Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 06:52 AM

741 posts, read 1,738,811 times

Advertisements

I am planning to replace the existing siding with new siding and also install new gutters, soffits and fascia boards.

Please advise what needs to be done in the places where the siding meets the roof.

For example do I need to make sure the Step flashing, Ice and Water Shielding are in place as shown in the
following video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9z2jWAsL_k

To avoid damage to the siding due to the rain water from steep roof, do I need to make sure kickout divertor (kick flashing) is in place as shown in the following video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VoJq4-T0go

Is there anything else I need to make sure sidings are installed properly and its interaction with the roof does not cause an issue....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 07:55 AM

6,337 posts, read 4,061,568 times
There’s really no way to determine if there’s ice & water shield in place without removing roof shingles unless you can see the material if they let it run up the wall when it was installed.

How old are the roof shingles? If they are near the end of their life, it would be best to replace them prior to installing the siding.

Also, as indicated in the video, it would be added protection to install a counter flashing along the roof line over the step flashing and under the “J Trim” (and siding) that terminates the cut ends of the siding adjacent and against to the roof shingles.

I also believe it’s best to keep the “J Trim” spaced slightly above the shingles to allow water & or debris to quickly escape and not be trapped. You can discuss this detail with your contractor prior to commencement of the work.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

How old are the roof shingles? If they are near the end of their life, it would be best to replace them prior to installing the siding.
The roof shingles are brand new. I just replaced the old roof and installed the new roof 6 months back.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:12 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
If you just had the roof done- you should know what's there.

And, since you didn't specify what kind of siding it would be hard to say what little idiosyncrasies there may be. Kickout flashing seems to be a lost art with most roofing companies- so if you don't say something to the crew about kickouts where needed you probably won't get them.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:27 PM

Another nice YT video related to this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xu6i3pocz4

Old 06-14-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If you just had the roof done- you should know what's there.

And, since you didn't specify what kind of siding it would be hard to say what little idiosyncrasies there may be. Kickout flashing seems to be a lost art with most roofing companies- so if you don't say something to the crew about kickouts where needed you probably won't get them.
I am planning to go with Hardi Plank Siding

Old 06-14-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post

If the roof runs diagonally along the wall- the step flashing goes behind the housewrap. The siding should be cut to stand off the roof by at least 1-1/2"; Hardie requires 2". I personally don't like the look of a 2" reveal- but step flashing that's the same color/painted as the siding does help. The first course should have a starter strip attached to it's bottom edge. These and other items of note are below-

https://www.jameshardiepros.com/geta...-hz5-us-en.pdf

Also, what area of the country? Hardie has different applications for different areas.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:45 PM

6,337 posts, read 4,061,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
Be sure to have the (butt ends) if vertical or cut ends of the Hardi Plank that are adjacent to the roof sealed as Ive been aware of issues with them wicking up water and or moisture. A decent contractor should be well aware of this possible issue.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Be sure to have the (butt ends) if vertical or cut ends of the Hardi Plank that are adjacent to the roof sealed as Ive been aware of issues with them wicking up water and or moisture. A decent contractor should be well aware of this possible issue.

Not really an issue if you go with the 2” clearance- as specified by Hardie.

Hardie did a lot of things the right way because they learned all the mistakes from the LP disaster and CL suit. They will adamantly defend their warranty if it is not isstalled by a “qualified installer” that has gone through their training.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:20 AM

9,123 posts, read 14,668,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Not really an issue if you go with the 2” clearance- as specified by Hardie.

Hardie did a lot of things the right way because they learned all the mistakes from the LP disaster and CL suit. They will adamantly defend their warranty if it is not isstalled by a “qualified installer” that has gone through their training.
They still call for sealing of all cut ends in their installation instructions.

(These are for the HZ10 but the ones you posted for HZ 5 are similar in this regard IIRC. https://www.jameshardiepros.com/geta...ae7e41bc6195fa
Attached Thumbnails
Siding and Roof Intersection - Precautions to be taken when installing new siding-2a36e4e3-13c5-42e6-97d5-c8141ef9c5dd.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House