the tank procedure, it's a state controlled thing. If you check with the company that did your testing, I'm sure they also do abandoning, and have all of the rules to keep you out of future trouble. Most tank companies doe the entire process, all you need to do it write the check, and file the paper work they send you. Once properly abandoned and certified by your state, there is no reason to consider removing the tank, it's just another unnecessary expense.
Someone mentioned the laws vary from state to state. That's true to a point, but it's a federally mandated law, so most states are very similar.
see related articles about NY
Legal Issues Regarding Buried Oil Storage Tanks - Home Heating Oil - Underground UST & Above ground Storage Tank Laws & Legal Issues - Testing, Replacement Guidelines
Underground news: beware life span of oil tanks -- -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/features/home/nyp-hsdr-061605,0,7731926.column - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 01:42 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,198,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Cosmic, no one thought about what happens down the road, because 50 to 75 years ago, when many of these oil tanks were installed, no one even considered the world we live in today. The tank I just had abandoned was installed in 1952. That gentleman, long since deceased, was not worried about any problems I might encounter in 2008...!
Amy, your town government will not have information on the tank procedure, it's a state controlled thing. If you check with the company that did your testing, I'm sure they also do abandoning, and have all of the rules to keep you out of future trouble. Most tank companies doe the entire process, all you need to do it write the check, and file the paper work they send you. Once properly abandoned and certified by your state, there is no reason to consider removing the tank, it's just another unnecessary expense.
Someone mentioned the laws vary from state to state. That's true to a point, but it's a federally mandated law, so most states are very similar.
Legal Issues Regarding Buried Oil Storage Tanks - Home Heating Oil - Underground UST & Above ground Storage Tank Laws & Legal Issues - Testing, Replacement Guidelines
Underground news: beware life span of oil tanks -- -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/features/home/nyp-hsdr-061605,0,7731926.column - broken link)
Good links. The county heath department is an extension of the state.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:48 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,810,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylauren View Post
Thank you-I read it but I've got the procedure aspects down, its just whether or not it could hold a structure.
Volume in gallons Tank Dimensions
675 46x96"
500 45x72"
340 48x48"
270 36x72"

The tanks are not big, at the biggest. If it is filled with gravel or concrete, even it the metal were to rust to nothing, there is nothing to collapse. The wall thickness is negligable, so you could build a skyscraper on top if it, and if the metal disappeared, there would be no further compaction.
Once abandonded, the state considers it to no longer exists.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:09 PM

175 posts, read 598,534 times
Quote:
Volume in gallons Tank Dimensions
675 46x96"
500 45x72"
340 48x48"
270 36x72"

The tanks are not big, at the biggest. If it is filled with gravel or concrete, even it the metal were to rust to nothing, there is nothing to collapse. The wall thickness is negligable, so you could build a skyscraper on top if it, and if the metal disappeared, there would be no further compaction.
Once abandonded, the state considers it to no longer exists.

Thanks-do you happen to know the dimensions of a 1000 gallon tank. Everyone-town and owner- thought the tank was 550 but when trying to test the soil, the guy kept hitting it and thought it was a 1000 gallon tank.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:33 PM

175 posts, read 598,534 times
Quote:

Thank you so much for the link. I'm going to spend time tomorrow reading it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post a response!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:29 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
Don't know much about underground tanks...

A good friend was raised on a farm and when he was born the farm had above ground tank that was gravity fed to refill the tractors...

Sometime in the 50's his Grandfather had to bury the tank and buy a pump to comply with fire regulations and/or farm insurance...

Before they sold the property in the late 70's the developer told them the tank had to be dug up... which his uncle did.

So, 35 years later with no tank in the ground... I guess there could still be a problem?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:32 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,198,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Don't know much about underground tanks...

A good friend was raised on a farm and when he was born the farm had above ground tank that was gravity fed to refill the tractors...

Sometime in the 50's his Grandfather had to bury the tank and buy a pump to comply with fire regulations and/or farm insurance...

Before they sold the property in the late 70's the developer told them the tank had to be dug up... which his uncle did.

So, 35 years later with no tank in the ground... I guess there could still be a problem?
That is a long time. If there was a record, there is a chance. My guess is it would be fine.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:38 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
Thanks Driller1... I learn something everyday between you and cosmic

Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,530,043 times
Remove the tank and check the surronding soil for leaking oil. Pray you don't find any. do not build over an existing underground tank.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:25 AM

431 posts, read 1,637,693 times
if you are going to do something you might as well do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House